I believe I've lost the data on my primary hard drive!

My father and I were installing a new 160GB Western Digital hard drive to my
computer. We made sure to follow every precaution and instruction listed in
the manual for a new hard drive. We had it installed in the second bay.

And, you guessed it, I didn't back up. It was just too much to back up; 20
gigs of music that I've spent about 5 years collecting, about 6 gigs of
photoshop and bitmap files I've created over the last few years, all of my
writing, etc etc...

We turned on the computer and it said something like "boot disk failure" (I
feel stupid for not knowing the exact message but I'm sure you understand
which message I mean). We used the software that came with the new drive
(Data Lifeguard) and it recognized both drives, but wanted to reformat the
our primary drive, the Maxtor 60GB. It doesn't seem to recognize that
there's any information on it, but the information the software finds about
it says that there is bootable data, and it does show the 2 partitions.
However, when we tried to transfer data from one partition to another, it
just acted like the drive was blank.

I've checked around this newsgroup for other hard drive problems involving
data loss, and we found a solution that my dad and I had already thought
about; Installing XP on the new drive, and having the Maxtor be a secondary
drive, and try to copy the important files (text, media, etc) to the new
drive and then reformat the Maxtor.

We're thinking that we might have wiped the drive with a static electricity
problem. The literature with the hard drive said to make sure the computer
is off when installing a new hard drive, but another source said that the
computer MUST be turned on to prevent damage from static electricity. We
turned the computer off when putting in the new hard drive, and we've also
switched the drives a couple times to try different solutions.

Sorry for such a long post, but does anybody have any solutions to recovery,
or speculations as to what wrecked the hard drive? And will we probably be
able to copy the files to the new drive if it's used as a slave drive?

I've lost the Windows XP disc, so I guess getting a new one comes first. I
believe Microsoft will give us a new disc since I'm registered but I'm not
completely sure.

Thank you all for your time.
11 answers Last reply
More about lost data primary hard drive

    Also, Microsoft will not replace your Xp disc for free. If you buy a car,
    register it, and then "lose" it, will the manufacturer replace it? Lesson
    #2, you have learned with this experience...Don't lose important discs.

    Bobby

    "es4514" <es4514@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My father and I were installing a new 160GB Western Digital hard drive to
    > my
    > computer. We made sure to follow every precaution and instruction listed
    > in
    > the manual for a new hard drive. We had it installed in the second bay.
    >
    > And, you guessed it, I didn't back up. It was just too much to back up;
    > 20
    > gigs of music that I've spent about 5 years collecting, about 6 gigs of
    > photoshop and bitmap files I've created over the last few years, all of my
    > writing, etc etc...
    >
    > We turned on the computer and it said something like "boot disk failure"
    > (I
    > feel stupid for not knowing the exact message but I'm sure you understand
    > which message I mean). We used the software that came with the new drive
    > (Data Lifeguard) and it recognized both drives, but wanted to reformat
    > the
    > our primary drive, the Maxtor 60GB. It doesn't seem to recognize that
    > there's any information on it, but the information the software finds
    > about
    > it says that there is bootable data, and it does show the 2 partitions.
    > However, when we tried to transfer data from one partition to another, it
    > just acted like the drive was blank.
    >
    > I've checked around this newsgroup for other hard drive problems involving
    > data loss, and we found a solution that my dad and I had already thought
    > about; Installing XP on the new drive, and having the Maxtor be a
    > secondary
    > drive, and try to copy the important files (text, media, etc) to the new
    > drive and then reformat the Maxtor.
    >
    > We're thinking that we might have wiped the drive with a static
    > electricity
    > problem. The literature with the hard drive said to make sure the
    > computer
    > is off when installing a new hard drive, but another source said that the
    > computer MUST be turned on to prevent damage from static electricity. We
    > turned the computer off when putting in the new hard drive, and we've also
    > switched the drives a couple times to try different solutions.
    >
    > Sorry for such a long post, but does anybody have any solutions to
    > recovery,
    > or speculations as to what wrecked the hard drive? And will we probably
    > be
    > able to copy the files to the new drive if it's used as a slave drive?
    >
    > I've lost the Windows XP disc, so I guess getting a new one comes first.
    > believe Microsoft will give us a new disc since I'm registered but I'm not
    > completely sure.
    >
    > Thank you all for your time.

