drive letter swap

My dimension 4100 came with Windows ME installed. I
recently added a 120GB drive. I put jumpers on the new
drive and the old to "cable/select and put the new drive
in the Master position on the cable and the old drive in
the Slave position. I then put XP Home edition in cd
drive and started computer. Everything came out fine
except the old drive is still "C" and the new drive
is "E". The computer boots up XP. How do I change the
new drive to "C" and the old to "E".
7 answers Last reply
More about drive letter swap

    Reinstall again, but disable the old drive in the BIOS at least.

    If dissabling it in the BIOS doesn't work, then take it off the IDE ribbon
    completely. Then you can do a repair install and put it back when it's
    finished.

    "Jetro" wrote:

    > Reinstall again, but disable the old drive in the BIOS at least.

    I disconnected old drive and reinstalled and booted up
    again with the XP disk. The new drive still came out "F".

    Try this,
    Right click My COmputer, select Manage, on directory tree select Storage and
    Disk Management branch, right click on drive and select Change Drive Letter
    or Path.

    r.

    <blugrass@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > My dimension 4100 came with Windows ME installed. I
    > recently added a 120GB drive. I put jumpers on the new
    > drive and the old to "cable/select and put the new drive
    > in the Master position on the cable and the old drive in
    > the Slave position. I then put XP Home edition in cd
    > drive and started computer. Everything came out fine
    > except the old drive is still "C" and the new drive
    > is "E". The computer boots up XP. How do I change the
    > new drive to "C" and the old to "E".

    E: or F:? When you come to the point, delete all the partitions from the new
    drive, interrupt the setup (F3) and start over.

    You can change drive letters as you described. The only snag is that you
    CANNOT re-assign another letter to the drive that has got Windows XP
    installed on it while it is active. A sort of Catch 22 situation. But if you
    want to reformat your hard disk anyway read on...

    I had this problem and my solution was to
    1- physically disconnect the second hard disk and clear CMOS on the
    motherboard making sure the 2nd HD was still not SEEN to be there.
    2- format the hard disk that had Windows on it
    3- Reinstall Windows on the ONLY hard disk left connected
    4- After everything is done and the system is back up and running, reconnect
    the second hard disk which will now automatically be given the next unused
    letter -- in my case a G.
    5- Access the Console and re-assign letters to the various drives. Be smart
    here and think ! I had CDEF to contend with. You have to think ahead. I
    called my D a G which released the letter D which I could now use for my 2nd
    HD changing it from F to D. Get the idea?

    But having said all this, I know there IS an easier way to do this from the
    Console without having to reformat the HD and reinstall Windows. It is done
    by starting Windows FROM the CD and to do this you will have to enable CD
    start. F11 (?) as the computer starts. But you have to know what you are
    doing to use this method which is the easier neater solution to the problem.
    And you don't have to reformat the HD and reinstall Windows because when
    you enable CD start the HD is not active and its assigned letter can be
    changed. But you do have to know how to do this. I must admit I myself
    don't know how to do it the easy way.

    Maybe somebody can pinpoint us to a web-page that explains it all in detail.

    Good luck and have fun. And don't forget to take a couple of Aspirin or
    Paracetamol tablets before you start. <G>
    --
    choro-nik
    ********
    "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    > Try this,
    > Right click My COmputer, select Manage, on directory tree select Storage
    > and Disk Management branch, right click on drive and select Change Drive
    > Letter or Path.
    >
    > r.
    >

    > <blugrass@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> My dimension 4100 came with Windows ME installed. I
    >> recently added a 120GB drive. I put jumpers on the new
    >> drive and the old to "cable/select and put the new drive
    >> in the Master position on the cable and the old drive in
    >> the Slave position. I then put XP Home edition in cd
    >> drive and started computer. Everything came out fine
    >> except the old drive is still "C" and the new drive
    >> is "E". The computer boots up XP. How do I change the
    >> new drive to "C" and the old to "E".

    Thanks choro-nik,

    r.

    "choro-nik" <choro-nik@tvcom.net> wrote in message
    > You can change drive letters as you described. The only snag is that you
    > CANNOT re-assign another letter to the drive that has got Windows XP
    > installed on it while it is active. A sort of Catch 22 situation. But if
    > you want to reformat your hard disk anyway read on...
    >
    > I had this problem and my solution was to
    > 1- physically disconnect the second hard disk and clear CMOS on the
    > motherboard making sure the 2nd HD was still not SEEN to be there.
    > 2- format the hard disk that had Windows on it
    > 3- Reinstall Windows on the ONLY hard disk left connected
    > 4- After everything is done and the system is back up and running,
    > reconnect the second hard disk which will now automatically be given the
    > next unused letter -- in my case a G.
    > 5- Access the Console and re-assign letters to the various drives. Be
    > smart here and think ! I had CDEF to contend with. You have to think
    > ahead. I called my D a G which released the letter D which I could now use
    > for my 2nd HD changing it from F to D. Get the idea?
    >
    > But having said all this, I know there IS an easier way to do this from
    > the Console without having to reformat the HD and reinstall Windows. It is
    > done by starting Windows FROM the CD and to do this you will have to
    > enable CD start. F11 (?) as the computer starts. But you have to know what
    > you are doing to use this method which is the easier neater solution to
    > the problem. And you don't have to reformat the HD and reinstall Windows
    > because when you enable CD start the HD is not active and its assigned
    > letter can be changed. But you do have to know how to do this. I must
    > admit I myself don't know how to do it the easy way.
    >
    > Maybe somebody can pinpoint us to a web-page that explains it all in
    > detail.
    >
    > Good luck and have fun. And don't forget to take a couple of Aspirin or
    > Paracetamol tablets before you start. <G>
    > --
    > choro-nik
    > ********
    > "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    >> Try this,
    >> Right click My COmputer, select Manage, on directory tree select Storage
    >> and Disk Management branch, right click on drive and select Change Drive
    >> Letter or Path.
    >>
    >> r.
    >>

    >> <blugrass@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> My dimension 4100 came with Windows ME installed. I
    >>> recently added a 120GB drive. I put jumpers on the new
    >>> drive and the old to "cable/select and put the new drive
    >>> in the Master position on the cable and the old drive in
    >>> the Slave position. I then put XP Home edition in cd
    >>> drive and started computer. Everything came out fine
    >>> except the old drive is still "C" and the new drive
    >>> is "E". The computer boots up XP. How do I change the
    >>> new drive to "C" and the old to "E".

Windows XP