7NJl6 and AMD Barton XP-M 2400+/2500+ Anyone using this co..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

I am about to upgrade from my current Palomino 1700+ to a Barton. Before
I pick a 2600+ not the mobile (XP-M) version, I would like to hear from
others who are using the mobile version in a 7NJL6. I am especially
interested in the 2400FQQC4 and the 2500FQQ4C. These processors are
clock unlocked according to a few reviews I have read and I would like
to use one of them if the BIOS of the 7NJL6 will run it above stock
speeds (266MHz FSB and 1.8 or 1.867 GHz respectively).

"" wrote:
> I am about to upgrade from my current Palomino 1700+ to a
> Barton. Before
> I pick a 2600+ not the mobile (XP-M) version, I would like to
> hear from
> others who are using the mobile version in a 7NJL6. I am
> especially
> interested in the 2400FQQC4 and the 2500FQQ4C. These
> processors are
> clock unlocked according to a few reviews I have read and I
> would like
> to use one of them if the BIOS of the 7NJL6 will run it above
> stock
> speeds (266MHz FSB and 1.8 or 1.867 GHz respectively).

first you can answer a question for me. does the 7njl6 have any way to
set multies or voltage? does the board have temp or voltages sensors?

as far as i know chaintech bios does not handle mobiles. i have a
7njs-ultra and with the v9.0 i have to set the multi in the bios.

i recently bought a kt600 and put a unlocked xp2500 in it. it’s like
driving a car without a rearview mirror. there are no sensors. since
the xp2500 has a 11 multi, i set mem to 1:1 200fsb@2200mhz. i’ve run
prime95 for 24 hours on it. i plan on trying a pin mod to see what
else it will do. i’m planning on trying a 11.5 multi which what a
straight xp2600 would have. when is the question. whether a pin mod
will produce the same results i don’t no yet. i do have a xp2400-m to
try later. some boards require cutting bridges and the like with
mobiles, i think. there are few ifs here. i won’t know till i try. if
you give me a week or so i can give the 2400-m a shot.

ud

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-7NJl6-AMD-Barton-XP-2400-2500-combo-ftopict58152.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=293968

http://www.usenet.com

uddarts wrote:
> "" wrote:
> > I am about to upgrade from my current Palomino 1700+ to a
> > Barton. Before
> > I pick a 2600+ not the mobile (XP-M) version, I would like to
> > hear from
> > others who are using the mobile version in a 7NJL6. I am
> > especially
> > interested in the 2400FQQC4 and the 2500FQQ4C. These
> > processors are
> > clock unlocked according to a few reviews I have read and I
> > would like
> > to use one of them if the BIOS of the 7NJL6 will run it above
> > stock
> > speeds (266MHz FSB and 1.8 or 1.867 GHz respectively).
>
> first you can answer a question for me. does the 7njl6 have any way to
> set multies or voltage? does the board have temp or voltages sensors?
>
> as far as i know chaintech bios does not handle mobiles. i have a
> 7njs-ultra and with the v9.0 i have to set the multi in the bios.
>
> i recently bought a kt600 and put a unlocked xp2500 in it. it’s like
> driving a car without a rearview mirror. there are no sensors. since
> the xp2500 has a 11 multi, i set mem to 1:1 200fsb@2200mhz. i’ve run
> prime95 for 24 hours on it. i plan on trying a pin mod to see what
> else it will do. i’m planning on trying a 11.5 multi which what a
> straight xp2600 would have. when is the question. whether a pin mod
> will produce the same results i don’t no yet. i do have a xp2400-m to
> try later. some boards require cutting bridges and the like with
> mobiles, i think. there are few ifs here. i won’t know till i try. if
> you give me a week or so i can give the 2400-m a shot.
>

> ud

The manual for the 7NJL6 shows a BIOS setting of expert for the CPU
Interface. However, when I go into the BIOS neither expert nor Turbo are
available. Only optimal and Aggressive show up. I don't know if you can
set these things as the manual and my BIOS screens (BIOS 2) do not
agree. That is why I was asking the questions which started this thread.
Hopefully someone else will respond with more info.

"" wrote:
> uddarts wrote:
> > "" wrote:
> > > I am about to upgrade from my current Palomino 1700+ to a
> > > Barton. Before
> > > I pick a 2600+ not the mobile (XP-M) version, I would
> like to
> > > hear from
> > > others who are using the mobile version in a 7NJL6. I am
> > > especially
> > > interested in the 2400FQQC4 and the 2500FQQ4C. These
> > > processors are
> > > clock unlocked according to a few reviews I have read and
> > > would like
> > > to use one of them if the BIOS of the 7NJL6 will run it
> above
> > > stock
> > > speeds (266MHz FSB and 1.8 or 1.867 GHz respectively).
> >
> > first you can answer a question for me. does the 7njl6 have
> any way to
> > set multies or voltage? does the board have temp or voltages
> sensors?
> >
> > as far as i know chaintech bios does not handle mobiles. i
> have a
> > 7njs-ultra and with the v9.0 i have to set the multi in the
> bios.
> >
> > i recently bought a kt600 and put a unlocked xp2500 in it.
> it’s like
> > driving a car without a rearview mirror. there are no
> sensors. since
> > the xp2500 has a 11 multi, i set mem to 1:1 200fsb@2200mhz.
> i’ve run
> > prime95 for 24 hours on it. i plan on trying a pin mod to
> see what
> > else it will do. i’m planning on trying a 11.5 multi which
> what a
> > straight xp2600 would have. when is the question. whether a
> pin mod
> > will produce the same results i don’t no yet. i do have a
> xp2400-m to
> > try later. some boards require cutting bridges and the like
> with
> > mobiles, i think. there are few ifs here. i won’t know till
> i try. if
> > you give me a week or so i can give the 2400-m a shot.
> >