    Life has a way of teaching those who are too "lazy" to do what is right.
    You have learned a valuable lesson. Since you chose not to back up, you
    have no one to blame but yourself. I would bet that you will back up in the
    future.

    Bobby

    "es4514" <es4514@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My father and I were installing a new 160GB Western Digital hard drive to
    > my
    > computer. We made sure to follow every precaution and instruction listed
    > in
    > the manual for a new hard drive. We had it installed in the second bay.
    >
    > And, you guessed it, I didn't back up. It was just too much to back up;
    > 20
    > gigs of music that I've spent about 5 years collecting, about 6 gigs of
    > photoshop and bitmap files I've created over the last few years, all of my
    > writing, etc etc...
    >
    > We turned on the computer and it said something like "boot disk failure"
    > (I
    > feel stupid for not knowing the exact message but I'm sure you understand
    > which message I mean). We used the software that came with the new drive
    > (Data Lifeguard) and it recognized both drives, but wanted to reformat
    > the
    > our primary drive, the Maxtor 60GB. It doesn't seem to recognize that
    > there's any information on it, but the information the software finds
    > about
    > it says that there is bootable data, and it does show the 2 partitions.
    > However, when we tried to transfer data from one partition to another, it
    > just acted like the drive was blank.
    >
    > I've checked around this newsgroup for other hard drive problems involving
    > data loss, and we found a solution that my dad and I had already thought
    > about; Installing XP on the new drive, and having the Maxtor be a
    > secondary
    > drive, and try to copy the important files (text, media, etc) to the new
    > drive and then reformat the Maxtor.
    >
    > We're thinking that we might have wiped the drive with a static
    > electricity
    > problem. The literature with the hard drive said to make sure the
    > computer
    > is off when installing a new hard drive, but another source said that the
    > computer MUST be turned on to prevent damage from static electricity. We
    > turned the computer off when putting in the new hard drive, and we've also
    > switched the drives a couple times to try different solutions.
    >
    > Sorry for such a long post, but does anybody have any solutions to
    > recovery,
    > or speculations as to what wrecked the hard drive? And will we probably
    > be
    > able to copy the files to the new drive if it's used as a slave drive?
    >
    > I've lost the Windows XP disc, so I guess getting a new one comes first.
    > believe Microsoft will give us a new disc since I'm registered but I'm not
    > completely sure.
    >
    > Thank you all for your time.

    The best way to find if your old stuff is still completely intact it to
    remove the new drive and try the machine exactly as it was before you even
    bought the new drive - it may well boot.

    Do you want to have XP booting from the new HDD, or just use it as a slave
    for more starage space? Cos the was you set them up is diffferent for each.

    Hope it helps

    "es4514" wrote:

    > My father and I were installing a new 160GB Western Digital hard drive to my
    > computer. We made sure to follow every precaution and instruction listed in
    > the manual for a new hard drive. We had it installed in the second bay.
    >
    > And, you guessed it, I didn't back up. It was just too much to back up; 20
    > gigs of music that I've spent about 5 years collecting, about 6 gigs of
    > photoshop and bitmap files I've created over the last few years, all of my
    > writing, etc etc...
    >
    > We turned on the computer and it said something like "boot disk failure" (I
    > feel stupid for not knowing the exact message but I'm sure you understand
    > which message I mean). We used the software that came with the new drive
    > (Data Lifeguard) and it recognized both drives, but wanted to reformat the
    > our primary drive, the Maxtor 60GB. It doesn't seem to recognize that
    > there's any information on it, but the information the software finds about
    > it says that there is bootable data, and it does show the 2 partitions.
    > However, when we tried to transfer data from one partition to another, it
    > just acted like the drive was blank.
    >
    > I've checked around this newsgroup for other hard drive problems involving
    > data loss, and we found a solution that my dad and I had already thought
    > about; Installing XP on the new drive, and having the Maxtor be a secondary
    > drive, and try to copy the important files (text, media, etc) to the new
    > drive and then reformat the Maxtor.
    >
    > We're thinking that we might have wiped the drive with a static electricity
    > problem. The literature with the hard drive said to make sure the computer
    > is off when installing a new hard drive, but another source said that the
    > computer MUST be turned on to prevent damage from static electricity. We
    > turned the computer off when putting in the new hard drive, and we've also
    > switched the drives a couple times to try different solutions.
    >
    > Sorry for such a long post, but does anybody have any solutions to recovery,
    > or speculations as to what wrecked the hard drive? And will we probably be
    > able to copy the files to the new drive if it's used as a slave drive?
    >
    > I've lost the Windows XP disc, so I guess getting a new one comes first. I
    > believe Microsoft will give us a new disc since I'm registered but I'm not
    > completely sure.
    >
    > Thank you all for your time.

