Sidewinder precision 2 joystick drivers

I had 2 get my computer rebuilt and ive lost my Cd with
the drivers on. Any1 know where i can download them.
Cheers.
13 answers Last reply
More about sidewinder precision joystick drivers

    Hi,

    Goto the Game Controller Control Panel
    Then Add, Microsoft Sidewinder (auto-detect)...

    Please note that any Profiling software that came with the gameport hardware
    won't work as that was not designed for Windows XP (or 2000). There are
    currently no
    plans for updates.

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "Chris" <w3cvw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I had 2 get my computer rebuilt and ive lost my Cd with
    > the drivers on. Any1 know where i can download them.
    > Cheers.

    At the MS site. Do a search for hardware / Sidewinder. They have a whole
    area dedicated to these and you can download everything you need.

    "Chris" <w3cvw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I had 2 get my computer rebuilt and ive lost my Cd with
    > the drivers on. Any1 know where i can download them.
    > Cheers.

    Only drivers available there are for pre-XP machines.

    www.microsoft.com/hardware/

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Bob S. wrote:
    > At the MS site. Do a search for hardware / Sidewinder. They have a whole
    > area dedicated to these and you can download everything you need.
    >

    > "Chris" <w3cvw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I had 2 get my computer rebuilt and ive lost my Cd with
    >>the drivers on. Any1 know where i can download them.
    >>Cheers.

    You can go here to get a new disk.
    Hardware and Software replacement
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

    Joshua Smith
    DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    Microsoft
    -----

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

    "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Only drivers available there are for pre-XP machines.
    >
    > www.microsoft.com/hardware/
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Bob S. wrote:
    >> At the MS site. Do a search for hardware / Sidewinder. They have a whole
    >> area dedicated to these and you can download everything you need.
    >>

    >> "Chris" <w3cvw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I had 2 get my computer rebuilt and ive lost my Cd with
    >>>the drivers on. Any1 know where i can download them.
    >>>Cheers.

    I have a Precision 2 Joystick and left a message the other day about an
    exception error "while trying to run "Shell32.dll, Contol_RunDLLjoy.cpl."
    This occurs everytime I try to use the "record" tab on the control console to
    start a profile. Acccording to your post, since I am running XP
    Professional, the profiling software will not work because the software is
    not supported in XP Is that correct, and if so , does Microsoft make a new
    joystick that does support profiling in XP?

    Thanks in Advance,

    Bill

    "Gary Tsang" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Goto the Game Controller Control Panel
    > Then Add, Microsoft Sidewinder (auto-detect)...
    >
    > Please note that any Profiling software that came with the gameport hardware
    > won't work as that was not designed for Windows XP (or 2000). There are
    > currently no
    > plans for updates.
    >

    > --
    > Gary Tsang
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >
    > "Chris" <w3cvw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I had 2 get my computer rebuilt and ive lost my Cd with
    > > the drivers on. Any1 know where i can download them.
    > > Cheers.

    I have the exact issues as Bill on this thread. I load the Sidewinder 4.0
    software, manually load the Sidewinder Precision 2 drivers for the joystick,
    then restart the computer. The joystick comes up okay, I can even test and
    calibrate it, but when I try to use the record tab, I get the following
    error: RUNDLL: An exception occurred while trying to run "Shell32.dll,
    Control_Rundll joy.cpl" I have also loaded the native VIA USB 2.0 drivers,
    specifically the USB Enhanced Host Controller Driver only. I know it's
    definitely not a Windows XP SP2 compatibility issue because I loaded the
    sidewinder software on my other computer, a Intel 875P chipset-based Pentium
    4, and the program works perfectly. The computer with the issues is a VIA
    K8T800 Pro chipset for an AMD Athlon 64. Please help!

    "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:

    > You can go here to get a new disk.
    > Hardware and Software replacement
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246
    >
    > Joshua Smith
    > DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    > Microsoft
    > -----

    > "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > Only drivers available there are for pre-XP machines.
    > >
    > > www.microsoft.com/hardware/
    > >
    > > ----
    > > Nathan McNulty
    > >

    > > Bob S. wrote:
    > >> At the MS site. Do a search for hardware / Sidewinder. They have a whole
    > >> area dedicated to these and you can download everything you need.
    > >>

    > >> "Chris" <w3cvw@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    I have the same problem since upgrading to AMD64 3200+ but using NVidia
    nForce3 Ultra chipset. I didn't have the problem with my old AMD XP1700
    using VIA KT266 chipset. I also have a Sidewinder Dual Strike which
    basically uses the same profiling software, however the record tab
    mostly works but will fail to the same error message in about 1 of 5
    attempts. The FF2 fails every time. I have installed the original
    joy.cpl file from XP install CD but still get the same error. I suspect
    it is a timing issue. The FF2 joystick works fine in Flight Sim 2004
    which is what I mostly use it for. I see from another post that you can
    still set up new profiles in XP "safe mode" although I havent tried it
    yet.