> > ud
> >
> The manual for the 7NJL6 shows a BIOS setting of expert for
> the CPU
> Interface. However, when I go into the BIOS neither expert nor
> Turbo are
> available. Only optimal and Aggressive show up. I don't know
> if you can
> set these things as the manual and my BIOS screens (BIOS 2) do
> not
> agree. That is why I was asking the questions which started
> this thread.
> Hopefully someone else will respond with more info.

i did some tinkering yesterday with a 2400-m in the c-kt600. as a drop
and go you get a 1200mhz. i did several different pin mods and could
not get anything that would come close to a stable system. it appears
the way the bios is written, either it will never work with a mobile
or there needs to be an additional modification.

i have a 7nif4 that i picked up at the same time as the 600. it has
the optmal and agressive setting too. i’ve got a duron 1800 in it now
and haven’t experimented with it yet with the unlocked xp2500 or the
xp2400-m to see if there is a multi option that becomes available.

i would think your board and bios would react close to that of the
600, with a mobile. i wouldn’t gamble on getting the mobile to work.

i see two possible choices. a xp2500+ with the 11 multi or maybe the
xp2600+ , with the 11.5. since i was able to run the 2500 at 11x200
without any mod, you should be able to do the same and run at
xp3200/2200mhz. you might be but no guaranty to get a xp2600+ to
11..5x200. this all hangs on whether your using 400 ram.

i don’t know if your in the states but the only location that i have
puchased from before is

http://www.pcprogress.com/product.asp?m1=pw&pid=AMDXP2500333OEM

for the xp2500+.

you can play with the fsbs too as long as there is a agp & pci lock on
the board. the 7nif4 does.

you can use

http://www.cpuid.org/clockgen.php

my 2 cents..

edit: i don’t see why you couldn’t use the pin mod with a stock xp for
some extra voltage. that should work ok. as long you have good
cooling.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294298

stanmc wrote:
> I am about to upgrade from my current Palomino 1700+ to a Barton. Before
> I pick a 2600+ not the mobile (XP-M) version, I would like to hear from
> others who are using the mobile version in a 7NJL6. I am especially
> interested in the 2400FQQC4 and the 2500FQQ4C. These processors are
> clock unlocked according to a few reviews I have read and I would like
> to use one of them if the BIOS of the 7NJL6 will run it above stock
> speeds (266MHz FSB and 1.8 or 1.867 GHz respectively).
I am now able to answer my own question. The 7NJL6 does not support the
Barton XP-M chips very well. I installed the one I received today
(7/13/05) from NewEgg and it was only able to get to 1200MHz (1.2GHz). I
had thought that maybe the BIOS would offer the Expert mode for the CPU
if it had a clock unlocked chip. It won't in BIOS 2.0. I removed the
chip and put it in my ASUS A7N8X which immediately supported it and
overclocked it. I took the clock unlocked Barton 2500 (not mobile) from
the A7N8X and put it in the 7NJL6 and was able to get it to run as a
2500 @ 166/333 MHz.

I just hope the VNF4/Ultra is more adaptable/configurable.

"" wrote:
> stanmc wrote:
> > I am about to upgrade from my current Palomino 1700+ to a
> Barton. Before
> > I pick a 2600+ not the mobile (XP-M) version, I would like
> to hear from
> > others who are using the mobile version in a 7NJL6. I am
> especially
> > interested in the 2400FQQC4 and the 2500FQQ4C. These
> processors are
> > clock unlocked according to a few reviews I have read and I
> would like
> > to use one of them if the BIOS of the 7NJL6 will run it
> above stock
> > speeds (266MHz FSB and 1.8 or 1.867 GHz respectively).
> I am now able to answer my own question. The 7NJL6 does not
> support the
> Barton XP-M chips very well. I installed the one I received
> today
> (7/13/05) from NewEgg and it was only able to get to 1200MHz
> (1.2GHz). I
> had thought that maybe the BIOS would offer the Expert mode
> for the CPU
> if it had a clock unlocked chip. It won't in BIOS 2.0. I
> removed the
> chip and put it in my ASUS A7N8X which immediately supported
> it and
> overclocked it. I took the clock unlocked Barton 2500 (not
> mobile) from
> the A7N8X and put it in the 7NJL6 and was able to get it to
> run as a
> 2500 @ 166/333 MHz.
>
> I just hope the VNF4/Ultra is more adaptable/configurable.

i don’t think chaintech has a board/bios that actually reads the
mobile. i have a 7njs zenith. i can set my multis and have good
voltage control for the vcore and vdmm. i’ve had it running 11.5x220
with a 2600-m and corsair 6-2-2-2 ram.

you should be able to run the cpu:ram at 200fsb if you set the timing
to spd.

you should like the vnf4. people have had good overclocks with the
3000 venice core at a nice price. it’s hard to predict what the next
oc’r cpu is going to be a month from now.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=298369