2 XP Pro machines connected by modem

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I want to have two XP pro workstations connected together via 56k modems.
The idea being to provide an alternate route in case the normal route
through our internet routers fails.

What is the easiest way to do this? It does not have to be automatic
failover. There is a small bit of traffic we need to maintain if the
internet route goes down.

I would appreciate any ideas or leads.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You don't connect two computers together using 56K modems. You use a
crossover cable connected to their respective NICs, or a Laplink cable
between their serial or parallel ports.

"Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> wrote in message
>I want to have two XP pro workstations connected together via 56k modems.
>The idea being to provide an alternate route in case the normal route
>through our internet routers fails.
>
> What is the easiest way to do this? It does not have to be automatic
> failover. There is a small bit of traffic we need to maintain if the
> internet route goes down.
>
> I would appreciate any ideas or leads.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Sorry I shoud have explained. The workstations are 40 miles apart.

> You don't connect two computers together using 56K modems. You use a
> crossover cable connected to their respective NICs, or a Laplink cable
> between their serial or parallel ports.
>
> "Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> wrote in message
>>I want to have two XP pro workstations connected together via 56k modems.
>>The idea being to provide an alternate route in case the normal route
>>through our internet routers fails.
>>
>> What is the easiest way to do this? It does not have to be automatic
>> failover. There is a small bit of traffic we need to maintain if the
>> internet route goes down.
>>
>> I would appreciate any ideas or leads.

Create an incoming connection on one machine, and dial it from another
(knowing it's phone number). Note that you won't get 56 k speed because
the v.90 modem is asymmetric (56k only on downlink)

--PA

"Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> wrote in message news:hoh5d.103666$%S.72323@pd7tw2no...
> I want to have two XP pro workstations connected together via 56k modems.
> The idea being to provide an alternate route in case the normal route
> through our internet routers fails.
>
> What is the easiest way to do this? It does not have to be automatic
> failover. There is a small bit of traffic we need to maintain if the
> internet route goes down.
>
> I would appreciate any ideas or leads.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Sounds easy. I guess what is confusing to me is how do I create the dial-up
routine and the answer routine? Maybe it is inherent and easy to do in XP.
I'll see if I can figure it out.

Thanks

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
> Create an incoming connection on one machine, and dial it from another
> (knowing it's phone number). Note that you won't get 56 k speed because
> the v.90 modem is asymmetric (56k only on downlink)
>
> --PA
>
> "Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> wrote in message
>> I want to have two XP pro workstations connected together via 56k modems.
>> The idea being to provide an alternate route in case the normal route
>> through our internet routers fails.
>>
>> What is the easiest way to do this? It does not have to be automatic
>> failover. There is a small bit of traffic we need to maintain if the
>> internet route goes down.
>>
>> I would appreciate any ideas or leads.

Help and Support - search for "Remote Access Auto Connection"

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> kirjoitti viestissä
> Sounds easy. I guess what is confusing to me is how do I create the
dial-up
> routine and the answer routine? Maybe it is inherent and easy to do in
XP.
> I'll see if I can figure it out.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
> > Create an incoming connection on one machine, and dial it from another
> > (knowing it's phone number). Note that you won't get 56 k speed because
> > the v.90 modem is asymmetric (56k only on downlink)
> >
> > --PA
> >
> > "Brian" <briano@ounsted.ca> wrote in message
> >> I want to have two XP pro workstations connected together via 56k
modems.
> >> The idea being to provide an alternate route in case the normal route
> >> through our internet routers fails.
> >>
> >> What is the easiest way to do this? It does not have to be automatic
> >> failover. There is a small bit of traffic we need to maintain if the
> >> internet route goes down.
> >>
> >> I would appreciate any ideas or leads.

Brian

Distinguished