Hi All,

I have just built my dad a pc with a Asrock k7s41gx mother board which has
onboard vga (SIS 741).
I have installed service packs 1 & 2, tried just about all monitor types I
can find and the latest display drivers.
Can anyone tell me why I cant get a resolution greater than XGA (1024x768)
without the OS using Virtual desktop?

The screen is a 17" iiyama which used to run quite happily at 1280x1024 and
at a push 1600x1200 although things were a bit on the small side.

Any help much appreciated.

Paul

Do you have a monitor.inf file for the monitor(s) you have
tried, does the monitor show as "default" or by name?
Did you install the motherboard drivers that came with the
mobo?

Have you tried the "show all modes" option in display
properties/settings/advanced (or whatever) to over-ride the
default protection?

Legal warning to CMA, If you blow your monitor I am not
responsible, use at your own risk.

Does your Dad have great eyesight? Most older folks have
trouble with small letters and such.

"Paul Turner" <pturner@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
| Hi All,
|
| I have just built my dad a pc with a Asrock k7s41gx mother
board which has
| onboard vga (SIS 741).
| I have installed service packs 1 & 2, tried just about all
monitor types I
| can find and the latest display drivers.
| Can anyone tell me why I cant get a resolution greater
than XGA (1024x768)
| without the OS using Virtual desktop?
|
| The screen is a 17" iiyama which used to run quite happily
at 1280x1024 and
| at a push 1600x1200 although things were a bit on the
small side.

| Any help much appreciated.
|

| Paul

Hi,

The monitor displayed is the exact model I have (iiyama vision master pro
400)

The little check box which allows me to display all modes is greyed out
along with all the writing.

any ideas?

> Do you have a monitor.inf file for the monitor(s) you have
> tried, does the monitor show as "default" or by name?
> Did you install the motherboard drivers that came with the
> mobo?
>
> Have you tried the "show all modes" option in display
> properties/settings/advanced (or whatever) to over-ride the
> default protection?
>
> Legal warning to CMA, If you blow your monitor I am not
> responsible, use at your own risk.
>
> Does your Dad have great eyesight? Most older folks have
> trouble with small letters and such.

> "Paul Turner" <pturner@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> | Hi All,
> |
> | I have just built my dad a pc with a Asrock k7s41gx mother
> board which has
> | onboard vga (SIS 741).
> | I have installed service packs 1 & 2, tried just about all
> monitor types I
> | can find and the latest display drivers.
> | Can anyone tell me why I cant get a resolution greater
> than XGA (1024x768)
> | without the OS using Virtual desktop?
> |
> | The screen is a 17" iiyama which used to run quite happily
> at 1280x1024 and
> | at a push 1600x1200 although things were a bit on the
> small side.
> |
> | Any help much appreciated.
> |

> | Paul

It seems that they want only the options that you have
displayed. You might try some older drivers that don't lock
you out. They may have had problems with burnt out monitors
and to avoid warranty problems/cost lock the system.

| Hi,
|

| The monitor displayed is the exact model I have (iiyama
vision master pro
| 400)
|
| The little check box which allows me to display all modes
is greyed out
| along with all the writing.
|
| any ideas?

in message
| > Do you have a monitor.inf file for the monitor(s) you
have
| > tried, does the monitor show as "default" or by name?
| > Did you install the motherboard drivers that came with
the
| > mobo?
| >
| > Have you tried the "show all modes" option in display
| > properties/settings/advanced (or whatever) to over-ride
the
| > default protection?
| >
| > Legal warning to CMA, If you blow your monitor I am not
| > responsible, use at your own risk.
| >
| > Does your Dad have great eyesight? Most older folks
have
| > trouble with small letters and such.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Paul Turner" <pturner@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
| > | Hi All,
| > |
| > | I have just built my dad a pc with a Asrock k7s41gx
mother
| > board which has
| > | onboard vga (SIS 741).
| > | I have installed service packs 1 & 2, tried just about
all
| > monitor types I
| > | can find and the latest display drivers.
| > | Can anyone tell me why I cant get a resolution greater
| > than XGA (1024x768)
| > | without the OS using Virtual desktop?
| > |
| > | The screen is a 17" iiyama which used to run quite
happily
| > at 1280x1024 and
| > | at a push 1600x1200 although things were a bit on the
| > small side.
| > |
| > | Any help much appreciated.
| > |
| > |
| > | Paul
| > |
| > |

"Paul Turner" <pturner@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> The monitor displayed is the exact model I have (iiyama vision master pro
> 400)
>
> The little check box which allows me to display all modes is greyed out
> along with all the writing.
>
> any ideas?

Right click on the desktop and select properties. Go to Settings then click
on Advanced. Under there click on Monitor and you will see a tick box that
says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" and a warning next to it
as to what could happen.

Remove the tick and click OK then you will be able to change to other
resolutions if there are more there as you have indicated.

This DOES mean that if you choose one of them and all you get is a blank
screen, you are going to have to boot into safe mode and change it back
again, though.

The other option is to install it as a Plug and Play Monitor. This is
what I have done with my Dell monitor as the highest refresh rate does
not show with the monitor's drivers, but IS supported.

----
Nathan McNulty