7njl6 Front Panel Connections

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2005 11:33:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Hey guys/gals,
Here's my question - The manual for the chaintech 7njl6 displays
pos/neg connections for a couple of items but not for everything. So
i assumed that everything else would just be plugged in with the posi
side towards pin 1(the g-btn). I've checked on Chaintech's site,
Google'd the heck out of chaintech, 7njl6, and haven't come up with a
detailed FPC for this board. I know the LED's are correct since they
light up, but what about the other connections? When I start the box
up i get no beeps, no post, no video, yet i do get HDD LED, Power
LED.

System:
AMD Athlon xp 3000+ Barton
Chaintech 7NJL6 Mobo
Ultra 512mb PC3200 DDR x 2 (origininally had one stick in slot 3 as
per manual, switched sticks to slot 1&2)
Chaintech GeForce FX 5200 256MB Card (doesnt need external power)
Sound: currently just onboard
Ultra 500w PSU with modular connections

Thanks for any tips/flames/rips/assistance.
September 4, 2005 3:02:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Wow, that's EXACTLY the same specs as mine, except
the PSU, mine is 400W! :)  The memory in "slots 1 & 3"
is for dual channel. I'll see my connections. What case
do you have? Ultra? I got the case, PSU, and m/b from
TigerDirect for $60 after rebates.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

"masawo" <lovekungfu@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hey guys/gals,
> Here's my question - The manual for the chaintech 7njl6 displays
> pos/neg connections for a couple of items but not for everything. So
> i assumed that everything else would just be plugged in with the posi
> side towards pin 1(the g-btn). I've checked on Chaintech's site,
> Google'd the heck out of chaintech, 7njl6, and haven't come up with a
> detailed FPC for this board. I know the LED's are correct since they
> light up, but what about the other connections? When I start the box
> up i get no beeps, no post, no video, yet i do get HDD LED, Power
> LED.
>
> System:
> AMD Athlon xp 3000+ Barton
> Chaintech 7NJL6 Mobo
> Ultra 512mb PC3200 DDR x 2 (origininally had one stick in slot 3 as
> per manual, switched sticks to slot 1&2)
> Chaintech GeForce FX 5200 256MB Card (doesnt need external power)
> Sound: currently just onboard
> Ultra 500w PSU with modular connections
>
> Thanks for any tips/flames/rips/assistance.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2005 10:33:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

I have the Ultra UV Wizard Black Mid ATX Case UV Blue Side , also from
Tigerdirect :)  . I purchased their barebones kit that came with
case, mobo, cpu and a stick of 512 and just added the other
components that i wanted. Not too happy with tiger right now cause
it took almost 2wks to get my stuff when their site said 48hr delay,
then 5-7day delay, then changed to everything is on back order, but
wait its really not...etc... was like pulling teeth just to get my
stuff, but oh well...thanks for the reply and the help.

:D
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2005 6:43:33 PM

"" wrote:
> I have the Ultra UV Wizard Black Mid ATX Case UV Blue Side ,
> also from
> Tigerdirect :)  . I purchased their barebones kit
> that came with
> case, mobo, cpu and a stick of 512 and just
> added the other
> components that i wanted. Not too happy with
> tiger right now cause
> it took almost 2wks to get my stuff when
> their site said 48hr delay,
> then 5-7day delay, then changed to
> everything is on back order, but
> wait its really not...etc...
> was like pulling teeth just to get my
> stuff, but oh
> well...thanks for the reply and the help.
>
> :D

you did clear the cmos/bios?

try posting with just the vid card, 1 stick of memory and the
cpu/hs/fan. disconnect your drives and the case fans.

yeah, tiger direct fooled around on my last order too. then it road
around in the ups truck for 4 days plus the weekend. can’t win
sometimes.

ud

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-7njl6-Front-Pan...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=310650
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2005 11:33:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Here's an update:

Finally got it to POST completely accidentally. Reset the jumper for
the Green Button/standby switch and it posted. Go figure :shock: .
After it posted and repaired the install of XP to recognize new
hardware from a reused HDD still running ok. However there are some
POST codes being displayed. Will have to look those up and see what
they are, but for now it runs. Also, its only showing the Athlon
3000+ as a 1.2Ghz CPU, i believe. Need to look into that as well.
One thing at a time i guess. Keep any tips/hints coming I like
having a 2nd opinion.
September 6, 2005 5:35:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

You will have to go into your BIOS to adjust the clock speed.

Refer to your manual, Page 15 to verify the JP3 jumper setting. You
want the higher setting.

In the BIOS, the FSB speed is pre-set to a conservative "Optimal"
setting. This is the reason your CPU is running slow--the BIOS
default setting "underclocks" your system. Refer to your manual, Page
30 to change your FSB's clock speed. Start with "Aggressive" and make
sure your system remains stable. Then, you can bump it up to "Turbo"
or "Expert" if you want. These settings give you more control over
your system (RAM CAS latency, etc) but you better know what you are
doing before going too far!

This entire section (starting on page 23) walks you through
controlling the speed of your various components -- memory, CPU, and
AGP video.

If these POST codes (such as 75) are showing up briefly in the upper
right corner on bootup, and going away by themselves, just ignore
them since this is normal.

