Motherboard

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Well i recently bought a motherboard from Tigerdirect.com. Its a
Chaintech CT-7NJL6, but i am having a few problems with it. When i hook
it up it doesn't want to seem to run. I went over the connectors and
everything is hooked up properly, but still nothing. I have a Antec 350
watt power supply that i just bought but it doesn't seem to work with
it. So i tried a 300 and it blew it up (the power supply) so i dropped
back to a generic 250 Watt and still it doesn't work. I have noticed
that sometimes if u hold up on the 20 pin connector that the fans will
start running wit the 250W but nothing wit the 350W. What could be the
problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks for your
time.
17
answers
Last reply
More about motherboard
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    nothing happens...it doesn't even try to start...its like the power
    connector isn't connected.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "Craziness1621" <craziness16212004@yahoo.com> wrote
    > Well i recently bought a motherboard from Tigerdirect.com. Its a
    > Chaintech CT-7NJL6, but i am having a few problems with it. When i hook
    > it up it doesn't want to seem to run. I went over the connectors and
    > everything is hooked up properly, but still nothing. I have a Antec 350
    > watt power supply that i just bought but it doesn't seem to work with
    > it. So i tried a 300 and it blew it up (the power supply) so i dropped
    > back to a generic 250 Watt and still it doesn't work. I have noticed
    > that sometimes if u hold up on the 20 pin connector that the fans will
    > start running wit the 250W but nothing wit the 350W. What could be the
    > problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks for your
    > time.

    So you mean blank picture when you push the power button
    but everything else starts running (HD, fans)? Or is it completely
    dead?

    If the first case, have you tried to boot with absolute minimun
    stuff connected to the mainboard (CPU, video card)?
    Or without video card so that the mainboard should make
    some beeping noises.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Please describe your system, it might give us a clue to possible solutions.

    The Antec 350W should be just fine. Is it properly set for your region's
    power (110 for US, 215 for just about everywhere else)? Coming from Miami
    (assuming you bought the PS at TigerDirect), the setting should be 110.
    Ensure the power switch on the back of the PS is set to on.

    How did you install the motherboard? How many standoffs did you use, and
    did you use non-ferrous washers? Is it possible that one of the screws is
    shorting a circuit?

    Is your case power switch properly connected to connector C1A? Refer to
    page 12 of your manual.

    What kind of CPU (2900+?) and heatsink? Ensure that the heatsink is
    properly set on the chip and not resting on the edge of the ZIF socket.
    Also ensure that the cooling fan is plugged in to the correct slot. The AC
    power to the PS should be disconnected before you install the cpu.

    Is there a memory chip in bank DDR 1?

    I hope this helps. I recently bought the CT-7NJL6 with the 2900 chip from
    Tigerdirect. I also bought a Thermaltake TR2 heatsink and fan, and the XFX
    5200 video card. Everything went in a new, cheap case I bought from
    computergeeks.com, with one PNY DDR333 512 MB DIMM in DDR 1. My drives
    include a 160GB Diamondmax ATA drive cable-select on IDE channel 1, and a
    16x DVD-RW cable-select on IDE 2. I got a clean POST and installed XP SP1.

    I have since installed all updates just short of XP2, and installed all my
    apps. I added another PNY DDR333 512 MB DIMM in DDr 3 to take advantage of
    the dual-channel feature, another 80 GB Diamondmax drive as CS slave on IDE
    1, and a 16X DVD-ROM as CS slave on IDE 2.

    The only glitch so far is that I had to manually set the FSB frequency to
    200 for the Athlon 2900+ CPU. The board selected 133 MHz as the default
    speed, giving the system a 1.3 GHz rating. With the 200 MHz setting, I get
    1.99 GHz.

    v/r, Guy

    "Craziness1621" <craziness16212004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > nothing happens...it doesn't even try to start...its like the power
    > connector isn't connected.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    You got some really good tips from Guy. Another thing, I would never use a
    PSU smaller than 350w. If anything, go bigger. Like Guy said, recheck your
    leads from your case power switch and ensure the are connected to the
    correct pins. In addition, check that you have those leads in the correct
    orientation +pos -neg. If that doesn't work I would guess you have a
    grounding problem and or short some where.

    I'm not sure if that board has CPU jumpers for FSB or the default setting
    should be set to auto detect. Crack your manual open and double check all
    cennections and jumper settings.

    Good luck

    > Well i recently bought a motherboard from Tigerdirect.com. Its a
    > Chaintech CT-7NJL6, but i am having a few problems with it. When i hook
    > it up it doesn't want to seem to run. I went over the connectors and
    > everything is hooked up properly, but still nothing. I have a Antec 350
    > watt power supply that i just bought but it doesn't seem to work with
    > it. So i tried a 300 and it blew it up (the power supply) so i dropped
    > back to a generic 250 Watt and still it doesn't work. I have noticed
    > that sometimes if u hold up on the 20 pin connector that the fans will
    > start running wit the 250W but nothing wit the 350W. What could be the
    > problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks for your
    > time.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "jlcarriere" <jlcarriere@charter.net> wrote
    > You got some really good tips from Guy. Another thing, I would never use
    > a PSU smaller than 350w. If anything, go bigger.

