mn-700 wireless slower

I've been using a mn-700 and mn-720 for a while now without any noticable
problems. However, when I started using a laptop with a 11b adapter built in
I noticed that the wirless move much slower, up to 50% occasionally more.
Even though it stays bellow 11mbps with the 11b and the 11g, is this normal?
6 answers Last reply
More about wireless slower

    Dear sir/madam,

    Do you mean to say that with one particular laptop the network is much
    slower? Would it be possible that you are using a Centrino chipset computer
    from Intel? I know of some driver-related issues with this model and its
    wireless card. This is one distinct possibility. It would be good to
    narrow this down to being an issue with this laptop and this router
    specifically.

    Since it appears to be a harware problem, you should look at the web sites
    of the manufacturers so that you can verify you are running the latest
    drivers/firmwares for this wireless devices. This is most likely not a
    problem with Windows XP, etc. in general. If you are not sure where to find
    those driver, tech support for those manufacturers should be able to help
    you out.

    --
    Brian Wehrle
    bwehrle@online.microsoft.com

    "TGWelfman" <TGWelfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've been using a mn-700 and mn-720 for a while now without any noticable
    > problems. However, when I started using a laptop with a 11b adapter built
    > in
    > I noticed that the wirless move much slower, up to 50% occasionally more.
    > Even though it stays bellow 11mbps with the 11b and the 11g, is this
    > normal?

    Hi,

    When you were using just the MN-700 and MN-720 together you were using
    the 11g protocol which can transfer data at up to 54 Mbps. Once you start
    using an 11b adapter in the wireless network, then the speed of the entire
    network is reduced to a maximum of 11 Mbps. So, yes that is normal.

    Thanks,
    Chris Gual [MSFT]

    "TGWelfman" <TGWelfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've been using a mn-700 and mn-720 for a while now without any noticable
    > problems. However, when I started using a laptop with a 11b adapter built
    > in
    > I noticed that the wirless move much slower, up to 50% occasionally more.
    > Even though it stays bellow 11mbps with the 11b and the 11g, is this
    > normal?

    thanks for the information, but that is not the problem, my Internet speed
    registers betwwen 3-4Mbps when I connect to the router with a cable, but only
    1-2Mbps when I use the wifi. I know the network itself i slower, why does the
    bandwidth drop?

    "Chris Gual [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > When you were using just the MN-700 and MN-720 together you were using
    > the 11g protocol which can transfer data at up to 54 Mbps. Once you start
    > using an 11b adapter in the wireless network, then the speed of the entire
    > network is reduced to a maximum of 11 Mbps. So, yes that is normal.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris Gual [MSFT]
    >
    > "TGWelfman" <TGWelfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've been using a mn-700 and mn-720 for a while now without any noticable
    > > problems. However, when I started using a laptop with a 11b adapter built
    > > in
    > > I noticed that the wirless move much slower, up to 50% occasionally more.
    > > Even though it stays bellow 11mbps with the 11b and the 11g, is this
    > > normal?

    Hi,

    Are you measuring the Internet bandwidth from the same computer for the
    3-4 Mbps and the 1-2 Mbps. For example, do you measure a 3-4 Mbps bandwidth
    from the computer connected with a cable, connect another computer onto the
    wireless LAN and then measure the Internet bandwidth from the wired computer
    at 1-2 Mbps? Or are you measuring the 1-2 Mbps bandwidth from the wireless
    computer? Or, does the bandwidth for both the wired and wireless computers
    drop to 1-2 Mbps when you start using the wireless LAN?

    Thanks,
    Chris Gual [MSFT]

    > thanks for the information, but that is not the problem, my Internet speed
    > registers betwwen 3-4Mbps when I connect to the router with a cable, but
    > only
    > 1-2Mbps when I use the wifi. I know the network itself i slower, why does
    > the
    > bandwidth drop?
    >
    > "Chris Gual [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> When you were using just the MN-700 and MN-720 together you were
    >> using
    >> the 11g protocol which can transfer data at up to 54 Mbps. Once you
    >> start
    >> using an 11b adapter in the wireless network, then the speed of the
    >> entire
    >> network is reduced to a maximum of 11 Mbps. So, yes that is normal.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Chris Gual [MSFT]
    >> --
    >> rights.
    >>
    >> "TGWelfman" <TGWelfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I've been using a mn-700 and mn-720 for a while now without any
    >> > noticable
    >> > problems. However, when I started using a laptop with a 11b adapter
    >> > built
    >> > in
    >> > I noticed that the wirless move much slower, up to 50% occasionally
    >> > more.
    >> > Even though it stays bellow 11mbps with the 11b and the 11g, is this
    >> > normal?