    Sorry to hear you lost everything, but now you know that you MUST take the
    time to "back up" your files, no matter how long it takes!

    Most of us learned the same lessen the same way (-:

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "es4514" <es4514@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My father and I were installing a new 160GB Western Digital hard drive to
    > my
    > computer. We made sure to follow every precaution and instruction listed
    > in
    > the manual for a new hard drive. We had it installed in the second bay.
    >
    > And, you guessed it, I didn't back up. It was just too much to back up;
    > 20
    > gigs of music that I've spent about 5 years collecting, about 6 gigs of
    > photoshop and bitmap files I've created over the last few years, all of my
    > writing, etc etc...
    >
    > We turned on the computer and it said something like "boot disk failure"
    > (I
    > feel stupid for not knowing the exact message but I'm sure you understand
    > which message I mean). We used the software that came with the new drive
    > (Data Lifeguard) and it recognized both drives, but wanted to reformat
    > the
    > our primary drive, the Maxtor 60GB. It doesn't seem to recognize that
    > there's any information on it, but the information the software finds
    > about
    > it says that there is bootable data, and it does show the 2 partitions.
    > However, when we tried to transfer data from one partition to another, it
    > just acted like the drive was blank.
    >
    > I've checked around this newsgroup for other hard drive problems involving
    > data loss, and we found a solution that my dad and I had already thought
    > about; Installing XP on the new drive, and having the Maxtor be a
    > secondary
    > drive, and try to copy the important files (text, media, etc) to the new
    > drive and then reformat the Maxtor.
    >
    > We're thinking that we might have wiped the drive with a static
    > electricity
    > problem. The literature with the hard drive said to make sure the
    > computer
    > is off when installing a new hard drive, but another source said that the
    > computer MUST be turned on to prevent damage from static electricity. We
    > turned the computer off when putting in the new hard drive, and we've also
    > switched the drives a couple times to try different solutions.
    >
    > Sorry for such a long post, but does anybody have any solutions to
    > recovery,
    > or speculations as to what wrecked the hard drive? And will we probably
    > be
    > able to copy the files to the new drive if it's used as a slave drive?
    >
    > I've lost the Windows XP disc, so I guess getting a new one comes first.
    > believe Microsoft will give us a new disc since I'm registered but I'm not
    > completely sure.
    >
    > Thank you all for your time.

    Yap back up is VERY important!!!!! Back up, Back up!!!!
> [...]
    >> problem. The literature with the hard drive said to make sure the
    >> computer
    >> is off when installing a new hard drive, but another source said that the
    >> computer MUST be turned on to prevent damage from static electricity. We
    >> turned the computer off when putting in the new hard drive, and we've
    >> also
    >> switched the drives a couple times to try different solutions.
    >>
    >> Sorry for such a long post, but does anybody have any solutions to
    >> recovery,
    >> or speculations as to what wrecked the hard drive? And will we probably
    >> be
    >> able to copy the files to the new drive if it's used as a slave drive?
    >>
    >> I've lost the Windows XP disc, so I guess getting a new one comes first.
    >> believe Microsoft will give us a new disc since I'm registered but I'm

    Check the jumpers on both hard drives.
    With the changes you made, the jumpers may need to be changed.

    Otherwise remove new drive and configure computer just like it was
    before this started.
    That will help let you know the status of your data.

