2 XP Pro machines connected by modem

I want to have two XP pro workstations connected together via 56k modems.
The idea being to provide an alternate route in case the normal route
through our internet routers fails.

What is the easiest way to do this? It does not have to be automatic
failover. There is a small bit of traffic we need to maintain if the
internet route goes down.

I would appreciate any ideas or leads.
6 answers Last reply
More about machines connected modem

    You don't connect two computers together using 56K modems. You use a
    crossover cable connected to their respective NICs, or a Laplink cable
    between their serial or parallel ports.

    "Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> wrote in message
    >I want to have two XP pro workstations connected together via 56k modems.
    >The idea being to provide an alternate route in case the normal route
    >through our internet routers fails.
    >
    > What is the easiest way to do this? It does not have to be automatic
    > failover. There is a small bit of traffic we need to maintain if the
    > internet route goes down.
    >
    > I would appreciate any ideas or leads.

    Sorry I shoud have explained. The workstations are 40 miles apart.

    > You don't connect two computers together using 56K modems. You use a
    > crossover cable connected to their respective NICs, or a Laplink cable
    > between their serial or parallel ports.
    >
    > "Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> wrote in message
    >>I want to have two XP pro workstations connected together via 56k modems.
    >>The idea being to provide an alternate route in case the normal route
    >>through our internet routers fails.
    >>
    >> What is the easiest way to do this? It does not have to be automatic
    >> failover. There is a small bit of traffic we need to maintain if the
    >> internet route goes down.
    >>
    >> I would appreciate any ideas or leads.

    Create an incoming connection on one machine, and dial it from another
    (knowing it's phone number). Note that you won't get 56 k speed because
    the v.90 modem is asymmetric (56k only on downlink)

    --PA

    "Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> wrote in message news:hoh5d.103666$%S.72323@pd7tw2no...
    > I want to have two XP pro workstations connected together via 56k modems.
    > The idea being to provide an alternate route in case the normal route
    > through our internet routers fails.
    >
    > What is the easiest way to do this? It does not have to be automatic
    > failover. There is a small bit of traffic we need to maintain if the
    > internet route goes down.
    >
    > I would appreciate any ideas or leads.

    Sounds easy. I guess what is confusing to me is how do I create the dial-up
    routine and the answer routine? Maybe it is inherent and easy to do in XP.
    I'll see if I can figure it out.

    Thanks

    "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
    > Create an incoming connection on one machine, and dial it from another
    > (knowing it's phone number). Note that you won't get 56 k speed because
    > the v.90 modem is asymmetric (56k only on downlink)
    >
    > --PA
    >
    > "Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> wrote in message
    >> I want to have two XP pro workstations connected together via 56k modems.
    >> The idea being to provide an alternate route in case the normal route
    >> through our internet routers fails.
    >>
    >> What is the easiest way to do this? It does not have to be automatic
    >> failover. There is a small bit of traffic we need to maintain if the
    >> internet route goes down.
    >>
    >> I would appreciate any ideas or leads.

    Help and Support - search for "Remote Access Auto Connection"

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Sounds easy. I guess what is confusing to me is how do I create the
    dial-up
    > routine and the answer routine? Maybe it is inherent and easy to do in
    XP.
    > I'll see if I can figure it out.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
    > > Create an incoming connection on one machine, and dial it from another
    > > (knowing it's phone number). Note that you won't get 56 k speed because
    > > the v.90 modem is asymmetric (56k only on downlink)
    > >
    > > --PA
    > >
    > > "Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> wrote in message
    > >> I want to have two XP pro workstations connected together via 56k
    modems.
    > >> The idea being to provide an alternate route in case the normal route
    > >> through our internet routers fails.
    > >>
    > >> What is the easiest way to do this? It does not have to be automatic
    > >> failover. There is a small bit of traffic we need to maintain if the
    > >> internet route goes down.
    > >>
    > >> I would appreciate any ideas or leads.

    That will work. Thanks

    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Help and Support - search for "Remote Access Auto Connection"
    >
    > --
    > Tumppi
    > Reply to group
    > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >

    > "Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> kirjoitti viestissä
    >> Sounds easy. I guess what is confusing to me is how do I create the
    > dial-up
    >> routine and the answer routine? Maybe it is inherent and easy to do in
    > XP.
    >> I'll see if I can figure it out.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
    >> > Create an incoming connection on one machine, and dial it from another
    >> > (knowing it's phone number). Note that you won't get 56 k speed because
    >> > the v.90 modem is asymmetric (56k only on downlink)
    >> >
    >> > --PA
    >> >
    >> > "Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> wrote in message
    > modems.

Windows XP Internet