Problem with Chaintech 7NJL6 - startsup and then dies

Parm

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Hi,

I just purchased the Chaintech 7NJL6 for my AMD Duron 1.8 GHz CPU. I
connected everything and started the system. It starts for a few
seconds and then dies. The power LED on the front panel starts to
blink. I disconnected all the components and placed the board on non
conductive base and powered it up, still the same problem. Any
suggestions or comments. HELP!!!!

Thanks.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Problem-7NJL6-startsup-dies-ftopict58352.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294961

"parm" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just purchased the Chaintech 7NJL6 for my AMD Duron 1.8 GHz
> CPU. I connected everything and started the system. It starts
> for a few seconds and then dies. The power LED on the front
> panel starts to blink. I disconnected all the components and
> placed the board on non conductive base and powered it up,
> still the same problem. Any suggestions or comments. HELP!!!!
>
> Thanks.

check your heatsink and make sure it’s not sitting on the lip of the
cpu mount. did you use a thermal pad or thermal grease? is the cpu fan
plugged into the correct fan header and is it a 3 wire fan?

did you clear the cmos/bios jumper?

ud

"uddarts" wrote:
> check your heatsink and make sure it's not sitting on the lip
> of the cpu mount. did you use a thermal pad or thermal grease?
> is the cpu fan plugged into the correct fan header and is it a
> 3 wire fan?
>
> did you clear the cmos/bios jumper?
>
> ud

UD,

I checked the fan, it seems to be sitting fine. The CPU has four
cylindrical (i assume rubber like) raised surfaces on which the fan
sits. It is a two wire fan. I did not get any thermal grease or
anything with the fan. I bought all the parts (HD, CPU, MB, Memory
etc.) from Tiger Direct. I have installed the memory and fan.
Everything else is disconnected. I did clear the CMOS. It starts and
then just dies. Maybe something is tripping it. I don’t know. I have
also sent an email to Chaintech. But no reply so far. This was
yesterday.

Thank you so much for your help. Any other thoughts or suggestions. I
am trying to get this up and running for my son. We are both very
exicited about it. But so far no luck.

"parm" wrote:
> UD,
>
> I checked the fan, it seems to be sitting fine. The CPU has
> four cylindrical (i assume rubber like) raised surfaces on
> which the fan sits. It is a two wire fan. I did not get any
> thermal grease or anything with the fan. I bought all the
> parts (HD, CPU, MB, Memory etc.) from Tiger Direct. I have
> installed the memory and fan. Everything else is disconnected.
> I did clear the CMOS. It starts and then just dies. Maybe
> something is tripping it. I don't know. I have also sent an
> email to Chaintech. But no reply so far. This was yesterday.
>
> Thank you so much for your help. Any other thoughts or
> suggestions. I am trying to get this up and running for my
> son. We are both very exicited about it. But so far no luck.
>
> Parm

stop where you are! do not move or pass go! you don’t want to burn up
your chip.

you need some sort of thermal compound between the cpu and the
heatsink base.

what heatsink do you have. can you give me a link?

some heatsinks come with a little pad on the bottom of them and has a
peel off tape that portects it from dirt during shipping.

if there isn’t one you can buy something like these listed at
tigerdirect.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=503

here is a link for instructions how to apply.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_small.htm

you may be able to find some locally.

your heat sink fan needs 3 wire. the yellow one is an rpm sensor which
the motherboard looks for. it is a safety feature in case the fan
stops.

again what heatsink and fan do you have? since it’s not 3 wire makes
me think the combo may be wrong.

"uddarts" wrote:
> stop where you are! do not move or pass go! you don't want to
> burn up your chip.
>
> you need some sort of thermal compound between the cpu and the
> heatsink base.
>
> what heatsink do you have. can you give me a link?
>
> some heatsinks come with a little pad on the bottom of them
> and has a peel off tape that portects it from dirt during
> shipping.
>
> if there isn't one you can buy something like these listed at
> tigerdirect.
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=503
>
> here is a link for instructions how to apply.
>
> http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_small.htm
>
> you may be able to find some locally.
>

> your heat sink fan needs 3 wire. the yellow one is an rpm
> sensor which the motherboard looks for. it is a safety feature
> in case the fan stops.
>
> again what heatsink and fan do you have? since it's not 3 wire
> makes me think the combo may be wrong.
>
> ud

UD,

Could the fan cause such a problem. I have posted the link for the fan
that I bought

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=412189&CatId=796

Below is the link for the motherboard that I purchased from
tigerdirect

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1043672&CatId=179

At this moment, I am just trying to narrow down the problem as to what
might be wrong. I just want the board to work with bare minimum setup.
Once this is done, then I will do the complete assembly for use. I
will order the new fan and the thermal gel today or will go and buy
one from the local store.

Thank you so much for all the help.

Regards,

"parm" wrote:
> UD,
>
> Could the fan cause such a problem. I have posted the link for
> the fan that I bought
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=412189&CatId=796
>
> Below is the link for the motherboard that I purchased from
> tigerdirect
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1043672&CatId=179
>
> At this moment, I am just trying to narrow down the problem as
> to what might be wrong. I just want the board to work with
> bare minimum setup. Once this is done, then I will do the
> complete assembly for use. I will order the new fan and the
> thermal gel today or will go and buy one from the local store.
>
> Thank you so much for all the help.
>
> Regards,
> Parm

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=925064&CatId=792

here’s one that’s in the price range of the one you bought. if you
notice it makes reference to a 3 pin connector.

* Fan Dimension: 66x60x10 mm
* Heatsink Dimension: 66x72.7x42.5 mm
* Rated Voltage: 12V
* Started Voltage: 5V
* Rated Current: 0.38A
* Power Input: 4.20W
* Max. Air Flow: 20.2 CFM
* Noise: 35 dBA
* Bearing Type: 1 Ball Bearing
* Life Expectation: 40,000 Hours
* Connector: 3 Pin
* Total Weight: 285 g
* Thermal Resistance: ca=0.58 C/W

how you managed to find one that only has 2 wires, we just chalk up to
a $5 case of bad luck.

i use a single edge razor blade to spread the thermal compound. you
don’t need a lot. more isn’t better. just smooth it out and cover the
small die in the middle of the cpu. if you should get a little on the
rest of the cpu, just clean it up with a q-tip and some alcohol.

keep intouch.

ud

ud

"parm" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just purchased the Chaintech 7NJL6 for my AMD Duron 1.8 GHz
> CPU. I connected everything and started the system. It starts
> for a few seconds and then dies. The power LED on the front
> panel starts to blink. I disconnected all the components and
> placed the board on non conductive base and powered it up,
> still the same problem. Any suggestions or comments. HELP!!!!
>
> Thanks.

talk about a tough row to hoe, huh! this has been too much like work.

glad things are finally going your way.

ud

tweaker50

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
I'm here for exact same thing. I have the same motherboard, but it worked for a few years until it started just "blanking out" like you all are describing. I was online looking for the manual for the 7NJL6. I'm using the same board on this computer! They both have the AMD Athlon, and I get 1.99 GHz. I can't figure out if it's a bad switch, because it will start back up on it's own, then shutdown again. I have a 400 amp power supply on it!? But the only demand I put on that computer is 4 extra hard drives. I have plenty of cooling using 4 fans. I did buy one 7NJL6 that I immediately returned because it wouldn't start. I liked that motherboard because, for the price, it is a decent board....when it works. Does anybody know the answer?