Upgrade project on my Chaintech 6BTM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Hi,

currently i'm running a Pentium II 400 MHz on CT 6BTM motherboard.
I want to upgrade it to a Pentium III or Celeron w/ 800 or more MHz.

On the motherboard it reads "6BTM0-D100A".

Googling my way thru www i found a SLOT-T adapter.
http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slott/compatibility.htm

In the "compatibility Table" it mentions:

CT-6BTM0 Please note that the PWM IC must be "HIP6019BCB or
AIC1569CS". If it is "HIP6004ACB", your system can't be upgraded.

How can i find out what PWM IC my motherboard is equipped with?

Reading thru my manual i found out my mb supports voltage range from
1.8 ~ 3.5 V.
Most of the cpus im interested in have < 1.8V. Does the SLOT-T
afdapter downsample the 1.8V to whatever value is needed for the
specific cpu, e.g. 1.65V ?

Hoping for helpful replies.

Greetings
krauty77

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Good mornin,

i just received some information of Upgradeware, producer of SLOT-T
adapters.

Thank you for the PWM IC number. AIC1569CS (1.3V~3.5V) could support
the lower voltages that a Tualatin needs.

Here are the general upgrade tips:

1) Pleaes update to the latest BIOS for your motherboard before
CPU upgrade. (http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/Download/)

2) Suggest to clear CMOS because the previous settings might not
be suitable for a Tualatin processor

3) The Celeron Tualatin 1.0GHz/1.1GHz/1.2GHz/1.3GHz/1.4GHz
(0.13micron, FC-PGA2, FSB 100MHz, L2 cache 256K) are your upgrade
choice.

Sounds good to me.
I'm curious about how much heat a Celeron 1300 produces compared to my
ol' PII 400. For me its important to have a silent server. I don't
want to run loads of fans to cool my system down. My PII 400 runs @
35° C.

Is there a huge difference in terms of heat dissipation between a P2
400 and Celeron 1300. And how does the Celeron perform in that
compartment compared to newer CPUs e.g. Athlon 64 and P4?

I mean my upgrade will cost me about 130,- €. I could easy buy a new
mobo + CPU + RAM below 300 €. Its all about the heat dissipation :).
Maybe i'm on a false track here. Please correct me if im wrong.

Hope for some helpful advice.

Greetings
GermanKraut77