Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2005 10:03:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Well i recently bought a motherboard from Tigerdirect.com. Its a
Chaintech CT-7NJL6, but i am having a few problems with it. When i hook
it up it doesn't want to seem to run. I went over the connectors and
everything is hooked up properly, but still nothing. I have a Antec 350
watt power supply that i just bought but it doesn't seem to work with
it. So i tried a 300 and it blew it up (the power supply) so i dropped
back to a generic 250 Watt and still it doesn't work. I have noticed
that sometimes if u hold up on the 20 pin connector that the fans will
start running wit the 250W but nothing wit the 350W. What could be the
problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks for your
time.

More about : motherboard

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2005 10:06:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

nothing happens...it doesn't even try to start...its like the power
connector isn't connected.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2005 3:03:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

"Craziness1621" <craziness16212004@yahoo.com> wrote
> Well i recently bought a motherboard from Tigerdirect.com. Its a
> Chaintech CT-7NJL6, but i am having a few problems with it. When i hook
> it up it doesn't want to seem to run. I went over the connectors and
> everything is hooked up properly, but still nothing. I have a Antec 350
> watt power supply that i just bought but it doesn't seem to work with
> it. So i tried a 300 and it blew it up (the power supply) so i dropped
> back to a generic 250 Watt and still it doesn't work. I have noticed
> that sometimes if u hold up on the 20 pin connector that the fans will
> start running wit the 250W but nothing wit the 350W. What could be the
> problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks for your
> time.

So you mean blank picture when you push the power button
but everything else starts running (HD, fans)? Or is it completely
dead?

If the first case, have you tried to boot with absolute minimun
stuff connected to the mainboard (CPU, video card)?
Or without video card so that the mainboard should make
some beeping noises.
Related resources
February 7, 2005 11:19:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Please describe your system, it might give us a clue to possible solutions.

The Antec 350W should be just fine. Is it properly set for your region's
power (110 for US, 215 for just about everywhere else)? Coming from Miami
(assuming you bought the PS at TigerDirect), the setting should be 110.
Ensure the power switch on the back of the PS is set to on.

How did you install the motherboard? How many standoffs did you use, and
did you use non-ferrous washers? Is it possible that one of the screws is
shorting a circuit?

Is your case power switch properly connected to connector C1A? Refer to
page 12 of your manual.

What kind of CPU (2900+?) and heatsink? Ensure that the heatsink is
properly set on the chip and not resting on the edge of the ZIF socket.
Also ensure that the cooling fan is plugged in to the correct slot. The AC
power to the PS should be disconnected before you install the cpu.

Is there a memory chip in bank DDR 1?

I hope this helps. I recently bought the CT-7NJL6 with the 2900 chip from
Tigerdirect. I also bought a Thermaltake TR2 heatsink and fan, and the XFX
5200 video card. Everything went in a new, cheap case I bought from
computergeeks.com, with one PNY DDR333 512 MB DIMM in DDR 1. My drives
include a 160GB Diamondmax ATA drive cable-select on IDE channel 1, and a
16x DVD-RW cable-select on IDE 2. I got a clean POST and installed XP SP1.

I have since installed all updates just short of XP2, and installed all my
apps. I added another PNY DDR333 512 MB DIMM in DDr 3 to take advantage of
the dual-channel feature, another 80 GB Diamondmax drive as CS slave on IDE
1, and a 16X DVD-ROM as CS slave on IDE 2.

The only glitch so far is that I had to manually set the FSB frequency to
200 for the Athlon 2900+ CPU. The board selected 133 MHz as the default
speed, giving the system a 1.3 GHz rating. With the 200 MHz setting, I get
1.99 GHz.

v/r, Guy

"Craziness1621" <craziness16212004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> nothing happens...it doesn't even try to start...its like the power
> connector isn't connected.

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2005 4:05:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

You got some really good tips from Guy. Another thing, I would never use a
PSU smaller than 350w. If anything, go bigger. Like Guy said, recheck your
leads from your case power switch and ensure the are connected to the
correct pins. In addition, check that you have those leads in the correct
orientation +pos -neg. If that doesn't work I would guess you have a
grounding problem and or short some where.

I'm not sure if that board has CPU jumpers for FSB or the default setting
should be set to auto detect. Crack your manual open and double check all
cennections and jumper settings.

Good luck

> Well i recently bought a motherboard from Tigerdirect.com. Its a
> Chaintech CT-7NJL6, but i am having a few problems with it. When i hook
> it up it doesn't want to seem to run. I went over the connectors and
> everything is hooked up properly, but still nothing. I have a Antec 350
> watt power supply that i just bought but it doesn't seem to work with
> it. So i tried a 300 and it blew it up (the power supply) so i dropped
> back to a generic 250 Watt and still it doesn't work. I have noticed
> that sometimes if u hold up on the 20 pin connector that the fans will
> start running wit the 250W but nothing wit the 350W. What could be the
> problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks for your
> time.