    Hmm, good question, only one working computer right now, I'll try check with
    both active as soon as my other compter is on its feet again.

    "Chris Gual [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Are you measuring the Internet bandwidth from the same computer for the
    > 3-4 Mbps and the 1-2 Mbps. For example, do you measure a 3-4 Mbps bandwidth
    > from the computer connected with a cable, connect another computer onto the
    > wireless LAN and then measure the Internet bandwidth from the wired computer
    > at 1-2 Mbps? Or are you measuring the 1-2 Mbps bandwidth from the wireless
    > computer? Or, does the bandwidth for both the wired and wireless computers
    > drop to 1-2 Mbps when you start using the wireless LAN?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris Gual [MSFT]
    >
    > "TGWelfman" <TGWelfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > thanks for the information, but that is not the problem, my Internet speed
    > > registers betwwen 3-4Mbps when I connect to the router with a cable, but
    > > only
    > > 1-2Mbps when I use the wifi. I know the network itself i slower, why does
    > > the
    > > bandwidth drop?
    > >
    > > "Chris Gual [MSFT]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> When you were using just the MN-700 and MN-720 together you were
    > >> using
    > >> the 11g protocol which can transfer data at up to 54 Mbps. Once you
    > >> start
    > >> using an 11b adapter in the wireless network, then the speed of the
    > >> entire
    > >> network is reduced to a maximum of 11 Mbps. So, yes that is normal.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Chris Gual [MSFT]
    > >> --
    > >> rights.
    > >>
    > >> "TGWelfman" <TGWelfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You should realise that even though an 802..11g network is capable of
    54Mbps, this theoretical bandwidth top-end is achieved when the all wireless
    clients connections are of type 802.11g. If you added a 802.11b client
    connection onto the same network, the throughput would drop to well below
    54Mbps. I've read somewhere that some clients experience bandwidth within
    20-30Mbps range with mixed clients (b+g) on a g network. Results vary based
    on the NICs and drivers so I cannot cite specific examples.

    If you wanted to always maintain the 54Mbps available bandwidth, there are
    dual-radio router products (a+g) which contain two radios to separate
    wireless networks. G+b clients can operate on the G radio while the A radio
    can handle A clients exclusively for the 54Mbps bandwidth. Obviously this
    approach requires 802.11a clients and a new router :-(

    --
    Oliver
    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

    "Brian Wehrle [MSFT]" <bwehrle@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Dear sir/madam,
    >
    > Do you mean to say that with one particular laptop the network is much
    > slower? Would it be possible that you are using a Centrino chipset
    > computer from Intel? I know of some driver-related issues with this model
    > and its wireless card. This is one distinct possibility. It would be
    > good to narrow this down to being an issue with this laptop and this
    > router specifically.
    >
    > Since it appears to be a harware problem, you should look at the web sites
    > of the manufacturers so that you can verify you are running the latest
    > drivers/firmwares for this wireless devices. This is most likely not a
    > problem with Windows XP, etc. in general. If you are not sure where to
    > find those driver, tech support for those manufacturers should be able to
    > help you out.
    >
    > --
    > Brian Wehrle
    > bwehrle@online.microsoft.com
    > Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
    > Microsoft Corp.
    >
    > "TGWelfman" <TGWelfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I've been using a mn-700 and mn-720 for a while now without any noticable
    >> problems. However, when I started using a laptop with a 11b adapter built
    >> in
    >> I noticed that the wirless move much slower, up to 50% occasionally more.
    >> Even though it stays bellow 11mbps with the 11b and the 11g, is this
    >> normal?

Wireless Networking Microsoft Wireless Networking