USB 2.0 detected as 1.1 because of SP2

Mike

Splendid

Asus P5AD2 Premium motherboard.
When I had SP1, everything worked fine. Once SP2 was
installed, all 8 USB 2.0 ports became recognized as 1.1
(no "enhanced"). I tried using a USB 2.0 device, and sure
enough, it worked at 1.1 speeds...which gets very
irritating when you copy files that are 1GB+. Any help
would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance,
- Mike

If the USB ports are on the motherboard go to Asus and see if there are
updated drivers for SP2 or reload the drivers from the disk that came with
the motherboard.

If USB's are on a pci card do the same thing above just change the
manufacturers name.

Good luck, r.

"Mike" <Mikecool90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Asus P5AD2 Premium motherboard.
> When I had SP1, everything worked fine. Once SP2 was
> installed, all 8 USB 2.0 ports became recognized as 1.1
> (no "enhanced"). I tried using a USB 2.0 device, and sure
> enough, it worked at 1.1 speeds...which gets very
> irritating when you copy files that are 1GB+. Any help
> would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance,
> - Mike

Mike

Splendid

There were, are, and will be no drivers on any
manufacturer sites for USB 2 that can be used with
Windows XP, because the drivers are included in SP1.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't SP2 just break what
SP1 fixed, at least as far as USB 2.0 drivers go?

Go to your Device Manager and remove your USB ports listed under USB
controllers and then restart.They will reload at startup.

--
Good Day
River_Rat

"Mike" <Mikecool90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Asus P5AD2 Premium motherboard.
When I had SP1, everything worked fine. Once SP2 was
installed, all 8 USB 2.0 ports became recognized as 1.1
(no "enhanced"). I tried using a USB 2.0 device, and sure
enough, it worked at 1.1 speeds...which gets very
irritating when you copy files that are 1GB+. Any help
would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance,
- Mike

Mike

Splendid

It reloads the 1.1 drivers.

"Chipset Drivers" to be more precise.

For the second part likely wrong but everyone has there own opinion. My USB
ports are okay (enhanced) on SP2.

> There were, are, and will be no drivers on any
> manufacturer sites for USB 2 that can be used with
> Windows XP, because the drivers are included in SP1.
> Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't SP2 just break what
> SP1 fixed, at least as far as USB 2.0 drivers go?

Does it say in one of the ports under USB Controller in the Device Manager,
Enhanced USB if so then it has the 2.0 drivers loaded.

Everything that was in SP1 is also in SP2 and a lot more.

--
Good Day
River_Rat

"Mike" <Mikecool90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
It reloads the 1.1 drivers.
> [...]

Mike

Splendid

Quote from earlier:
"Once SP2 was installed, all 8 USB 2.0 ports became
recognized as 1.1(no "enhanced")."

Mike

Splendid

I guess i'm just unlucky. I already tried looking for an
Intel ICH6R southbridge driver...Nothing.

Have you tried loading/reloading the chipset drivers. If you are using an
Intel processor you can download the latest driver from Intel, don't know
about AMD.

> Quote from earlier:
> "Once SP2 was installed, all 8 USB 2.0 ports became
> recognized as 1.1(no "enhanced")."

Mike

Splendid

Tried that one several times. The chipset driver is fine.
As I mentioned, it worked when I was using SP1. I just
need to get a copy of some USB driver that works with SP2.

Len

You're "everything is fine" type statements are not doing you any good at
this point! Just humor the other poster, go to Intel's site (or your MB
Mfg's) and download/install the latest chipset drivers. After you have
downloaded/installed remove all of your USB controllers/Hubs from Device
Manager and restart. Takes about 8 ~ 10 minutes tops!

You might also double check your system CMOS to see if Enhanced/High Speed
USB is enabled. Yes I know - everything is fine because it worked before -
check anyway. Takes about ~2 minutes.

FWIW,
Len

> Tried that one several times. The chipset driver is fine.
> As I mentioned, it worked when I was using SP1. I just
> need to get a copy of some USB driver that works with SP2.

The USB2 drivers included in SP2 work without problems for me. As another
suggestion have you checked the bios? USB2 is specifically enabled in the
bios for my board (gigabyte).

"Mike" <Mikecool90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Tried that one several times. The chipset driver is fine.
> As I mentioned, it worked when I was using SP1. I just
> need to get a copy of some USB driver that works with SP2.

Oh, really?!!! Well, I've uninstalled and reinstalled my USB2.0 card so many
times and I DO have the entry that says VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced controller under
Universal Serial Bus Controllers in my device manager - but every time I plug
in my USB external hard drive, it still keeps saying that I have plugged a
HIGH-SPEED device into a NON HIGH-SPEED port. I have even followed
Microsoft's advice and clicked update driver > automatically install .....
but the ports are STILL only working as USB1.1 ports!

I have contacted the card manufacturer (Q-Tec) and followed all their advice
to the letter - except that the installation disk didn't autoplay, which
meant I had to try and choose which setup/driver to run! But whatever I do, I
just cannot seem to get the blessed card working as a USB 2.0 card!

I am now starting to get very frustrated by this and am at my wits end to
know what to try next. So if anyone can offer any further advice, I'd be
extremely grateful.

"River_Rat" wrote:

> Does it say in one of the ports under USB Controller in the Device Manager,
> Enhanced USB if so then it has the 2.0 drivers loaded.
>
> Everything that was in SP1 is also in SP2 and a lot more.
>
> --
> Good Day
> River_Rat
>

> "Mike" <Mikecool90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It reloads the 1.1 drivers.

Only the ports on the Q-Tec card are USB 2.0, or a port that
is connect to the Q-Tec card. If your front panel ports are
connected to the mobo, the hardware is and always will be
USB 1.1. If this is the case, connect the wires from the
front panel to the Q-Tec card or get a USB 2.0 hub, plug it
in the back and set it up front.

