5.1 sound out of 7NJL6

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

I know the board supports it, but it only has the regular
audio out jack. How can I get 5.1 out of the board onto
say an external powered amp?

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

    Since no one else wishes to touch this. First I would contact
    Chaintech support and try to get every bit of info possible from
    them. Unfortunately most often tech support may not have much
    knowledge of what the engineers had in mind. Then try to locate the
    Cmedia site, in taiwan I think. There you can locate a pdf file on
    the capabilities of the chipset and different drivers. I tried one on
    SE, but couldn't get it to work at all. Your luck may be better.
    Although the original design capabilities of the chip exceed what is
    shown in the user's guide, you may or may not be able to get all of
    it working. Chaintech may not have hooked up all the pins, but then
    again it might just be a simple editing of part of the install such
    as the inf file. Examples of this type of use involve other audio
    cards I've used and Creative is a good example. Some of their older
    cards were sold under various names even though they used the same
    exact chipset. Unfortunately many of their drivers were buggy to say
    the least, for enough people that they altered the drivers. But not
    for the good. Their typical practice seemed to be to turn off
    features completely that didn't work well for everyone. And if Bill
    released a new OS, the drivers were dumbed down even further to the
    point it had basic audio, probably in hopes of selling you their
    latest product. Much of the market was killed when they bought up
    aureal and the EAX technologies. Fortunately, Aureal must have left a
    loop-hole in the buy-out and maybe release publicly what code they
    were using to that point. Result was a group that took it upon
    themselves to continue to update drivers for those older cards, at
    least up to the time of XP. These were the people responsible for A3D
    ver3. and until Creative came out with their latest batch of Audigy,
    is it?, those old cards were very desireable, cheap, and claimed to
    compare to anything unless you went with a card costing $4-500. Also
    the EAX, extended audio functions?, Creative appears to have decided
    to release to other companies. Most likely because of another company
    with its development of HTRF?, Company is Sensaura I think. This would
    have totally killed Creatives cornering of the market. Game developers
    were starting to write to that standard along with the A3D, EAX2,
    & DSound. Some were even dropping the EAX2 because most card
    builders weren't willing to pay the god Creative. But to further
    complicate, if you should desire more than what is available on the
    MOBO with this Cmedia implementation and decide to go shopping, there
    was something in development known as ASIO. An audio/sound IO. I only
    touched the surface of that and have no idea how it plays into the
    entire field, but it was supposed to simplify and eradicate much of
    the troubles being encountered with high quality sound and external
    hook-ups. Creative may have even added some of this functionality to
    one of their lastest cards.

    So what type of hook-up do you have available to this external amp?
    This is from the documents at cmedia.
    z S/PDIF I/O function:
    Output: 96 / 48 kHz with 24 / 20 / 16 bits
    Input: 48 / 44.1 / 32 kHz with 20 / 16 bits
    S/PDIF In is featured with interrupt, auto-lock, anti-noise, and
    anti-distortion functionalities support.
    When you download this document, you might be interested in the color
    block diagram, with the three options. All could be implemented, but
    it appears none are fully available with this MOBO.

    If you should try hooking the line out to your amplifier, beware this
    usually results in ground loop current and a hum. This can be
    overcome with an isolation transformer which I have seen at
    Circuitcity recently, WallyWorld, and RadiosHut had them awhile back.
    I can not speak to the quality of audio obtained with their products,
    especially since they are designed for auto's where you don't expect
    top quality sound to start with. They are probably available
    elsewhere, but I would try to get the specs as to how wide a band
    they pass and if it is relatively flat across the spectrum.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > I know the board supports it, but it only has the regular
    > audio out jack. How can I get 5.1 out of the board onto
    > say an external powered amp?
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla
    > Cary, NC USA
    > (Remove XSPAM)

    you could contact chaintech to purchase a media addon that would
    enable the digital capabilities of the board or just go window
    shopping for a sound card that has a compatable digital out, ie. coax
    or optical that matches your receiver. something around $25 would do
    it.

