Wireless constantly dropping connection

I just recently set up a wireless home network using a Linksys WRT54GS
Router, a WPC54GS card in my laptop and WMP54GS card in my desktop PC.
The laptop works perfectly without any problems. I set up my desktop with
the same settings and it keeps dropping te connection. The signal strength is
just a little less on the desktop but is still showing 91%. I have to always
click on the wireless "repair" in order to connect to the internet again. I
have tried switching to different channels without any help. Does anyone know
of a program that I can use that would run in the background, that checks the
internet connection and reconnects when it is lost? Or is there a way of
getting this resolved so that it stays connected. Thank you!
8 answers Last reply
More about wireless constantly dropping connection

    This might sound strange, but...

    Check what you've got located around your desktop. I read about a case in a
    trade magazine where someone was having the exact problem you're discussing.
    The signal strength read high, changing channels didn't work, and the laptop
    was running fine. As it turned out, the CD's that were stacked near the
    desktop in a holder were causing a signal bounce-back to the desktop
    antenna. The "reflected" TX signal from the desktop were effectively
    masking the signal from the router.

    I would try relocating the router and clearing away anything from the
    desktop to see if you can locate the problem.

    "ironmak" <ironmak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just recently set up a wireless home network using a Linksys WRT54GS
    > Router, a WPC54GS card in my laptop and WMP54GS card in my desktop PC.
    > The laptop works perfectly without any problems. I set up my desktop with
    > the same settings and it keeps dropping te connection. The signal strength
    > is
    > just a little less on the desktop but is still showing 91%. I have to
    > always
    > click on the wireless "repair" in order to connect to the internet again.
    > have tried switching to different channels without any help. Does anyone
    > know
    > of a program that I can use that would run in the background, that checks
    > the
    > internet connection and reconnects when it is lost? Or is there a way of
    > getting this resolved so that it stays connected. Thank you!

    i think it could be interference, microwave oven, dect phone, other
    networks?
    try changing your channel

    mike

    "ironmak" <ironmak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I just recently set up a wireless home network using a Linksys WRT54GS
    > Router, a WPC54GS card in my laptop and WMP54GS card in my desktop PC.
    > The laptop works perfectly without any problems. I set up my desktop with
    > the same settings and it keeps dropping te connection. The signal strength
    is
    > just a little less on the desktop but is still showing 91%. I have to
    always
    > click on the wireless "repair" in order to connect to the internet again.
    > have tried switching to different channels without any help. Does anyone
    know
    > of a program that I can use that would run in the background, that checks
    the
    > internet connection and reconnects when it is lost? Or is there a way of
    > getting this resolved so that it stays connected. Thank you!

    Thank you for your reply! I was thinking the same thing. I have changed the
    channels many times without any success. I have all the latest drivers and
    software updates. It is just weird that my laptop works fine and it is only
    about 20 feet away.

    "mikeFNB" wrote:

    > i think it could be interference, microwave oven, dect phone, other
    > networks?
    > try changing your channel
    >
    > mike
    >
    > "ironmak" <ironmak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I just recently set up a wireless home network using a Linksys WRT54GS
    > > Router, a WPC54GS card in my laptop and WMP54GS card in my desktop PC.
    > > The laptop works perfectly without any problems. I set up my desktop with
    > > the same settings and it keeps dropping te connection. The signal strength
    > is
    > > just a little less on the desktop but is still showing 91%. I have to
    > always
    > > click on the wireless "repair" in order to connect to the internet again.
    > > have tried switching to different channels without any help. Does anyone
    > know
    > > of a program that I can use that would run in the background, that checks
    > the
    > > internet connection and reconnects when it is lost? Or is there a way of
    > > getting this resolved so that it stays connected. Thank you!

    I am having the same problems. I called for Tech support from Linksys. They
    told me it is caused by Windows XP service pack 2 and I should solve the
    problem through Microsoft. I have the same home networking equipment. THis
    problem started when I downloaded service pack. I am having a hard time
    getting anyone to respond.

    "ironmak" wrote:

    > I just recently set up a wireless home network using a Linksys WRT54GS
    > Router, a WPC54GS card in my laptop and WMP54GS card in my desktop PC.
    > The laptop works perfectly without any problems. I set up my desktop with
    > the same settings and it keeps dropping te connection. The signal strength is
    > just a little less on the desktop but is still showing 91%. I have to always
    > click on the wireless "repair" in order to connect to the internet again. I
    > have tried switching to different channels without any help. Does anyone know
    > of a program that I can use that would run in the background, that checks the
    > internet connection and reconnects when it is lost? Or is there a way of
    > getting this resolved so that it stays connected. Thank you!

    Caveat - This is a "Black Magic" answer: I can tell you What I do but NOT
    for sure Why or What it Does.

    I have had this problem, and I have seen it at a number of wireless
    installations, where the wireless drops the connection and does not
    automatically re-acquire it while other systems in the immediate area do not
    have signal problems. Sometimes "Repairing" the connection will re-establish
    a connection, sometime "Disabling" and waiting for a minute, then "Enabling"
    the connection and waiting a few minutes will fix it (which is essentially
    what Repair does), and sometimes it requires a system reboot to get it back
    working.

    On my personal system I changed to a different Wireless NIC manufacturer and
    even moved the computer to another place right beside the access point with
    no success.

