Accidently deleted boot.ini.file

September 26, 2004 10:05:09 PM

Hi i unstalled a anti virus program from my computer, then
i went to restart my computer it said that i didnt have
c:\boot.ini.file
The problem is that i dont have my xp cd so i cant get it
from there!!!
So how can i get this file back??
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 12:56:40 AM

"Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you start your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184&Product=winxp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Neo" wrote:

| Hi i unstalled a anti virus program from my computer, then
| i went to restart my computer it said that i didnt have
| c:\boot.ini.file
| The problem is that i dont have my xp cd so i cant get it
| from there!!!
| So how can i get this file back??
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 12:59:47 AM

BOOT.INI does not come from the XP CDROM. Rather, it is created when XP is
installed. In theory it is "customized" to your installation of XP, but in
practice most PCs have the same BOOT.INI file. The good news is that
BOOT.INI is a small text file that can be created/modified in any editor.

But, first, look for an older/backup copy that might be lying around the
hard drive. It is probably called BOOT.BAK or similar. Rename it BOOT.INI
and be sure that it is in the root of the C:\ drive, even if XP is not on
that partition.

If you can not find a older/backup copy, try taking one from another machine
running the same verison of XP. Adjust the path to point to your
installation of XP. As an example, here is my BOOT.INI, where XP is
installed on C:\. Note that disk(0)partition(1) is C:\.

[boot loader]

timeout =15

default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect

Other key files that must also be present on C:\ are NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM.

As for how to see/change files on the hard drive without XP running, the
best way would be to run the XP recovery console. For that you need an XP
CDROM, any XP CDROM. Or, you can download the multiple-floppy disk set of
files that is similar from Microsoft. See the following link:

If the disk is FAT32, you could also use a DOS boot floppy, such as from
win98 or ME. Those are available at www.bootdisk.com. Be sure to get a
copy of EDIT.COM, a simple DOS text editior, in case you need it.

"Neo" <cotutaha@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi i unstalled a anti virus program from my computer, then
> i went to restart my computer it said that i didnt have
> c:\boot.ini.file
> The problem is that i dont have my xp cd so i cant get it
> from there!!!
> So how can i get this file back??
September 27, 2004 9:16:05 AM

More specifically, IIRC, disk(0) refers to the primary
IDE port; disk(1) would be the secondary port
and rdisk(0) refers to the master position on the cable
while rdisk(1) would be the slave position

Why those are 0-based and the partition is 1-based, I
have no idea.

>[boot loader]
>
>timeout =15
>
>default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>
>[operating systems]
>
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft
Windows XP Home
>Edition" /fastdetect
>

>Other key files that must also be present on C:\ are
NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM.

>As for how to see/change files on the hard drive without
XP running, the
>best way would be to run the XP recovery console. For
that you need an XP
>CDROM, any XP CDROM. Or, you can download the multiple-
floppy disk set of
>files that is similar from Microsoft. See the following
link:
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310994
>
>If the disk is FAT32, you could also use a DOS boot
floppy, such as from
>win98 or ME. Those are available at www.bootdisk.com.
Be sure to get a
>copy of EDIT.COM, a simple DOS text editior, in case you
need it.

>"Neo" <cotutaha@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi i unstalled a anti virus program from my computer,
then
>> i went to restart my computer it said that i didnt have
>> c:\boot.ini.file
>> The problem is that i dont have my xp cd so i cant get
it
>> from there!!!
>> So how can i get this file back??
>

>.

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 2:41:01 AM

"Michael Pardee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

The 80-core IDE ribbon cable does NOT have a "master"
or a "slave" position. Either plug can be used for a master
or a slave disk. The distinction is made on the hard disk
itself, by setting certain jumpers.
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 2:41:02 AM

For the first time, the 80-conductor cable defines specific roles for each
of the connectors on the cable; the older cable did not. Color coding of the
connectors is used to make it easier to determine which connector goes with
each device:
Blue: The blue connector attaches to the host (motherboard or controller).
Gray: The gray connector is in the middle of the cable, and goes to any
slave (device 1) drive if present on the channel.
Black: The black connector is at the opposite end from the host connector
and goes to the master drive (device 0), or a single drive if only one is
used.
There are a couple of reasons why this coding was done. The main one: it is
not a good idea to connect a single drive to the middle connector on a
ribbon cable, because the "stub" of left-over, unconnected cable causes
signaling problems. With Ultra DMA this "stub" connection is not just "not
recommended", it is illegal: a single device must be at the end of the
cable. The other reason is that since these cables support cable select
inherently, the position of each drive on the cable matters if cable select
is being used. With these two needs combined, it just made sense to design
the cable so that drive positioning was explicitly clear.
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 2:41:02 AM

Minor correction to the posting Pegasus

Drive Position: Unlike the old cables, with the 80-conductor cable, the
master connector is at the end of the cable, and the slave is in the
middle. As I explained above, this is a much more sensible arrangement,
since a single drive placed at the end of the cable will be a master,
and a second drive added in the middle a slave.

quoted from
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

> "Michael Pardee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

September 28, 2004 12:03:09 PM

Michael in his reply failed to mention it, and you only touch
it in passing: Master/slave positions on the 80-core cable are
only relevant in ***cable select*** mode. According to the
link below, "cable select was never accepted in the industry".
The vast majority of installations do not use "cable select",
hence the connectors on the cable have no bias.

"Jetro" <ik9480@spam.rogers.com> wrote in message
news:o 01e5iKpEHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> For the first time, the 80-conductor cable defines specific roles for each
> of the connectors on the cable; the older cable did not. Color coding of
the
> connectors is used to make it easier to determine which connector goes
with
> each device:
> Blue: The blue connector attaches to the host (motherboard or controller).
> Gray: The gray connector is in the middle of the cable, and goes to any
> slave (device 1) drive if present on the channel.
> Black: The black connector is at the opposite end from the host connector
> and goes to the master drive (device 0), or a single drive if only one is
> used.
> There are a couple of reasons why this coding was done. The main one: it
is
> not a good idea to connect a single drive to the middle connector on a
> ribbon cable, because the "stub" of left-over, unconnected cable causes
> signaling problems. With Ultra DMA this "stub" connection is not just "not
> recommended", it is illegal: a single device must be at the end of the
> cable. The other reason is that since these cables support cable select
> inherently, the position of each drive on the cable matters if cable
select
> is being used. With these two needs combined, it just made sense to design
> the cable so that drive positioning was explicitly clear.

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 12:03:10 PM

Master disk must be connected to the end of 80-wire cable. Regarding 40-wire
cable, using the middle connector and leaving the end connector unattached
is technically allowed but not recommended.
February 23, 2013 3:39:55 AM

Have you lost your important booth files from Mac operating system? If yes then don't worry you can overcome from data loss situation by using Mac Photo Recovery Software which is capable to restore all the deleted files easily. You does not need to be technical to use its scanning process. It will also gives you step-by-step instruction during scanning process. So download the software without making any delay.

Read More Information:-

http://www.photorecovery-mac.com/recover-deleted-booth-...
!