    Alphonso wrote:
    > I have the same problem since upgrading to AMD64 3200+ but using
    NVidia
    > nForce3 Ultra chipset. I didn't have the problem with my old AMD
    XP1700
    > using VIA KT266 chipset. I also have a Sidewinder Dual Strike which
    > basically uses the same profiling software, however the record tab
    > mostly works but will fail to the same error message in about 1 of 5
    > attempts. The FF2 fails every time. I have installed the original
    > joy.cpl file from XP install CD but still get the same error. I
    suspect
    > it is a timing issue. The FF2 joystick works fine in Flight Sim 2004
    > which is what I mostly use it for. I see from another post that you
    can
    > still set up new profiles in XP "safe mode" although I havent tried
    it
    > yet.

    Some more.

    I think the problem is caused by the new "enhanced virus protection"
    (EVP) built into the AMD64 CPU which is activated by WinXP SP2. Intel
    CPU's don't have this feature yet. The feature is preventing the
    profiling software from running a DLL as an application. Going back to
    SP1 is probably not an option and Microsoft no longer support the
    Sidewinder software. Anybody know how to switch EVP on or off ?

    Fixed it

    Log in as administrator. Go to Control Panel/System. Select tab
    "advanced/performance/settings". Select Date Execution Prevention tab.
    Select turn on DEP for all programs. Check "Run a DLL as an App".

    Time will tell if this setting will cause other problems for other
    apps. Will let you know if it does.

    Alphonso,

    Thanks for the responses. I was thinking no one was using Sidewinder
    joysticks anymore. Hey, where do I find the "Run a DLL as an App" selection
    under the DEP tab. The only option I have is to Add an executable under
    system32. Thanks!

    Ed

    "Alphonso" wrote:

    > Fixed it
    >
    > Log in as administrator. Go to Control Panel/System. Select tab
    > "advanced/performance/settings". Select Date Execution Prevention tab.
    > Select turn on DEP for all programs. Check "Run a DLL as an App".
    >
    > Time will tell if this setting will cause other problems for other
    > apps. Will let you know if it does.

    Alphonso,

    Disregard last.. I found if I selected Rundll under Add, it worked. Thanks
    for all your help!

    Ed

    "Alphonso" wrote:

    > Fixed it
    >
    > Log in as administrator. Go to Control Panel/System. Select tab
    > "advanced/performance/settings". Select Date Execution Prevention tab.
    > Select turn on DEP for all programs. Check "Run a DLL as an App".
    >
    > Time will tell if this setting will cause other problems for other
    > apps. Will let you know if it does.

    Hi Guys/Gals,

    Have been watching yr posts with intrest as I too have
    a Sidewinder precision pro 2 that since I've upgraded my PC works but
    not properly. I cannot calibrate it as anything I try it just makes no
    difference. So I'll be happy flying along in BF1942 Desert Combat in an
    F16 or something, in for a bombing run tip the nose down a little and
    whoop! In an instant 45 degrees at 300mph straight into the desert!
    I thought the joystick was u/s so tried the obvious and swopped it with
    my friend who tried it on his PC..FINE !?
    I've search everywhere (as you have probably) to sort this and reading
    yr posts I thought you may have cracked it but tried all your ideas to
    no avail.
    Where we go from here, I have no idea, (seems Microsoft aren't bothered
    by it) but I will keep you posted if I have any luck.
    Cheers,
    Stanc.

    --
    stanc
    stanc's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=7184

    I,m using sidewinder 3dpro and it's there but it doesn't work,the the
    gamenum.sys resoures are grayed out so I can't change the irq, that
    file is corupt.Is there a work around?
    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:33:02 -0800, "edfred68"
    <edfred68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have the exact issues as Bill on this thread. I load the Sidewinder 4.0
    >software, manually load the Sidewinder Precision 2 drivers for the joystick,
    >then restart the computer. The joystick comes up okay, I can even test and
    >calibrate it, but when I try to use the record tab, I get the following
    >error: RUNDLL: An exception occurred while trying to run "Shell32.dll,
    >Control_Rundll joy.cpl" I have also loaded the native VIA USB 2.0 drivers,
    >specifically the USB Enhanced Host Controller Driver only. I know it's
    >definitely not a Windows XP SP2 compatibility issue because I loaded the
    >sidewinder software on my other computer, a Intel 875P chipset-based Pentium
    >4, and the program works perfectly. The computer with the issues is a VIA
    >K8T800 Pro chipset for an AMD Athlon 64. Please help!
    >
    >"Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> You can go here to get a new disk.
    >> Hardware and Software replacement
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246
    >>
    >> Joshua Smith
    >> DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    >> Microsoft
    >> -----
    >>
    >> Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    >>
    >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    >>

    >> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> > Only drivers available there are for pre-XP machines.
    >> >
    >> > www.microsoft.com/hardware/
    >> >
    >> > ----
    >> > Nathan McNulty

Hardware Drivers Joystick Microsoft Windows XP