    I think it's not that simple with PSUs, just to "go bigger".
    I have 350W Codegen but what I've heard and read,
    any 250W from "Quality Manufacturer" would be better
    than this. Plus I'm a bit worried if this is such a bad-quality
    PSU that it can blow up my PC in any moment...
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    I don't think it is as simple as the PSU either, however, with the new
    systems that demand a lot more power I wouldn't go lower than a 350w PSU.
    Better to have more power than try to push a PSU to max and burn up a PSU
    and whatever else it takes with it. Talk to any PC tech and I asure you
    they will never recommend a small PSU.

    I hope you get your system working.

    "de Moni" <demonimummFILTER@mail.com> wrote in message
    > "jlcarriere" <jlcarriere@charter.net> wrote
    >> You got some really good tips from Guy. Another thing, I would never use
    >> a PSU smaller than 350w. If anything, go bigger.
    >
    > I think it's not that simple with PSUs, just to "go bigger".
    > I have 350W Codegen but what I've heard and read,
    > any 250W from "Quality Manufacturer" would be better
    > than this. Plus I'm a bit worried if this is such a bad-quality
    > PSU that it can blow up my PC in any moment...

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    2900?Can't find any 2900 CPU's.

    > Well i recently bought a motherboard from Tigerdirect.com. Its a
    >> Chaintech CT-7NJL6, but i am having a few problems with it. When i hook
    >> it up it doesn't want to seem to run. I went over the connectors and
    >> everything is hooked up properly, but still nothing. I have a Antec 350
    >> watt power supply that i just bought but it doesn't seem to work with
    >> it. So i tried a 300 and it blew it up (the power supply) so i dropped
    >> back to a generic 250 Watt and still it doesn't work.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    I just recently purchased the Chaintech CT-7NJL6 with an Athlon 2900+
    as well. It also didn't want to turn on the first time I tried. I
    soon discovered that by unplugging the USB cable that went to the
    front of my case from the secondary connector on the MB fixed the
    problem.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > I just recently purchased the Chaintech CT-7NJL6 with an
    > Athlon 2900+
    > as well. It also didn't want to turn on the first time I
    > tried. I
    > soon discovered that by unplugging the USB cable that went to
    > the
    > front of my case from the secondary connector on the MB fixed
    > the
    > problem.

    just got one of those myself now won’t power up.... bad board?? :x

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Motherboard-ftopict47826.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=295996
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > Well i recently bought a motherboard from Tigerdirect.com. Its
    > Chaintech CT-7NJL6, but i am having a few problems with it.
    > When i hook
    > it up it doesn't want to seem to run. I went over the
    > connectors and
    > everything is hooked up properly, but still nothing. I have a
    > Antec 350
    > watt power supply that i just bought but it doesn't seem to
    > work with
    > it. So i tried a 300 and it blew it up (the power supply) so i
    > dropped
    > back to a generic 250 Watt and still it doesn't work. I have
    > noticed
    > that sometimes if u hold up on the 20 pin connector that the
    > fans will
    > start running wit the 250W but nothing wit the 350W. What
    > could be the
    > problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks
    > for your
    > time.

    Hi,

    I have a similar kind of problem. What I have found out is that it is
    the heatsink and the fan. If you not have enought pressure and proper
    alignment with the notched up side of the CPU socket, it would not
    fireup. It would seem as if the MB is dead. Try this. Place the
    fan/heatsink on the CPU and apply some pressure(in some cases more
    than just some pressure) with your fingers on to the fan/heatsink
    corners. It should start up.

    I have tried the same on mine, whenever I get the right combination of
    pressure, it fires up and runs. You reduce the pressure and it kills
    everything.

    Parm

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Motherboard-ftopict47826.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=296333
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > Well i recently bought a motherboard from Tigerdirect.com. Its
    > Chaintech CT-7NJL6, but i am having a few problems with it.
    > When i hook
    > it up it doesn't want to seem to run. I went over the
    > connectors and
    > everything is hooked up properly, but still nothing. I have a
    > Antec 350
    > watt power supply that i just bought but it doesn't seem to
    > work with
    > it. So i tried a 300 and it blew it up (the power supply) so i
    > dropped
    > back to a generic 250 Watt and still it doesn't work. I have
    > noticed
    > that sometimes if u hold up on the 20 pin connector that the
    > fans will
    > start running wit the 250W but nothing wit the 350W. What
    > could be the
    > problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks
    > for your
    > time.

    It is the fan and the heat sink. I had the same problem. I just bought
    a heavier fan and heat sink (copper heatsink) applied some thermal
    compound and guess what, it is all working fine.

    For the Socket A you have to have this kind of fan and heatsink, I
    have tried three other heatsink/fan combos but none of them worked.
    The only other problem that I had was that for my Duron processor the
    default CPU frequency did not work. I had to change it to 100 MHz.