    This is what I have done that seems to get rid of the problem permanently:

    First, go into Control Panel, Power Settings, and select the Power Schemes
    tab. Set the following settings to "Never":

    - Turn Off Monitor
    - Turn Off Hard Disks
    - System Standby
    - System Hibernates

    Next go to the Hibernate tab and clear the box labeled "Enable Hibernation".

    Apply the settings, then exit the Power Settings app. You may need to reboot
    the system but it should not be necessary.

    On all systems I have encountered that seem to lose their connections and
    not be able to re-establish on their own, the above seems to get rid of the
    problem. I think it has something to do with the Hibernate mode or that the
    O/S is Powering-Off or On something in a screwed-up order, but I do not know
    for sure. As I said above, this is a "Black Magic" fix.

    What I do on systems where I do no want to "Burn-In" the screen too much is
    to set the screen-saver to "Blank" which switches it to a black screen.

    Hope this helps,
    --
    William L. Whipple
    EZine.Com

    "ironmak" <ironmak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just recently set up a wireless home network using a Linksys WRT54GS
    > Router, a WPC54GS card in my laptop and WMP54GS card in my desktop PC.
    > The laptop works perfectly without any problems. I set up my desktop with
    > the same settings and it keeps dropping te connection. The signal strength
    > is
    > just a little less on the desktop but is still showing 91%. I have to
    > always
    > click on the wireless "repair" in order to connect to the internet again.
    > have tried switching to different channels without any help. Does anyone
    > know
    > of a program that I can use that would run in the background, that checks
    > the
    > internet connection and reconnects when it is lost? Or is there a way of
    > getting this resolved so that it stays connected. Thank you!

    I have the same problem with an Actiontec USB wifi since installing the
    Service pack 2. I have searched the net, and Microsoft for solution, but
    none found--still no cure. I can start & stop Wifi zero services and
    restart--sometimes this works, but most offten I have to reboot the computer.
    I have changed security settings "Wep" but nothing seems to work

    Other computers wired into the router have no connection problems...getting
    ready hard wire the upstairs system..wifi with SP2 is a pain. Google search
    for the dropping connection problem turned up many users with the same
    problem- Strange when connection is lost Status bar shows connection as
    "execellent"

    "Lawdo2" wrote:

    > I am having the same problems. I called for Tech support from Linksys. They
    > told me it is caused by Windows XP service pack 2 and I should solve the
    > problem through Microsoft. I have the same home networking equipment. THis
    > problem started when I downloaded service pack. I am having a hard time
    > getting anyone to respond.
    >
    > "ironmak" wrote:
    >
    > > I just recently set up a wireless home network using a Linksys WRT54GS
    > > Router, a WPC54GS card in my laptop and WMP54GS card in my desktop PC.
    > > The laptop works perfectly without any problems. I set up my desktop with
    > > the same settings and it keeps dropping te connection. The signal strength is
    > > just a little less on the desktop but is still showing 91%. I have to always
    > > click on the wireless "repair" in order to connect to the internet again. I
    > > have tried switching to different channels without any help. Does anyone know
    > > of a program that I can use that would run in the background, that checks the
    > > internet connection and reconnects when it is lost? Or is there a way of
    > > getting this resolved so that it stays connected. Thank you!
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    ironmak wrote:
    > I just recently set up a wireless home network using a Linksys WRT54GS
    > Router, a WPC54GS card in my laptop and WMP54GS card in my desktop PC.
    > The laptop works perfectly without any problems. I set up my desktop with
    > the same settings and it keeps dropping te connection. The signal strength is
    > just a little less on the desktop but is still showing 91%. I have to always
    > click on the wireless "repair" in order to connect to the internet again. I
    > have tried switching to different channels without any help. Does anyone know
    > of a program that I can use that would run in the background, that checks the
    > internet connection and reconnects when it is lost? Or is there a way of
    > getting this resolved so that it stays connected. Thank you!

    Symptom:

    Wireless connection periodically connects and disconnects at intervals
    of a few minutes.

    Cause:

    Newer 802.11g wireless network cards may have 802.1x authentication
    enabled by default. This may cause problems when trying to connect to
    wireless networks because they are not currently configured for this
    type of authentication. The wireless card will connect for a few minutes
    before it tries to authenticate. When it attempts to authenticate it
    will fail and disconnect. A few minutes later it will connect again
    without authenticating and the connection/disconnection cycle will continue.

    Resolution:

    Disable 802.1x authentication on the wireless card.

    In Windows XP:

    Go to Start>>Control Panel>>Network Connections
    Double Click Your Wireless Network Connection
    Click Properties
    Click Wireless Networks Tab
    Choose the SSID you are using in the Preferred Networks area
    Click Properties
    Click on the Authentication Tab
    Make sure that Enable 802.1x authentication for this network is NOT checked.
    Click OK
    Click OK
    Click Close

    --
    Danny Kile
    Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

    "Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
    you." Mary Bly
  8. :o THIS RESOLUTION FOR STOPPING THE WIRELESS CONNECTION FROM DISCONNECTING THEN CONNECTING AGAIN IS THE REAL ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEMS. I TRIED SO MANY OTHER GENIOUS IDEAS TO NO AVAIL. THIS IS SIMPLE, AND IT WORKS GREAT! NO MORE INTERMITTENT CONNECTIONS ON MY DESKTOP! THANKS DANNY! YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF! :pt1cable:

Wireless Connection Desktops Wireless Networking