HTH!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2005 3:33:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

A couple of points. The LED's may light when hooked up backwards and
stay lit even though they should go out. This might cause trouble.
Double check with AMD site as to what the specs for your CPU are by
part number. This should give you the correct bus speed and
multiplier. If JP3 is properly jumpered, optimized defaults in the
BIOS should give you the proper speeds. Chaintech told me to reset
the BIOS, boot up into the BIOS and load optimized defaults. Some of
the settings don't seem right since I don't have need of all hardware
or even a floppy. I installed the operating system, and then went back
adjusting BIOS items one at a time.
Running ME.
All seems reasonably stable, except software issues. ATI seems to have
issues related to the latest versions of Winamp. Something about their
multimedia center software and Winamp maybe fighting over who has
control of file extensions. Seems a lot like the contest of IE vs
Netscape and several other fights that should have never originated.
BTW, in the recent past Jason must have sold his baby to AOHell. And
it has been buggy and troublesome eversince. Thinking I will change
to foobar2000, which I'm testing right now. It too is having trouble
if ATI MMC bar is running, but at least it doesn't blue screen to
death and force cold boot.
Also beware there seems some odd stuff relating to USB and these
cases.
I've noted that one pin isn't used that is shown in the usb spec and
on the mobo manual. It is supposed to be used for some signaling,
maybe overcurrent? Also it would be using the shielding of the case
cable. So besides signalling with dc for overcurrent, it should also
be acting as an ac ground, noise. And I had ran across where some of
these cases were having shorts in the front panel jack to ground.
Some idiot/half engineer may have solved that issue by removing the
pin at the mobo end.

hope this helps, some.
September 7, 2005 12:34:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Good to hear. Like someone mentioned, set your clock
speed to 200MHz to get the 400MHz FSB for you CPU.

--

> Here's an update:
>
> Finally got it to POST completely accidentally. Reset the jumper for
> the Green Button/standby switch and it posted. Go figure :shock: .
> After it posted and repaired the install of XP to recognize new
> hardware from a reused HDD still running ok. However there are some
> POST codes being displayed. Will have to look those up and see what
> they are, but for now it runs. Also, its only showing the Athlon
> 3000+ as a 1.2Ghz CPU, i believe. Need to look into that as well.
> One thing at a time i guess. Keep any tips/hints coming I like
> having a 2nd opinion.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2005 12:40:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

This mobo is crazy, anytime i change the settings in the BIOS for
anything other than FAIL-SAFE it won't post. All the jumpers are set
as per manual, all the components work properly. It could be that the
HDD was pulled from a previous system that i had and there are some
conflicts because Win XP is not stable and will reboot every so often
or just lock up or even better the good old memory dump. I also have
98 on this HDD and when i boot up to 98 i get no problems with it
booting except the fact that the CPU is still not running at its
proper speed but at 1300mhz. What do you guys think, reformat that
HDD and do a clean install of XP or is it something else?
September 15, 2005 10:32:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

> masawowrote:
This mobo is crazy, anytime i change the settings in the BIOS for
anything other than FAIL-SAFE it won't post.

That mobo has heat problems:

1. The cpu platform may not allow close contact between the heat sink
and the cpu. Take the HS off and look to see if the grease has been
flattened hard against the underside of the HS. Most likely you need
to add more grease to ensure proper flow of heat from the cpu to the
HS. This problem shows up as random reboots within a minute of
starting, usually right away when on the 166 setting.

2. Both of the small heat sinks on the mobo need fans. You can
verifty that by using a house fan to blow air into the mobo and you
should find the system stable until you take the fan away when funny
things will start to happen. Normally this problem shows up with you
are stable at 133 but not at 166.

3. You need a good power supply with this mobo because it seems
sensitive to power fluctuations.

4. There are problems with the dual channel mode. Sometimes it just
won't work with certain memory types.
September 15, 2005 12:43:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

So far I've been lucky to NOT have these heat
problems in spite of not having fans on the m/b
except the cpu. I use dual channel with Kingston
2x256MB memory.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

"don" <orion456@excite-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> > masawowrote:
> This mobo is crazy, anytime i change the settings in the BIOS for
> anything other than FAIL-SAFE it won't post.
>
> That mobo has heat problems:
>
> 1. The cpu platform may not allow close contact between the heat sink
> and the cpu. Take the HS off and look to see if the grease has been
> flattened hard against the underside of the HS. Most likely you need
> to add more grease to ensure proper flow of heat from the cpu to the
> HS. This problem shows up as random reboots within a minute of
> starting, usually right away when on the 166 setting.
>
> 2. Both of the small heat sinks on the mobo need fans. You can
> verifty that by using a house fan to blow air into the mobo and you
> should find the system stable until you take the fan away when funny
> things will start to happen. Normally this problem shows up with you
> are stable at 133 but not at 166.
>
> 3. You need a good power supply with this mobo because it seems
> sensitive to power fluctuations.
>
> 4. There are problems with the dual channel mode. Sometimes it just
> won't work with certain memory types.

September 16, 2005 11:31:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

> Zillawrote:
So far I've been lucky to NOT have these heat
> problems in spite of not having fans on the m/b
> except the cpu. I use dual channel with Kingston
> 2x256MB memory.

Prolly different batches with slightly different components or
versions.
!