    Parm

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Motherboard-ftopict47826.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=297563
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "parm" wrote:
    >It is the fan and the heat sink. I had the same problem. I just
    bought
    >a heavier fan and heat sink (copper heatsink) applied some thermal
    >compound and guess what, it is all working fine.
    >
    >For the Socket A you have to have this kind of fan and heatsink, I
    >have tried three other heatsink/fan combos but none of them worked.
    >The only other problem that I had was that for my Duron processor the
    >default CPU frequency did not work. I had to change it to 100 MHz.
    >
    >Parm

    If you where answering my question. HIGHLY unlikely that the heatsink
    is the problem, that doesn’t explain the PC working PERFECTLY with an
    old 300W psu. BTW the mobo has a retail 1800+ with AMD heatsink and
    plenty of paste!

    Thanks for the reply
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Hi, we purchased the barebone kit from TigerDirect that came with the
    CT-7NJL6 motherboard. We purchased the Maxtor hard drive to go along
    as well as a cd burner. Everything is working well, sort of, and
    then my husband installs Guild Wars and it automatically just
    restarts itself for no reason. We had a little trouble getting
    Windows installed in the beginning because the memory needed to be in
    the second slot instead of the first one. Once we got that figured
    out then we were able to get windows installed. When rebooting the
    machine will often lose the hard drive and only see the CD and if you
    reboot a couple of times then it will see it again .. very odd. I
    haven't seen this before. But, we are up and running except for when
    we try to go to Guild Wars and it restarts. COuld there be a short in
    the board some place?

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Renee
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "pearmanr" wrote:
    >Hi, we purchased the barebone kit from TigerDirect that came with the
    >CT-7NJL6 motherboard. ...
    >we try to go to Guild Wars and it restarts. COuld there be a short in
    >the board some place?
    >
    >Thanks in advance for your help.
    >Renee

    I would try changing the HD IDE cable, make sure you have a ATA133
    rated cable for the harddrive. are the HD and CD rom on the same
    IDE???

    I usually install the HD on IDE0 with a ATA133 cable and the CDrom on
    IDE1 with a regular ATA66 cable.

    BTW my system has been running great with the old power supply.
    received all the rebates except for the chainteck $30 and $10 it’s
    been exactly 2 months. but they won’t take inquires until Oct. 1st.

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Motherboard-ftopict47826.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=311601
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "pearmanr" wrote:
    >Hi, we purchased the barebone kit from TigerDirect that came with the
    >CT-7NJL6 motherboard. We purchased the Maxtor hard drive to go along
    >as well as a cd burner. Everything is working well, sort of, and
    >then my husband installs Guild Wars and it automatically just
    >restarts itself for no reason. ...
    >
    >Thanks in advance for your help.
    >Renee

    About the Guild Wars, It sounds like a driver not being compatible.
    maybe video driver, check guild wars fo updates or your hardware
    manufactures for the latest drivers.

    good luck!

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Motherboard-ftopict47826.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=311602
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Hi there,

    I had exactly the same problem. I purchased "Chaintech 7NJL6 Socket A
    Barebone Kit / AMD Athlon XP 3000+ / 512MB PC3200 / Ultra Cooling Fan
    / Ultra UV Mid-Tower Case / X-Connect 500 Watt PS" - giving this is my
    first experience for a barebone kit, it came with almost 0
    instructions except the manual for the pwer supply and motherboard.
    I put it all together - and nothing happened. It seemed to me the
    power supply was faulty so I sent it back. Got a new one, connected
    it - same issue. Then I found this message board about the missing
    CPU fan - it was not part of the barebone kit. I ordered the "Speeze
    Socket A/370 CPU Ultra Quiet Blue LED Fan", mounted it on the CPU -
    and everything worked.
    Instead of the CPU fan there was a case fan - 80 mm whereas the
    opening at the back of the case is 120mm.
    So no recommendation for the novice user to order from TigerDirect, no
    help from there... it was cheap, will have to see for the rebates, but
    a lot more trouble I asked for.

    Thanks for this forum and all your messages !
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Congrats - the only way to learn building a PC is going
    through it.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

    "spahlke" <stephan_pahlke@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I had exactly the same problem. I purchased "Chaintech 7NJL6 Socket A
    > Barebone Kit / AMD Athlon XP 3000+ / 512MB PC3200 / Ultra Cooling Fan
    > / Ultra UV Mid-Tower Case / X-Connect 500 Watt PS" - giving this is my
    > first experience for a barebone kit, it came with almost 0
    > instructions except the manual for the pwer supply and motherboard.
    > I put it all together - and nothing happened. It seemed to me the
    > power supply was faulty so I sent it back. Got a new one, connected
    > it - same issue. Then I found this message board about the missing
    > CPU fan - it was not part of the barebone kit. I ordered the "Speeze
    > Socket A/370 CPU Ultra Quiet Blue LED Fan", mounted it on the CPU -
    > and everything worked.
    > Instead of the CPU fan there was a case fan - 80 mm whereas the
    > opening at the back of the case is 120mm.
    > So no recommendation for the novice user to order from TigerDirect, no
    > help from there... it was cheap, will have to see for the rebates, but
    > a lot more trouble I asked for.
    >
    > Thanks for this forum and all your messages !

Chaintech Power Supplies Motherboards