External USB2.0 DVD-RW does not recognize any disk (USB1.1..

September 25, 2004 11:12:06 AM

Hi,

I have an external DVD-RW drive (bought the drive and the case
separately).
When I connected the drive to USB1.1 port, everything was fine.

Then I have bought a USB2.0 PCMCIA card and connected the DVD-RW to
the USB2.0
port. Windows now cannot *read* any disk I put in the drive (not to
mention burning anything). When I connect the drive back to the USB1.1
port, everything is fine with reading (but I can't burn, because it's
slow!).

I have read the posts about possible USB2.0 issues in WindowsXP, but
non seems to help. Another interesting point is that just before
Windows installed the USB2.0 drivers it was accessing the DVD-RW using
USB1.1 protocol, and for that 2 minutes I could read disks from that
drive.

Can anybody provide some good advice?

I have IBM Laptop R32 with WinXP SP2.

Genady
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 5:11:15 AM

XP has no issues with USB 2.0. It is more likely the fault of your
PCMCIA card. You may want to check for newer drivers for the card or
try installing it in the other slot (if you have two). My Dell Inspiron
7000 had a bad bottom slot, but the top one worked flawlessly. You may
have something similar :)

----
Nathan McNulty