bill

Hello all,
I have run into a problem and I cant find the answer - I
hope you can help me.

When I built this machine (Athlon 900/XP pro), I had to
make a decision. Because of a lot of factors that I wont
bore you with, I ended up using a 6 Gig HD as my system
drive (C:). I thought this would be adequate since I
planned to install all programs and data, etc, on a
larger D drive.

Well... that turned out not to be true. My C: drive has
only 200 megs left. I have moved the pagefile.sys file
and everything else I could find (the 'My Documents
folder, for example), but I am still running out of
space. I have cleaned out everything I could too.

I would like to swap this C drive out for a new, bigger
one without having to start from scratch reinstalling all
the applications on other drives (since the registry,
Application Data folders and others would be gone). I am
a devloper with all kinds of tools and databases that
would be a real pain to reconfigure.

I tried Norton Ghost to make an image that can be
restored on a non-matching size drive, but got an error.
I asked MS about this and they told me that they only
recommend starting from scratch.

Does anyone know a way I could tackle this?
Thanks!
Bill

woody

Most hard drive manufactures have a program that lets you image one drive to
another. Check your HD manufacturers web site for the program or check the
CD that came with the drive......

"Bill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> I have run into a problem and I cant find the answer - I
> hope you can help me.
>
> When I built this machine (Athlon 900/XP pro), I had to
> make a decision. Because of a lot of factors that I wont
> bore you with, I ended up using a 6 Gig HD as my system
> drive (C:). I thought this would be adequate since I
> planned to install all programs and data, etc, on a
> larger D drive.
>
> Well... that turned out not to be true. My C: drive has
> only 200 megs left. I have moved the pagefile.sys file
> and everything else I could find (the 'My Documents
> folder, for example), but I am still running out of
> space. I have cleaned out everything I could too.
>
> I would like to swap this C drive out for a new, bigger
> one without having to start from scratch reinstalling all
> the applications on other drives (since the registry,
> Application Data folders and others would be gone). I am
> a devloper with all kinds of tools and databases that
> would be a real pain to reconfigure.
>
> I tried Norton Ghost to make an image that can be
> restored on a non-matching size drive, but got an error.
> I asked MS about this and they told me that they only
> recommend starting from scratch.
>
> Does anyone know a way I could tackle this?
> Thanks!
> Bill

"Bill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> I have run into a problem and I cant find the answer - I
> hope you can help me.
>
> When I built this machine (Athlon 900/XP pro), I had to
> make a decision. Because of a lot of factors that I wont
> bore you with, I ended up using a 6 Gig HD as my system
> drive (C:). I thought this would be adequate since I
> planned to install all programs and data, etc, on a
> larger D drive.
>
> Well... that turned out not to be true. My C: drive has
> only 200 megs left. I have moved the pagefile.sys file
> and everything else I could find (the 'My Documents
> folder, for example), but I am still running out of
> space. I have cleaned out everything I could too.
>
> I would like to swap this C drive out for a new, bigger
> one without having to start from scratch reinstalling all
> the applications on other drives (since the registry,
> Application Data folders and others would be gone). I am
> a devloper with all kinds of tools and databases that
> would be a real pain to reconfigure.
>
> I tried Norton Ghost to make an image that can be
> restored on a non-matching size drive, but got an error.
> I asked MS about this and they told me that they only
> recommend starting from scratch.
>
> Does anyone know a way I could tackle this?
> Thanks!
> Bill

I do this sort of thing routinely, without any problem.
Can you provide more details?
- What exactly was the error you got?
- Do you have another WinXP/2000 PC available?
- Why did your drive C: fill up? Are you keeping
your data files there? Not a good idea . . .