    i see chaintech shows this

    http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=16&PISNo=68

    whether that would be it is anyone’s guess.

    ud

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-sound-7NJL6-ftopict59369.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=307030
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Thanks. I've contacted chaintech and this is what they
    told me to get. I have both coax and fiber S/PDIF inputs
    to my amp.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

    "uddarts" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "" wrote:
    > > I know the board supports it, but it only has the regular
    > > audio out jack. How can I get 5.1 out of the board onto
    > > say an external powered amp?
    > >
    > > --
    > > - Zilla
    > > Cary, NC USA
    > > (Remove XSPAM)
    >
    > you could contact chaintech to purchase a media addon that would
    > enable the digital capabilities of the board or just go window
    > shopping for a sound card that has a compatable digital out, ie. coax
    > or optical that matches your receiver. something around $25 would do
    > it.
    >
    > i see chaintech shows this
    >
    > http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=16&PISNo=68
    >
    > whether that would be it is anyone's guess.
    >
    > ud

    request
    > Topic URL:
    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-sound-7NJL6-ftopict59369.html
    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=307030
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "nthums1" <nthums1@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > If you should try hooking the line out to your amplifier, beware this
    > usually results in ground loop current and a hum.

    (snip)

    I plan to use optical to solve that problem

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

    whether you use optical or coax for the spdif, it should not produce
    the hum problem. This occurs when you are doing analog, so as long as
    you are pushing and decoding digital, all should work.
    I did do a direct analog hookup for awhile, and only at quiet spots
    with medium volume did I detect the hum.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    > Zillawrote:
    Thanks. I've contacted chaintech and this is what they
    > told me to get. I have both coax and fiber S/PDIF inputs
    > to my amp.
    >
    > What did they tell you to get? Are you referring to the bracket
    product?
    > There seemed to be no data for it. Two jacks it looks like, but is
    that an in and out for spdif? Is it optical or coax, or is it one of
    each for input or just output?
    > And also, Cmedia says there is an option which presumably would have
    two jacks like the picture, which create a dedicated rear &
    LFE/center. This leaves the jacks already present available for their
    alternate function in a dedicated manner.
    > Note: Cmedia's block diagram of the spdif device may have a chip on
    it to work with the spdif in & out jacks.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    s/pdif is "not" analog, as the name implies. optical
    provides an inherent isolation because of the ECL
    transformer.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

    > whether you use optical or coax for the spdif, it should not produce
    > the hum problem. This occurs when you are doing analog, so as long as
    > you are pushing and decoding digital, all should work.
    > I did do a direct analog hookup for awhile, and only at quiet spots
    > with medium volume did I detect the hum.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Thanks Zilla, but I'm still curious what the second jack on the addon
    is for.
    Although Cmedia seems to support an input for spdif, I'm curious if
    ctech supported it. And to what level, is it duplex?
    Or is the second jack for coax, non-fibre, and output only.
    I would like to hear back what your results were.
    Under which OS and if the Ctech drivers worked or did you need the
    drivers from Cmedia?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    You're way ahead of me. I still don't have the spdif option since
    my e-mail to Ctech bounced (services@chaintech.com). Anyone
    knows the customer service e-mail?

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

    > Thanks Zilla, but I'm still curious what the second jack on the addon
    > is for.
    > Although Cmedia seems to support an input for spdif, I'm curious if
    > ctech supported it. And to what level, is it duplex?
    > Or is the second jack for coax, non-fibre, and output only.
    > I would like to hear back what your results were.
    > Under which OS and if the Ctech drivers worked or did you need the
    > drivers from Cmedia?

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Sales E-MAIL:sales@chaintechusa.com
    TECH E-MAIL:support@chaintechusa.com

    ud

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-sound-7NJL6-ftopict59369.html