Audio Jack Location Dell Desktop Dimension 8100

I'm looking for the audio jack or I guess it would be line out on a Dell
Dimension 8100 to listen to music with head phones. It's not on the front
of the tower as in later versions. Does anyone know where it would be
located? It's hard to get to the back and I don't see it on diagrams from
the Dell site.

Tia,

Chad Harris
4 answers Last reply
More about audio jack location dell desktop dimension 8100

    Chad Harris wrote:
    > I'm looking for the audio jack or I guess it would be line out on a
    > Dell Dimension 8100 to listen to music with head phones. It's not on
    > the front of the tower as in later versions. Does anyone know where
    > it would be located? It's hard to get to the back and I don't see it
    > on diagrams from the Dell site.

    It's the light green port in the back (8mm).

    Same place you would plug in your speakers. Good speakers now come with
    headphone jacks in tem because they know it is difficult (usually) to get to
    the back of ones PC. If you do not have this option, you will be getting to
    the back of your PC somehow.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Shenan--

    Thanks much for the speedy reply. One question (which I wouldn't be asking
    if a book case weren't in the way of me getting comfortably to the back): I
    have my Altec Lansings plugged into the tower--*so this port is next to/and
    in addition to them I suppose with room to keep the speakers plugged in and
    then plug the headphones in?

    Would there be anything on the speaker sub woofer at all?

    This does have to connect to the sound card somehow doesn't it, so anything
    on newer speakers would find ways to do that wouldn't the?

    Unfortunately they are 3 years old and didn't have a jack on them. I
    understand the newer dimensions and other OEM PC's have a port on the front
    as well.

    Thanks for answering such a basic question.

    Chad
    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
    Chad Harris wrote:
    > I'm looking for the audio jack or I guess it would be line out on a
    > Dell Dimension 8100 to listen to music with head phones. It's not on
    > the front of the tower as in later versions. Does anyone know where
    > it would be located? It's hard to get to the back and I don't see it
    > on diagrams from the Dell site.

    It's the light green port in the back (8mm).

    Same place you would plug in your speakers. Good speakers now come with
    headphone jacks in tem because they know it is difficult (usually) to get to
    the back of ones PC. If you do not have this option, you will be getting to
    the back of your PC somehow.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Answers inline.

    Chad Harris wrote:
    > Shenan--
    >
    > Thanks much for the speedy reply. One question (which I wouldn't be
    > asking if a book case weren't in the way of me getting comfortably to
    > the back): I have my Altec Lansings plugged into the tower--*so this
    > port is next to/and in addition to them I suppose with room to keep
    > the speakers plugged in and then plug the headphones in?

    No - same port. They do not - in the case of Dell's built in sound -
    provide an additional "headphone" port.

    > Would there be anything on the speaker sub woofer at all?

    If your speakers do not have an obvious headphone port on them (on the
    smaller satellite speakers), then there will be nothing else.

    > This does have to connect to the sound card somehow doesn't it, so
    > anything on newer speakers would find ways to do that wouldn't the?

    Yes - they connect just as they always have. They get sound from the single
    sound output port, then when you plug in headphones, the speaker output is
    muted (in most) and the sound is redirected from the speakers to the
    headphone jack in the speakers.

    > Unfortunately they are 3 years old and didn't have a jack on them. I
    > understand the newer dimensions and other OEM PC's have a port on the
    > front as well.

    This is correct for most newer computers - for reasons you have now
    discovered. An alternative for you would be to purchase a simple splitter
    or 8mm extension cable from some place like Wal~Mart or Radio Shack and plug
    it in instead of your speakers (into the back of the computer that is) so
    that you could easily reach this port in the future.

    > Thanks for answering such a basic question.

    No problem - hope it helps!

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Chad

    Instead of asking the world to lead you blind: use your eyes and brain.

    You are in the best position to 'see' if there is a socket or other
    connector into which these devices can be connected.

    To confirm what you see, open up the user manuals and if you don't have them
    get online and download them: check what the manufacturer has built into the
    sound card, system case, speaker units and recommends for connection with
    other items sucha s sub woofer.

    God helps those who help themselves.

    "Chad Harris" wrote:

    > Shenan--
    >
    > Thanks much for the speedy reply. One question (which I wouldn't be asking
    > if a book case weren't in the way of me getting comfortably to the back): I
    > have my Altec Lansings plugged into the tower--*so this port is next to/and
    > in addition to them I suppose with room to keep the speakers plugged in and
    > then plug the headphones in?
    >
    > Would there be anything on the speaker sub woofer at all?
    >
    > This does have to connect to the sound card somehow doesn't it, so anything
    > on newer speakers would find ways to do that wouldn't the?
    >
    > Unfortunately they are 3 years old and didn't have a jack on them. I
    > understand the newer dimensions and other OEM PC's have a port on the front
    > as well.
    >
    > Thanks for answering such a basic question.
    >
    > Chad
    > "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
    > Chad Harris wrote:
    > > I'm looking for the audio jack or I guess it would be line out on a
    > > Dell Dimension 8100 to listen to music with head phones. It's not on
    > > the front of the tower as in later versions. Does anyone know where
    > > it would be located? It's hard to get to the back and I don't see it
    > > on diagrams from the Dell site.
    >
    > It's the light green port in the back (8mm).
    >
    > Same place you would plug in your speakers. Good speakers now come with
    > headphone jacks in tem because they know it is difficult (usually) to get to
    > the back of ones PC. If you do not have this option, you will be getting to
    > the back of your PC somehow.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

Audio Dell Dimension Windows XP