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 9, 2005 1:57:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

"jlcarriere" <jlcarriere@charter.net> wrote
> You got some really good tips from Guy. Another thing, I would never use
> a PSU smaller than 350w. If anything, go bigger.

I think it's not that simple with PSUs, just to "go bigger".
I have 350W Codegen but what I've heard and read,
any 250W from "Quality Manufacturer" would be better
than this. Plus I'm a bit worried if this is such a bad-quality
PSU that it can blow up my PC in any moment...
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 9, 2005 1:57:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

I don't think it is as simple as the PSU either, however, with the new
systems that demand a lot more power I wouldn't go lower than a 350w PSU.
Better to have more power than try to push a PSU to max and burn up a PSU
and whatever else it takes with it. Talk to any PC tech and I asure you
they will never recommend a small PSU.

I hope you get your system working.

"de Moni" <demonimummFILTER@mail.com> wrote in message
> "jlcarriere" <jlcarriere@charter.net> wrote
>> You got some really good tips from Guy. Another thing, I would never use
>> a PSU smaller than 350w. If anything, go bigger.
>
> I think it's not that simple with PSUs, just to "go bigger".
> I have 350W Codegen but what I've heard and read,
> any 250W from "Quality Manufacturer" would be better
> than this. Plus I'm a bit worried if this is such a bad-quality
> PSU that it can blow up my PC in any moment...

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 9, 2005 1:59:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

2900?Can't find any 2900 CPU's.

> Well i recently bought a motherboard from Tigerdirect.com. Its a
>> Chaintech CT-7NJL6, but i am having a few problems with it. When i hook
>> it up it doesn't want to seem to run. I went over the connectors and
>> everything is hooked up properly, but still nothing. I have a Antec 350
>> watt power supply that i just bought but it doesn't seem to work with
>> it. So i tried a 300 and it blew it up (the power supply) so i dropped
>> back to a generic 250 Watt and still it doesn't work.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2005 5:42:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

I just recently purchased the Chaintech CT-7NJL6 with an Athlon 2900+
as well. It also didn't want to turn on the first time I tried. I
soon discovered that by unplugging the USB cable that went to the
front of my case from the secondary connector on the MB fixed the
problem.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2005 12:36:25 AM

"" wrote:
> I just recently purchased the Chaintech CT-7NJL6 with an
> Athlon 2900+
> as well. It also didn't want to turn on the first time I
> tried. I
> soon discovered that by unplugging the USB cable that went to
> the
> front of my case from the secondary connector on the MB fixed
> the
> problem.

just got one of those myself now won’t power up.... bad board?? :x

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Motherboard-fto...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=295996
July 7, 2005 7:35:54 PM

"" wrote:
> Well i recently bought a motherboard from Tigerdirect.com. Its
> Chaintech CT-7NJL6, but i am having a few problems with it.
> When i hook
> it up it doesn't want to seem to run. I went over the
> connectors and
> everything is hooked up properly, but still nothing. I have a
> Antec 350
> watt power supply that i just bought but it doesn't seem to
> work with
> it. So i tried a 300 and it blew it up (the power supply) so i
> dropped
> back to a generic 250 Watt and still it doesn't work. I have
> noticed
> that sometimes if u hold up on the 20 pin connector that the
> fans will
> start running wit the 250W but nothing wit the 350W. What
> could be the
> problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks
> for your
> time.

Hi,

I have a similar kind of problem. What I have found out is that it is
the heatsink and the fan. If you not have enought pressure and proper
alignment with the notched up side of the CPU socket, it would not
fireup. It would seem as if the MB is dead. Try this. Place the
fan/heatsink on the CPU and apply some pressure(in some cases more
than just some pressure) with your fingers on to the fan/heatsink
corners. It should start up.

I have tried the same on mine, whenever I get the right combination of
pressure, it fires up and runs. You reduce the pressure and it kills
everything.

Parm

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Motherboard-fto...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=296333
July 11, 2005 7:35:48 AM

"" wrote:
> Well i recently bought a motherboard from Tigerdirect.com. Its
> Chaintech CT-7NJL6, but i am having a few problems with it.
> When i hook
> it up it doesn't want to seem to run. I went over the
> connectors and
> everything is hooked up properly, but still nothing. I have a
> Antec 350
> watt power supply that i just bought but it doesn't seem to
> work with
> it. So i tried a 300 and it blew it up (the power supply) so i
> dropped
> back to a generic 250 Watt and still it doesn't work. I have
> noticed
> that sometimes if u hold up on the 20 pin connector that the
> fans will
> start running wit the 250W but nothing wit the 350W. What
> could be the
> problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks
> for your
> time.

