drive letter swap

My dimension 4100 came with Windows ME installed. I
recently added a 120GB drive. I put jumpers on the new
drive and the old to "cable/select and put the new drive
in the Master position on the cable and the old drive in
the Slave position. I then put XP Home edition in cd
drive and started computer. Everything came out fine
except the old drive is still "C" and the new drive
is "E". The computer boots up XP. How do I change the
new drive to "C" and the old to "E".

Reinstall again, but disable the old drive in the BIOS at least.

If dissabling it in the BIOS doesn't work, then take it off the IDE ribbon
completely. Then you can do a repair install and put it back when it's
finished.

"Jetro" wrote:

> Reinstall again, but disable the old drive in the BIOS at least.

I disconnected old drive and reinstalled and booted up
again with the XP disk. The new drive still came out "F".

Try this,
Right click My COmputer, select Manage, on directory tree select Storage and
Disk Management branch, right click on drive and select Change Drive Letter
or Path.

r.

<blugrass@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> My dimension 4100 came with Windows ME installed. I
> recently added a 120GB drive. I put jumpers on the new
> drive and the old to "cable/select and put the new drive
> in the Master position on the cable and the old drive in
> the Slave position. I then put XP Home edition in cd
> drive and started computer. Everything came out fine
> except the old drive is still "C" and the new drive
> is "E". The computer boots up XP. How do I change the
> new drive to "C" and the old to "E".

E: or F:? When you come to the point, delete all the partitions from the new
drive, interrupt the setup (F3) and start over.

You can change drive letters as you described. The only snag is that you
CANNOT re-assign another letter to the drive that has got Windows XP
installed on it while it is active. A sort of Catch 22 situation. But if you
want to reformat your hard disk anyway read on...

I had this problem and my solution was to
1- physically disconnect the second hard disk and clear CMOS on the
motherboard making sure the 2nd HD was still not SEEN to be there.
2- format the hard disk that had Windows on it
3- Reinstall Windows on the ONLY hard disk left connected
4- After everything is done and the system is back up and running, reconnect
the second hard disk which will now automatically be given the next unused
letter -- in my case a G.
5- Access the Console and re-assign letters to the various drives. Be smart
here and think ! I had CDEF to contend with. You have to think ahead. I
called my D a G which released the letter D which I could now use for my 2nd
HD changing it from F to D. Get the idea?

But having said all this, I know there IS an easier way to do this from the
Console without having to reformat the HD and reinstall Windows. It is done
by starting Windows FROM the CD and to do this you will have to enable CD
start. F11 (?) as the computer starts. But you have to know what you are
doing to use this method which is the easier neater solution to the problem.
And you don't have to reformat the HD and reinstall Windows because when
you enable CD start the HD is not active and its assigned letter can be
changed. But you do have to know how to do this. I must admit I myself
don't know how to do it the easy way.

Maybe somebody can pinpoint us to a web-page that explains it all in detail.

Good luck and have fun. And don't forget to take a couple of Aspirin or
Paracetamol tablets before you start. <G>
--
choro-nik
********
"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
> Try this,
> Right click My COmputer, select Manage, on directory tree select Storage
> and Disk Management branch, right click on drive and select Change Drive
> Letter or Path.
>
> r.
>

> <blugrass@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> My dimension 4100 came with Windows ME installed. I
>> recently added a 120GB drive. I put jumpers on the new
>> drive and the old to "cable/select and put the new drive
>> in the Master position on the cable and the old drive in
>> the Slave position. I then put XP Home edition in cd
>> drive and started computer. Everything came out fine
>> except the old drive is still "C" and the new drive
>> is "E". The computer boots up XP. How do I change the
>> new drive to "C" and the old to "E".

Thanks choro-nik,

r.