Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi!

I recently bought a laptop and have an irritating problem
with it. The DVD drive will read a disc that is in the
drive during startup, but if I replace the original disc
with another, it doesn't refresh...eg: I have Quake3 in
the drive after a reboot. I can install and read Quake3
just fine. If I replace Quake3 with, say, Age of Kings
and go to My Computer, the drive icon shows Q3 as being
present. If I double click the drive, it says the
directory structure is corrupt. Now, I reboot and
everything is as it should be. It reads Age of Kings,
until I try to replace it with another disc, that is.
Manually refreshing (with F5 or the long way around
through the view menu) doesn't work, either.

I can live with this...barely. Currently, to install a
program that spans multiple discs, I have to copy each
disk to the hard drive and install it from there. It's a
miserable, time-consuming process.

The weird thing is, is I can go to the drive property
sheet and click "enable digital cd audio" (thereby
enabling OR disabling...doesn't matter) it will refresh
like normal and all will be right with the world...until I
swap discs...then I have to go click that box again, or
reboot my computer.

I did Google search after Google search, and found that
there are many others with my problem, however, there was
a maddening lack of good answers to this problem.

It sounds to me as if the CD Drive is being cached and this cache is
not being flushed when the disk is removed.
There used to be a way in win98/ME to disable the CD Drive cache but I
just had a quick look and can't find it in XP. Perhaps someone else
here knows.

"Chris" <yorrick5@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I recently bought a laptop and have an irritating problem
> with it. The DVD drive will read a disc that is in the
> drive during startup, but if I replace the original disc
> with another, it doesn't refresh...eg: I have Quake3 in
> the drive after a reboot. I can install and read Quake3
> just fine. If I replace Quake3 with, say, Age of Kings
> and go to My Computer, the drive icon shows Q3 as being
> present. If I double click the drive, it says the
> directory structure is corrupt. Now, I reboot and
> everything is as it should be. It reads Age of Kings,
> until I try to replace it with another disc, that is.
> Manually refreshing (with F5 or the long way around
> through the view menu) doesn't work, either.
>
> I can live with this...barely. Currently, to install a
> program that spans multiple discs, I have to copy each
> disk to the hard drive and install it from there. It's a
> miserable, time-consuming process.
>
> The weird thing is, is I can go to the drive property
> sheet and click "enable digital cd audio" (thereby
> enabling OR disabling...doesn't matter) it will refresh
> like normal and all will be right with the world...until I
> swap discs...then I have to go click that box again, or
> reboot my computer.
>
> I did Google search after Google search, and found that
> there are many others with my problem, however, there was
> a maddening lack of good answers to this problem.

Thanks. Sounds logical and gives me a good place to start
looking.