mn-700 wireless slower

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
February 15, 2005 1:41:02 AM

I've been using a mn-700 and mn-720 for a while now without any noticable
problems. However, when I started using a laptop with a 11b adapter built in
I noticed that the wirless move much slower, up to 50% occasionally more.
Even though it stays bellow 11mbps with the 11b and the 11g, is this normal?

More about : 700 wireless slower

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 15, 2005 3:56:42 PM

Dear sir/madam,

Do you mean to say that with one particular laptop the network is much
slower? Would it be possible that you are using a Centrino chipset computer
from Intel? I know of some driver-related issues with this model and its
wireless card. This is one distinct possibility. It would be good to
narrow this down to being an issue with this laptop and this router
specifically.

Since it appears to be a harware problem, you should look at the web sites
of the manufacturers so that you can verify you are running the latest
drivers/firmwares for this wireless devices. This is most likely not a
problem with Windows XP, etc. in general. If you are not sure where to find
those driver, tech support for those manufacturers should be able to help
you out.

--
Brian Wehrle
bwehrle@online.microsoft.com

"TGWelfman" <TGWelfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been using a mn-700 and mn-720 for a while now without any noticable
> problems. However, when I started using a laptop with a 11b adapter built
> in
> I noticed that the wirless move much slower, up to 50% occasionally more.
> Even though it stays bellow 11mbps with the 11b and the 11g, is this
> normal?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 17, 2005 8:55:47 PM

Hi,

When you were using just the MN-700 and MN-720 together you were using
the 11g protocol which can transfer data at up to 54 Mbps. Once you start
using an 11b adapter in the wireless network, then the speed of the entire
network is reduced to a maximum of 11 Mbps. So, yes that is normal.

Thanks,
Chris Gual [MSFT]

"TGWelfman" <TGWelfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been using a mn-700 and mn-720 for a while now without any noticable
> problems. However, when I started using a laptop with a 11b adapter built
> in
> I noticed that the wirless move much slower, up to 50% occasionally more.
> Even though it stays bellow 11mbps with the 11b and the 11g, is this
> normal?
a b F Wireless
February 18, 2005 2:07:01 AM

thanks for the information, but that is not the problem, my Internet speed
registers betwwen 3-4Mbps when I connect to the router with a cable, but only
1-2Mbps when I use the wifi. I know the network itself i slower, why does the
bandwidth drop?

"Chris Gual [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When you were using just the MN-700 and MN-720 together you were using
> the 11g protocol which can transfer data at up to 54 Mbps. Once you start
> using an 11b adapter in the wireless network, then the speed of the entire
> network is reduced to a maximum of 11 Mbps. So, yes that is normal.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Gual [MSFT]
>
> "TGWelfman" <TGWelfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been using a mn-700 and mn-720 for a while now without any noticable
> > problems. However, when I started using a laptop with a 11b adapter built
> > in
> > I noticed that the wirless move much slower, up to 50% occasionally more.
> > Even though it stays bellow 11mbps with the 11b and the 11g, is this
> > normal?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 18, 2005 1:44:52 PM

Hi,

Are you measuring the Internet bandwidth from the same computer for the
3-4 Mbps and the 1-2 Mbps. For example, do you measure a 3-4 Mbps bandwidth
from the computer connected with a cable, connect another computer onto the
wireless LAN and then measure the Internet bandwidth from the wired computer
at 1-2 Mbps? Or are you measuring the 1-2 Mbps bandwidth from the wireless
computer? Or, does the bandwidth for both the wired and wireless computers
drop to 1-2 Mbps when you start using the wireless LAN?

Thanks,
Chris Gual [MSFT]

> thanks for the information, but that is not the problem, my Internet speed
> registers betwwen 3-4Mbps when I connect to the router with a cable, but
> only
> 1-2Mbps when I use the wifi. I know the network itself i slower, why does
> the
> bandwidth drop?
>
> "Chris Gual [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When you were using just the MN-700 and MN-720 together you were
>> using
>> the 11g protocol which can transfer data at up to 54 Mbps. Once you
>> start
>> using an 11b adapter in the wireless network, then the speed of the
>> entire
>> network is reduced to a maximum of 11 Mbps. So, yes that is normal.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris Gual [MSFT]
>> --
>> rights.
>>
>> "TGWelfman" <TGWelfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've been using a mn-700 and mn-720 for a while now without any
>> > noticable
>> > problems. However, when I started using a laptop with a 11b adapter
>> > built
>> > in
>> > I noticed that the wirless move much slower, up to 50% occasionally
>> > more.
>> > Even though it stays bellow 11mbps with the 11b and the 11g, is this
>> > normal?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 19, 2005 1:31:01 AM

Hmm, good question, only one working computer right now, I'll try check with
both active as soon as my other compter is on its feet again.

"Chris Gual [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are you measuring the Internet bandwidth from the same computer for the
> 3-4 Mbps and the 1-2 Mbps. For example, do you measure a 3-4 Mbps bandwidth
> from the computer connected with a cable, connect another computer onto the
> wireless LAN and then measure the Internet bandwidth from the wired computer
> at 1-2 Mbps? Or are you measuring the 1-2 Mbps bandwidth from the wireless
> computer? Or, does the bandwidth for both the wired and wireless computers
> drop to 1-2 Mbps when you start using the wireless LAN?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Gual [MSFT]
>
> "TGWelfman" <TGWelfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thanks for the information, but that is not the problem, my Internet speed
> > registers betwwen 3-4Mbps when I connect to the router with a cable, but
> > only
> > 1-2Mbps when I use the wifi. I know the network itself i slower, why does
> > the
> > bandwidth drop?
> >
> > "Chris Gual [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> When you were using just the MN-700 and MN-720 together you were
> >> using
> >> the 11g protocol which can transfer data at up to 54 Mbps. Once you
> >> start
> >> using an 11b adapter in the wireless network, then the speed of the
> >> entire
> >> network is reduced to a maximum of 11 Mbps. So, yes that is normal.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Chris Gual [MSFT]
> >> --
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> "TGWelfman" <TGWelfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 9, 2005 8:18:51 PM

You should realise that even though an 802..11g network is capable of
54Mbps, this theoretical bandwidth top-end is achieved when the all wireless
clients connections are of type 802.11g. If you added a 802.11b client
connection onto the same network, the throughput would drop to well below
54Mbps. I've read somewhere that some clients experience bandwidth within
20-30Mbps range with mixed clients (b+g) on a g network. Results vary based
on the NICs and drivers so I cannot cite specific examples.

If you wanted to always maintain the 54Mbps available bandwidth, there are
dual-radio router products (a+g) which contain two radios to separate
wireless networks. G+b clients can operate on the G radio while the A radio
can handle A clients exclusively for the 54Mbps bandwidth. Obviously this
approach requires 802.11a clients and a new router :-(

--
Oliver
This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

!