    If Windows XP is retail contact Microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326246

    If Windows XP is OEM, contact the seller, Microsoft may not be able to
    help with OEM.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

> [...]
    > computer
    > is off when installing a new hard drive, but another source said
    > that the
    > computer MUST be turned on to prevent damage from static
    > electricity. We
    > turned the computer off when putting in the new hard drive, and
    > we've also
    > switched the drives a couple times to try different solutions.
    >
    > Sorry for such a long post, but does anybody have any solutions to
    > recovery,
    > or speculations as to what wrecked the hard drive? And will we
    > probably be
    > able to copy the files to the new drive if it's used as a slave
    > drive?
    >
    > I've lost the Windows XP disc, so I guess getting a new one comes
    > first. I
    > believe Microsoft will give us a new disc since I'm registered but

    Just to be sure, re-read the part where Jupiter Jones
    says "just like it was"...double check everything. Things
    like multi-boot and decisions the CMOS makes for you
    about the boot order can prevent the drive from booting
    or even being visible if even the most trivial things are
    changed.

    If still no go, check the CMOS IDE detection and make
    sure the drive still detects properly and it is first in
    the boot sequence (maybe even ahead of the floppy drive).

    Finally, third party tools like Partition Magic will tell
    you with more certainty whether the partitions are
    damaged and whether they are repairable if so.

    Mike

    Original Posters Quote:
    "We're thinking that we might have wiped the drive with a static electricity
    problem. The literature with the hard drive said to make sure the computer
    is off when installing a new hard drive, but another source said that the
    computer MUST be turned on to prevent damage from static electricity. We
    turned the computer off when putting in the new hard drive, and we've also
    switched the drives a couple times to try different solutions"

    ALWAYS turn the power off before opening the case. If not your hardware and
    personal safety is at risk. Period. I seriously doubt ANY responsible
    source said that the computer must be turned on to work inside the case.
    You must have misunderstood. Some sources state that the power cord should
    be connected to keep the case grounded and thus help in reducing static
    discharge. Turning the surge protector or UPS power switch off will remove
    power to the PC but will maintain the ground connection as suggested. And
    if your not using a UPS or good quality surge protector, expect further
    problems.

    r.

    "es4514" <es4514@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My father and I were installing a new 160GB Western Digital hard drive to
    > my
    > computer. We made sure to follow every precaution and instruction listed
    > in
    > the manual for a new hard drive. We had it installed in the second bay.
    >
    > And, you guessed it, I didn't back up. It was just too much to back up;
    > 20
    > gigs of music that I've spent about 5 years collecting, about 6 gigs of
    > photoshop and bitmap files I've created over the last few years, all of my
    > writing, etc etc...
    >
    > We turned on the computer and it said something like "boot disk failure"
    > (I
    > feel stupid for not knowing the exact message but I'm sure you understand
    > which message I mean). We used the software that came with the new drive
    > (Data Lifeguard) and it recognized both drives, but wanted to reformat
    > the
    > our primary drive, the Maxtor 60GB. It doesn't seem to recognize that
    > there's any information on it, but the information the software finds
    > about
    > it says that there is bootable data, and it does show the 2 partitions.
    > However, when we tried to transfer data from one partition to another, it
    > just acted like the drive was blank.
    >
    > I've checked around this newsgroup for other hard drive problems involving
    > data loss, and we found a solution that my dad and I had already thought
    > about; Installing XP on the new drive, and having the Maxtor be a
    > secondary
    > drive, and try to copy the important files (text, media, etc) to the new
    > drive and then reformat the Maxtor.
    >
    > We're thinking that we might have wiped the drive with a static
    > electricity
    > problem. The literature with the hard drive said to make sure the
    > computer
    > is off when installing a new hard drive, but another source said that the
    > computer MUST be turned on to prevent damage from static electricity. We
    > turned the computer off when putting in the new hard drive, and we've also
    > switched the drives a couple times to try different solutions.
    >
    > Sorry for such a long post, but does anybody have any solutions to
    > recovery,
    > or speculations as to what wrecked the hard drive? And will we probably
    > be
    > able to copy the files to the new drive if it's used as a slave drive?
    >
    > I've lost the Windows XP disc, so I guess getting a new one comes first.
    > believe Microsoft will give us a new disc since I'm registered but I'm not
    > completely sure.
    >
    > Thank you all for your time.

    Hi:

    If you do confirm data are lost, and you may search from the net using "Data
    Recovery" to find some services who can help people to recover data from
    broken hard disk.

    There will be fees involved and may not work because it's a case-by-case
    situation.

    However, just a tip and good luck.

