Pocket PC / Smartphone with WinCE 5.0

July 2, 2004 7:00:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.smartphone,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Did anyone catch details about Windows CE 5.0 and the Windows Mobile
platform? At Tech-Ed 2004 Europe, a few general things were revealed about
CE 5.0, such as the .NET Compact Framework 2.0 and Direct3D Mobile. Were
there any Pocket PC and Smartphone specific news?

Jacek is reporting that CE 5.0 would bring for example a camera API to
Smartphones:

http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2751.html

Any insight or other views on this would be interesting to read.

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/

A new version of CE always brings a lot of possibilities to what could be
consumed in a Pocket PC / Smartphone platform of the product. The key thing
to remember is that a CE release doesn't mean there will be a PPC/SP release
with that version of see...or it could take some time for Microsoft to build
the Platform around it. While CE is the basis for Pocket PC and Smartphone,
it takes quite a bit for work to make it look the way that it does and act
right, and not everything in CE can be included. Anything that is in CE is
game for the next version of Windows Mobile, but it may not all be included.

--
David Conger
MS-MVP/Mobile Devices

"Tero Lehto" <tero-news23@lehto.net> wrote in message
> Did anyone catch details about Windows CE 5.0 and the Windows Mobile
> platform? At Tech-Ed 2004 Europe, a few general things were revealed about
> CE 5.0, such as the .NET Compact Framework 2.0 and Direct3D Mobile. Were
> there any Pocket PC and Smartphone specific news?
>
> Jacek is reporting that CE 5.0 would bring for example a camera API to
> Smartphones:
>
> http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2751.html
>
> Any insight or other views on this would be interesting to read.
>
> --
> Tero Lehto
> http://lehto.net/tero/

Anonymous
July 3, 2004 12:14:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.smartphone,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

more details about MS Smartphone after second edition is here (smartphone
specific news):
http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2747.html

generally almost everything is clear - new APIs and improvements in platform
+ .NET CF 2.0 - much faster and better.

"Tero Lehto" <tero-news23@lehto.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Did anyone catch details about Windows CE 5.0 and the Windows Mobile
> platform? At Tech-Ed 2004 Europe, a few general things were revealed about
> CE 5.0, such as the .NET Compact Framework 2.0 and Direct3D Mobile. Were
> there any Pocket PC and Smartphone specific news?
>
> Jacek is reporting that CE 5.0 would bring for example a camera API to
> Smartphones:
>
> http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2751.html
>
> Any insight or other views on this would be interesting to read.
>
> --
> Tero Lehto
> http://lehto.net/tero/

July 3, 2004 6:15:02 AM

David Conger, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices wrote:
> A new version of CE always brings a lot of possibilities to what
> could be consumed in a Pocket PC / Smartphone platform of the
> product. The key thing to remember is that a CE release doesn't mean
> there will be a PPC/SP release with that version of see...or it could
> take some time for Microsoft to build the Platform around it.

I'm quite aware of this. Until now all the major CE versions seem to have
meant also new PocketPC and Smartphone versions. In the press sessions of
TechEd Europe, WinCE 5.0 was discussed together with with Windows Mobile
updates, so my strong guess is that we'll see Windows Mobile 2004 or 2005
based on the CE 5.0 core.

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.smartphone,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/getstart/prodovervie...

"Note: Windows CE 5.0 Evaluation Edition will be available on this Web site
on July 9th."

"Tero Lehto" <tero-news23@lehto.net> wrote in message
> Did anyone catch details about Windows CE 5.0 and the Windows Mobile
> platform? At Tech-Ed 2004 Europe, a few general things were revealed about
> CE 5.0, such as the .NET Compact Framework 2.0 and Direct3D Mobile. Were
> there any Pocket PC and Smartphone specific news?
>
> Jacek is reporting that CE 5.0 would bring for example a camera API to
> Smartphones:
>
> http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2751.html
>
> Any insight or other views on this would be interesting to read.
>
> --
> Tero Lehto
> http://lehto.net/tero/

Anonymous
July 3, 2004 8:28:11 PM

"Gary" <gary_mount@hotmail.com.nospam> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/getstart/prodovervie...

> "Note: Windows CE 5.0 Evaluation Edition will be available on this Web
site
> on July 9th."

windows CE 5 is only a core OS, but smartphone and pocket pc are more: a
layer of applications and APIs over this core.
and hardware manufacturers need some time to put new software to hardware.
!