7NJL6 - which OS?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Although I've had quirks, probably mostly Mr.Bill, I had what seemed a
pretty darned good system, except not getting USB2 to function at high
speed. This was under SE. Alas it went south before I got a recovery
setup and my main partition got really scrambled. Reason
undetermined.
I set up a new drive with ME and again most of my troubles seem
attributable to you know who. And again USB2 lacking its appropriate
speed.
Has anyone had success with 98SE or ME? Was it a clean install or MOBO
change (which mine was).
I contacted Chaintech concerning USB2 and was told to reset the CMOS,
start up in BIOS and choose optimal defaults.
I hadn't installed a floppy and that was the first thing it looked for
and locked. Restart and it installed a second grouping for the IDE
controller.
I went to safe mode and removed most of the stuff, all system, IDE,
& USB. Upon reboot in went to reinstalling and now I have a lot
of stuff installed twice. viewing devices by connection, some are
directly off the computer and other off the acpi bios. And still two
IDE controllers.
Can anyone tell me what a properly installed device manager screen
should look like?

"" wrote:
> Although I've had quirks, probably mostly Mr.Bill, I had what
> seemed a
> pretty darned good system, except not getting USB2 to
> function at high
> speed. This was under SE. Alas it went south
> before I got a recovery
> setup and my main partition got really
> scrambled. Reason
> undetermined.
> I set up a new drive with ME
> and again most of my troubles seem
> attributable to you know
> who. And again USB2 lacking its appropriate
> speed.
> Has anyone
> had success with 98SE or ME? Was it a clean install or
> MOBO
> change (which mine was).
> I contacted Chaintech concerning
> USB2 and was told to reset the CMOS,
> start up in BIOS and
> choose optimal defaults.
> I hadn't installed a floppy and that
> was the first thing it looked for
> and locked. Restart and it
> installed a second grouping for the IDE
> controller.
> I went to
> safe mode and removed most of the stuff, all system, IDE,
> &
> USB. Upon reboot in went to reinstalling and now I have a
> lot
> of stuff installed twice. viewing devices by connection,
> some are
> directly off the computer and other off the acpi
> bios. And still two
> IDE controllers.
> Can anyone tell me what a
> properly installed device manager screen
> should look like?

what usb hardware are you using. i have a dual boot 98se and 2k on a
7njs which has the same chipset. i attached a wd 120 external
usb/firewire to it and transfered 4 gig of mp3 files/folders. the 2k
os was running about 5 min either direction. the 98se ran 6 min from
the usb drive but fell flat on it’s face from the internal sata drive
doing the transfer in about 6 min.

i did a sandra 2004 file test both 98se and 2k showed 19meg transfer
rate.

no answer but should give something to compare.

ud

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-7NJL6-OS-ftopict60806.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=307175

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Not the same chipset if you check closely.
running Iomega HDD.