    --
    Business executive who believes technology but don't want to be messed
    around.
> [...]
    >> problem. The literature with the hard drive said to make sure the
    >> computer
    >> is off when installing a new hard drive, but another source said that the
    >> computer MUST be turned on to prevent damage from static electricity. We
    >> turned the computer off when putting in the new hard drive, and we've
    >> also
    >> switched the drives a couple times to try different solutions.
    >>
    >> Sorry for such a long post, but does anybody have any solutions to
    >> recovery,
    >> or speculations as to what wrecked the hard drive? And will we probably
    >> be
    >> able to copy the files to the new drive if it's used as a slave drive?
    >>
    >> I've lost the Windows XP disc, so I guess getting a new one comes first.
    >> believe Microsoft will give us a new disc since I'm registered but I'm

    Sorry, put the information down wrong. I meant that one source said it
    should be unplugged, one said it should be plugged in. We had it unplugged
    when we put in the new hard drive. And for the suggestions of putting it
    back like it was... We've done that too. We've tried it without the new hard
    drive, and it's definitely the main drive that's messed up. The new drive is
    recognized by the Data Lifeguard software, it even has the options to
    partition, etc etc.

    Hearing that Microsoft will not replace the XP recovery disk is scary. We
    moved recently and I have no clue what box my XP stuff is in, I've looked all
    over. But in buying the computer and Windows XP, aren't you buying the
    license to use XP rather than the actual disk? I have the serial number,
    model number and everything to prove that I've paid for it; I don't see why
    they couldn't send it. Microsoft must really be that cheap, huh?

    I don't know if I'm just going to have to pay for XP all over again, but
    whatever way I get XP I'm planning to install it on the new hard drive if I
    can't get the recovery disk for the old one, and then try to use FASTW to
    transfer all the files if it can see them, or try to get some data recovery
    software.

    Thanks again, everybody.

    "namniar" wrote:

> [...]
    > > electricity
    > > problem. The literature with the hard drive said to make sure the
    > > computer
    > > is off when installing a new hard drive, but another source said that the
    > > computer MUST be turned on to prevent damage from static electricity. We
    > > turned the computer off when putting in the new hard drive, and we've also
    > > switched the drives a couple times to try different solutions.
    > >
    > > Sorry for such a long post, but does anybody have any solutions to
    > > recovery,
    > > or speculations as to what wrecked the hard drive? And will we probably
    > > be
    > > able to copy the files to the new drive if it's used as a slave drive?
    > >
    > > I've lost the Windows XP disc, so I guess getting a new one comes first.
    > > believe Microsoft will give us a new disc since I'm registered but I'm not

    If it is a retail Windows XP CD, Microsoft will replace it as stated
    in my other post.
    However if you have an OEM recovery CD, Microsoft can't since it is
    custom made by your OEM.
    Think of OEM as being manufactured, sold and supported by the seller
    and not Microsoft.
    Microsoft is not in that OEM loop so you should not expect Microsoft
    to replace it.
    Another of the many reasons you paid less for your OEM.

    --

    > Sorry, put the information down wrong. I meant that one source said
    > it
    > should be unplugged, one said it should be plugged in. We had it
    > unplugged
    > when we put in the new hard drive. And for the suggestions of
    > putting it
    > back like it was... We've done that too. We've tried it without the
    > new hard
    > drive, and it's definitely the main drive that's messed up. The new
    > drive is
    > recognized by the Data Lifeguard software, it even has the options
    > partition, etc etc.
    >
    > Hearing that Microsoft will not replace the XP recovery disk is
    > scary. We
    > moved recently and I have no clue what box my XP stuff is in, I've
    > looked all
    > over. But in buying the computer and Windows XP, aren't you buying
    > the
    > license to use XP rather than the actual disk? I have the serial
    > number,
    > model number and everything to prove that I've paid for it; I don't
    > see why
    > they couldn't send it. Microsoft must really be that cheap, huh?
    >
    > I don't know if I'm just going to have to pay for XP all over again,
    > but
    > whatever way I get XP I'm planning to install it on the new hard
    > drive if I
    > can't get the recovery disk for the old one, and then try to use
    > FASTW to
    > transfer all the files if it can see them, or try to get some data
    > recovery
    > software.
    >
    > Thanks again, everybody.

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP