Wireless Network Fiasco

Wexman

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2003
Major problem. I have had the two top networking guys in my school come over to help me and both have left stumped. I have called both Netgear and Linksys....one said it was the card's fault the other just hung up after they couldnt figure out what was wrong. I bought a Netgear Wireless Router MR814. The thing is compatable with all network cards....SO....I hook it up to my first computer, by cat5, and the thing works fine. Then i hook up my other computer, running 2K, with a Linksys Wireless Card...the WMP11. All is well. I turn it on. The signal is near full. The strenght is full. The router recognizes the pc...the name comes up in the Attached Devices section of the settings. On the wiress pc, teh SSID is correct, the IP address is what it should be...etc....ALL IS HOW IT SHOULD BE....BUT

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT

IT DOESNT WORK....
The 2k PC (the wireless one) shows up in the wired pC's workgroup. It can be pinged...eventhough it times out a lot....NET SEND WORKS FROM THE WIRED TO THE WIRELESS....but the 2k cannot get on the web, connect to my pc, or even show that it is on the network. This is insane. EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK. It is not signal strenght or quality because i have the pc right next to the router....Everything is a go.....its detected by the wired and the router....the Wireless can randomly ping websites such as google and yahoo...showing their IP address on the screen. the program ethereal...which is on my wired pc....shows packets of information coming from the wireless PC....YET IT DOES NOT WORK....please....does anyone know anything that can help me finally fix this???? It is insane that it should not work. PLease....it has caused me to lose much sleep this week....and last week...i want this to end and for it to work....

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
what is the actual problem? you say it can't get on the web, then you say you're pinging google. If you type www.google.com in a browser, what is the error?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Wexman

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2003
it times out...it randomly pings google from the CMD prompt...and other times it times out....other than that i can do nothing

Wexman

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2003
everything is as it should be....all things are set...i have set up a wireless network before and everything is as it should be yet NOTHING WORKS...please help

Go to network properties. TCP/IP settings for your network card and set its default gateway to the lan address of the wireless router.(192.168.???.???) Also set the DNS numbers for your ISP in this section also.These are provided by your ISP.
And last but not least . Run the internet Connection Wizard and tell it to connect using a lan connection.

I aint signing nothing!!!

sbolinger2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Try hooking up your 'first' computer to the wireless, putting the wmp11 in it, and put the NIC and cat5 in the win2k machine. At least that way you will know if it is hardware or not, if it doesn't work. If it does work, the problem is with the win2k machine and the wmp11 or the mr814.

:tongue: <font color=blue>My job is to polish</font color=blue> <font color=green>turds</font color=green><font color=blue>, I</font color=blue> <font color=red>love</font color=red> <font color=blue>my job.</font color=blue>

Wexman

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2003
Alright i am going to try both of those...my theory is that the card is busted. Linksys couldnt figure out what the problem was (stupid tech support)...but they did say that they would issue me an RMA because of my "unusual circumstances"....but i will try and swapping the cards....teh entering of teh router ip and such didnt work...it just kept timing out..