It is the fan and the heat sink. I had the same problem. I just bought
a heavier fan and heat sink (copper heatsink) applied some thermal
compound and guess what, it is all working fine.

For the Socket A you have to have this kind of fan and heatsink, I
have tried three other heatsink/fan combos but none of them worked.
The only other problem that I had was that for my Duron processor the
default CPU frequency did not work. I had to change it to 100 MHz.

Parm

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Motherboard-fto...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=297563
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 11, 2005 7:36:52 AM

"parm" wrote:
>It is the fan and the heat sink. I had the same problem. I just
bought
>a heavier fan and heat sink (copper heatsink) applied some thermal
>compound and guess what, it is all working fine.
>
>For the Socket A you have to have this kind of fan and heatsink, I
>have tried three other heatsink/fan combos but none of them worked.
>The only other problem that I had was that for my Duron processor the
>default CPU frequency did not work. I had to change it to 100 MHz.
>
>Parm

If you where answering my question. HIGHLY unlikely that the heatsink
is the problem, that doesn’t explain the PC working PERFECTLY with an
old 300W psu. BTW the mobo has a retail 1800+ with AMD heatsink and
plenty of paste!

Thanks for the reply
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2005 8:41:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Hi, we purchased the barebone kit from TigerDirect that came with the
CT-7NJL6 motherboard. We purchased the Maxtor hard drive to go along
as well as a cd burner. Everything is working well, sort of, and
then my husband installs Guild Wars and it automatically just
restarts itself for no reason. We had a little trouble getting
Windows installed in the beginning because the memory needed to be in
the second slot instead of the first one. Once we got that figured
out then we were able to get windows installed. When rebooting the
machine will often lose the hard drive and only see the CD and if you
reboot a couple of times then it will see it again .. very odd. I
haven't seen this before. But, we are up and running except for when
we try to go to Guild Wars and it restarts. COuld there be a short in
the board some place?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Renee
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2005 6:42:34 PM

"pearmanr" wrote:
>Hi, we purchased the barebone kit from TigerDirect that came with the
>CT-7NJL6 motherboard. ...
>we try to go to Guild Wars and it restarts. COuld there be a short in
>the board some place?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>Renee

I would try changing the HD IDE cable, make sure you have a ATA133
rated cable for the harddrive. are the HD and CD rom on the same
IDE???

I usually install the HD on IDE0 with a ATA133 cable and the CDrom on
IDE1 with a regular ATA66 cable.

BTW my system has been running great with the old power supply.
received all the rebates except for the chainteck $30 and $10 it’s
been exactly 2 months. but they won’t take inquires until Oct. 1st.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Motherboard-fto...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=311601
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2005 6:42:37 PM

"pearmanr" wrote:
>Hi, we purchased the barebone kit from TigerDirect that came with the
>CT-7NJL6 motherboard. We purchased the Maxtor hard drive to go along
>as well as a cd burner. Everything is working well, sort of, and
>then my husband installs Guild Wars and it automatically just
>restarts itself for no reason. ...
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>Renee

About the Guild Wars, It sounds like a driver not being compatible.
maybe video driver, check guild wars fo updates or your hardware
manufactures for the latest drivers.

good luck!

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Motherboard-fto...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=311602
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2005 8:33:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Hi there,

I had exactly the same problem. I purchased "Chaintech 7NJL6 Socket A
Barebone Kit / AMD Athlon XP 3000+ / 512MB PC3200 / Ultra Cooling Fan
/ Ultra UV Mid-Tower Case / X-Connect 500 Watt PS" - giving this is my
first experience for a barebone kit, it came with almost 0
instructions except the manual for the pwer supply and motherboard.
I put it all together - and nothing happened. It seemed to me the
power supply was faulty so I sent it back. Got a new one, connected
it - same issue. Then I found this message board about the missing
CPU fan - it was not part of the barebone kit. I ordered the "Speeze
Socket A/370 CPU Ultra Quiet Blue LED Fan", mounted it on the CPU -
and everything worked.
Instead of the CPU fan there was a case fan - 80 mm whereas the
opening at the back of the case is 120mm.
So no recommendation for the novice user to order from TigerDirect, no
help from there... it was cheap, will have to see for the rebates, but
a lot more trouble I asked for.

Thanks for this forum and all your messages !
September 15, 2005 12:44:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Congrats - the only way to learn building a PC is going
through it.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA