Hello. I tryed to upgrade my harddrive using norton ghost. I just copyed the
partion to a new one on the new drive. computer did not like. just hung up
trying
to load operating system. windows xp home edition. Should I have tryed making
a image. Also there is a hidden partion called sys_save. Do I need this
moved to
my new drive??

Your new hard drive should have come with software to clone
the old drive to the new one (either on CD or you can
download) and that is what you should use. They also will
have instructions.

"bigrig0424" <bigrig0424@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| Hello. I tryed to upgrade my harddrive using norton ghost.
I just copyed the
| partion to a new one on the new drive. computer did not
like. just hung up
| trying
| to load operating system. windows xp home edition. Should
I have tryed making
| a image. Also there is a hidden partion called sys_save.
Do I need this
| moved to
| my new drive??

Jim, do you know if you can clone just one partition on a harddrive to
another harddrive of do you have to do the whole disk.

For example my primary HDD is split C: (winxp boot 60 GB) and D: (data,
games 100 GB). I would like to clone just the C: partition to a Seagate 60
GB HDD as a backup.

Thanks, r.

> Your new hard drive should have come with software to clone
> the old drive to the new one (either on CD or you can
> download) and that is what you should use. They also will
> have instructions.

> "bigrig0424" <bigrig0424@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> | Hello. I tryed to upgrade my harddrive using norton ghost.
> I just copyed the
> | partion to a new one on the new drive. computer did not
> like. just hung up
> | trying
> | to load operating system. windows xp home edition. Should
> I have tryed making
> | a image. Also there is a hidden partion called sys_save.
> Do I need this
> | moved to
> | my new drive??

What software do you have and what does it say in their
instructions? I would think that you could do each
partition individually.

I would not worry about backing up the boot drive IF all
that you have on it is replaceable programs and downloaded
files that can be replaced in a matter of minutes or hours
on the web or from CDs. I would want to backup the data
that is important, such as financial, family and that novel
you've been working on for a decade.

I think I would just use the 60 GB drive to backup My
Documents and such. I would also move the working My
Documents and email storage folders to the D: drive, leaving
just the OS and applications on C: Of course, everybody has
their own idea of the "perfect" use for drives and how they
are organized.

"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
| Jim, do you know if you can clone just one partition on a
harddrive to
| another harddrive of do you have to do the whole disk.
|
| For example my primary HDD is split C: (winxp boot 60 GB)
and D: (data,
| games 100 GB). I would like to clone just the C:
partition to a Seagate 60
| GB HDD as a backup.
|
| Thanks, r.

in message
| > Your new hard drive should have come with software to
clone
| > the old drive to the new one (either on CD or you can
| > download) and that is what you should use. They also
will
| > have instructions.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "bigrig0424" <bigrig0424@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in
| > message

| > | Hello. I tryed to upgrade my harddrive using norton
ghost.
| > I just copyed the
| > | partion to a new one on the new drive. computer did
not
| > like. just hung up
| > | trying
| > | to load operating system. windows xp home edition.
Should
| > I have tryed making
| > | a image. Also there is a hidden partion called
sys_save.
| > Do I need this
| > | moved to
| > | my new drive??

Thanks Jim.

BTW - all critical data I backup regularly to cd-r. It's more the operating
system and program setups that I am interested in backing up. Seagate
Diskwizard looks like it might backup partions - I'll give it a whirl.

r.

> What software do you have and what does it say in their
> instructions? I would think that you could do each
> partition individually.
>
> I would not worry about backing up the boot drive IF all
> that you have on it is replaceable programs and downloaded
> files that can be replaced in a matter of minutes or hours
> on the web or from CDs. I would want to backup the data
> that is important, such as financial, family and that novel
> you've been working on for a decade.
>
> I think I would just use the 60 GB drive to backup My
> Documents and such. I would also move the working My
> Documents and email storage folders to the D: drive, leaving
> just the OS and applications on C: Of course, everybody has
> their own idea of the "perfect" use for drives and how they
> are organized.

> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
> | Jim, do you know if you can clone just one partition on a
> harddrive to
> | another harddrive of do you have to do the whole disk.
> |
> | For example my primary HDD is split C: (winxp boot 60 GB)
> and D: (data,
> | games 100 GB). I would like to clone just the C:
> partition to a Seagate 60
> | GB HDD as a backup.
> |
> | Thanks, r.
> |

> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > Your new hard drive should have come with software to
> clone
> | > the old drive to the new one (either on CD or you can
> | > download) and that is what you should use. They also
> will
> | > have instructions.
> | >

> | > --
> | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> | >

> | > "bigrig0424" <bigrig0424@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in
> | > message

> ghost.
> | > I just copyed the
> not
> | > like. just hung up
> Should
> | > I have tryed making
> sys_save.
> | > Do I need this

The advantage of using a hard drive is that you can backup
the data very quickly, perhaps even automatically. Then you
can use your CD-R (maybe a DVD-R, they're getting cheap) to
archive and store the data off site.

| Thanks Jim.
|
| BTW - all critical data I backup regularly to cd-r. It's
more the operating
| system and program setups that I am interested in backing
up. Seagate
| Diskwizard looks like it might backup partions - I'll give
it a whirl.

| r.

in message
| > What software do you have and what does it say in their
| > instructions? I would think that you could do each
| > partition individually.
| >
| > I would not worry about backing up the boot drive IF all
| > that you have on it is replaceable programs and
downloaded
| > files that can be replaced in a matter of minutes or
hours
| > on the web or from CDs. I would want to backup the data
| > that is important, such as financial, family and that
novel
| > you've been working on for a decade.
| >
| > I think I would just use the 60 GB drive to backup My
| > Documents and such. I would also move the working My
| > Documents and email storage folders to the D: drive,
leaving
| > just the OS and applications on C: Of course, everybody
has
| > their own idea of the "perfect" use for drives and how
they
| > are organized.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
| > | Jim, do you know if you can clone just one partition
on a
| > harddrive to
| > | another harddrive of do you have to do the whole disk.
| > |
| > | For example my primary HDD is split C: (winxp boot 60
GB)
| > and D: (data,
| > | games 100 GB). I would like to clone just the C:
| > partition to a Seagate 60
| > | GB HDD as a backup.
| > |
| > | Thanks, r.
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
| > clone
can
also
| > will

rights;
overcome.

| > wrote in

norton
| > ghost.
did
| > not
| > Should
| > sys_save.

| > |
| > |

Yeah, I'm behind the times and maybe doing things backasswards. However
reloading the OS and programs complete with customization is a big time
commitment to me.

r.

FYI - Seagate Diskwizard for Windows allowed me to clone drive C: (60GB boot
partition) to a seagate 60GB HDD. Now I just have to make sure the Data
Life Guard Tools will allow me to send it back to the 60 GB partion on the
160 GB drive.