"Essexbiker" <Essexbiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| Oh, really?!!! Well, I've uninstalled and reinstalled my
USB2.0 card so many
| times and I DO have the entry that says VIA USB 2.0
Enhanced controller under
| Universal Serial Bus Controllers in my device manager -
but every time I plug
| in my USB external hard drive, it still keeps saying that
I have plugged a
| HIGH-SPEED device into a NON HIGH-SPEED port. I have even
followed
| Microsoft's advice and clicked update driver >
automatically install .....
| but the ports are STILL only working as USB1.1 ports!
|
| I have contacted the card manufacturer (Q-Tec) and
followed all their advice
| to the letter - except that the installation disk didn't
autoplay, which
| meant I had to try and choose which setup/driver to run!
But whatever I do, I
| just cannot seem to get the blessed card working as a USB
2.0 card!

| I am now starting to get very frustrated by this and am at
my wits end to
| know what to try next. So if anyone can offer any further
advice, I'd be
| extremely grateful.
|
| "River_Rat" wrote:
|
| > Does it say in one of the ports under USB Controller in
the Device Manager,
| > Enhanced USB if so then it has the 2.0 drivers loaded.
| >
| > Everything that was in SP1 is also in SP2 and a lot
more.

| > --
| > Good Day
| > River_Rat
| >

| > "Mike" <Mikecool90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > It reloads the 1.1 drivers.

Mike, I feel for you. Microsoft completely screwed the pooch on this. I
have the same problem where device manager says Enhanced USB device but any
USB2.0 device I plug in is "unrecognized". I can't use my scanner or my USB
flash drives. If you search the internet, lots of people are having the same
problem. Mine worked fine with SP1, and I can't go back because I had some
network problems that were fixed by going to SP2. I'm pissed that I can't
use my scanner and USB drives. I tried loading the SP1 USB drivers and that
didn't work either.

Anybody have ideas - other than reinstall the USB drivers or the chipset
drivers?

Open device manager and delete ALL the USB devices and the
ports and hubs, too. Disconnect the devices and reboot. You
should get a clean install of the USB drivers and then
reinstall each device, one at a time.

"utmba95" <utmba95@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| Mike, I feel for you. Microsoft completely screwed the
pooch on this. I
| have the same problem where device manager says Enhanced
USB device but any
| USB2.0 device I plug in is "unrecognized". I can't use my
scanner or my USB
| flash drives. If you search the internet, lots of people
are having the same
| problem. Mine worked fine with SP1, and I can't go back
because I had some
| network problems that were fixed by going to SP2. I'm
pissed that I can't
| use my scanner and USB drives. I tried loading the SP1
USB drivers and that
| didn't work either.
|
| Anybody have ideas - other than reinstall the USB drivers
or the chipset
| drivers?

Thanks for the try, but I've already tried that 5 times. That's why I said
"Anybody have ideas - other than reinstall the USB drivers or the chipset
drivers?"

I finally gave up on USB2.0 and set my BIOS to USB1.1. Now I can at least
use my peripherals, albeit slowly. It's better than nothing.

If you google USB + "service pack 2" you'll see tons of people are having
this problem, and deleting the USB devices and reinstalling the drivers does
not work for everybody. Hopefully Microsoft is working on a fix.

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> Open device manager and delete ALL the USB devices and the
> ports and hubs, too. Disconnect the devices and reboot. You
> should get a clean install of the USB drivers and then
> reinstall each device, one at a time.

> "utmba95" <utmba95@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> | Mike, I feel for you. Microsoft completely screwed the
> pooch on this. I
> | have the same problem where device manager says Enhanced
> USB device but any
> | USB2.0 device I plug in is "unrecognized". I can't use my
> scanner or my USB
> | flash drives. If you search the internet, lots of people
> are having the same
> | problem. Mine worked fine with SP1, and I can't go back
> because I had some
> | network problems that were fixed by going to SP2. I'm
> pissed that I can't
> | use my scanner and USB drives. I tried loading the SP1
> USB drivers and that
> | didn't work either.
> |
> | Anybody have ideas - other than reinstall the USB drivers
> or the chipset
> | drivers?

Do you know whether you have Intel or Via chipset in your
USB?

| Thanks for the try, but I've already tried that 5 times.
That's why I said
| "Anybody have ideas - other than reinstall the USB drivers
or the chipset
| drivers?"
|
| I finally gave up on USB2.0 and set my BIOS to USB1.1.
Now I can at least
| use my peripherals, albeit slowly. It's better than
nothing.

| If you google USB + "service pack 2" you'll see tons of
people are having
| this problem, and deleting the USB devices and
reinstalling the drivers does
| not work for everybody. Hopefully Microsoft is working on
a fix.

| "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| > Open device manager and delete ALL the USB devices and
the
| > ports and hubs, too. Disconnect the devices and reboot.
You
| > should get a clean install of the USB drivers and then
| > reinstall each device, one at a time.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "utmba95" <utmba95@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
| > message

| > | Mike, I feel for you. Microsoft completely screwed
the
| > pooch on this. I
| > | have the same problem where device manager says
Enhanced
| > USB device but any
| > | USB2.0 device I plug in is "unrecognized". I can't
use my
| > scanner or my USB
| > | flash drives. If you search the internet, lots of
people
| > are having the same
| > | problem. Mine worked fine with SP1, and I can't go
back
| > because I had some
| > | network problems that were fixed by going to SP2. I'm
| > pissed that I can't
| > | use my scanner and USB drives. I tried loading the
SP1
| > USB drivers and that
| > | didn't work either.
| > |