7njl6 Front Panel Connections

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Hey guys/gals,
Here's my question - The manual for the chaintech 7njl6 displays
pos/neg connections for a couple of items but not for everything. So
i assumed that everything else would just be plugged in with the posi
side towards pin 1(the g-btn). I've checked on Chaintech's site,
Google'd the heck out of chaintech, 7njl6, and haven't come up with a
detailed FPC for this board. I know the LED's are correct since they
light up, but what about the other connections? When I start the box
up i get no beeps, no post, no video, yet i do get HDD LED, Power
LED.

System:
AMD Athlon xp 3000+ Barton
Chaintech 7NJL6 Mobo
Ultra 512mb PC3200 DDR x 2 (origininally had one stick in slot 3 as
per manual, switched sticks to slot 1&2)
Chaintech GeForce FX 5200 256MB Card (doesnt need external power)
Sound: currently just onboard
Ultra 500w PSU with modular connections

Thanks for any tips/flames/rips/assistance.
11 answers Last reply
More about 7njl6 front panel connections
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Wow, that's EXACTLY the same specs as mine, except
    the PSU, mine is 400W! :) The memory in "slots 1 & 3"
    is for dual channel. I'll see my connections. What case
    do you have? Ultra? I got the case, PSU, and m/b from
    TigerDirect for $60 after rebates.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

    "masawo" <lovekungfu@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hey guys/gals,
    > Here's my question - The manual for the chaintech 7njl6 displays
    > pos/neg connections for a couple of items but not for everything. So
    > i assumed that everything else would just be plugged in with the posi
    > side towards pin 1(the g-btn). I've checked on Chaintech's site,
    > Google'd the heck out of chaintech, 7njl6, and haven't come up with a
    > detailed FPC for this board. I know the LED's are correct since they
    > light up, but what about the other connections? When I start the box
    > up i get no beeps, no post, no video, yet i do get HDD LED, Power
    > LED.
    >
    > System:
    > AMD Athlon xp 3000+ Barton
    > Chaintech 7NJL6 Mobo
    > Ultra 512mb PC3200 DDR x 2 (origininally had one stick in slot 3 as
    > per manual, switched sticks to slot 1&2)
    > Chaintech GeForce FX 5200 256MB Card (doesnt need external power)
    > Sound: currently just onboard
    > Ultra 500w PSU with modular connections
    >
    > Thanks for any tips/flames/rips/assistance.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    I have the Ultra UV Wizard Black Mid ATX Case UV Blue Side , also from
    Tigerdirect :) . I purchased their barebones kit that came with
    case, mobo, cpu and a stick of 512 and just added the other
    components that i wanted. Not too happy with tiger right now cause
    it took almost 2wks to get my stuff when their site said 48hr delay,
    then 5-7day delay, then changed to everything is on back order, but
    wait its really not...etc... was like pulling teeth just to get my
    stuff, but oh well...thanks for the reply and the help.

    :D
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > I have the Ultra UV Wizard Black Mid ATX Case UV Blue Side ,
    > also from
    > Tigerdirect :) . I purchased their barebones kit
    > that came with
    > case, mobo, cpu and a stick of 512 and just
    > added the other
    > components that i wanted. Not too happy with
    > tiger right now cause
    > it took almost 2wks to get my stuff when
    > their site said 48hr delay,
    > then 5-7day delay, then changed to
    > everything is on back order, but
    > wait its really not...etc...
    > was like pulling teeth just to get my
    > stuff, but oh
    > well...thanks for the reply and the help.
    >
    > :D

    you did clear the cmos/bios?

    try posting with just the vid card, 1 stick of memory and the
    cpu/hs/fan. disconnect your drives and the case fans.

    yeah, tiger direct fooled around on my last order too. then it road
    around in the ups truck for 4 days plus the weekend. can’t win
    sometimes.

    ud

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-7njl6-Front-Panel-Connections-ftopict61549.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=310650
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Here's an update:

    Finally got it to POST completely accidentally. Reset the jumper for
    the Green Button/standby switch and it posted. Go figure :shock: .
    After it posted and repaired the install of XP to recognize new
    hardware from a reused HDD still running ok. However there are some
    POST codes being displayed. Will have to look those up and see what
    they are, but for now it runs. Also, its only showing the Athlon
    3000+ as a 1.2Ghz CPU, i believe. Need to look into that as well.
    One thing at a time i guess. Keep any tips/hints coming I like
    having a 2nd opinion.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    You will have to go into your BIOS to adjust the clock speed.

    Refer to your manual, Page 15 to verify the JP3 jumper setting. You
    want the higher setting.

    In the BIOS, the FSB speed is pre-set to a conservative "Optimal"
    setting. This is the reason your CPU is running slow--the BIOS
    default setting "underclocks" your system. Refer to your manual, Page
    30 to change your FSB's clock speed. Start with "Aggressive" and make
    sure your system remains stable. Then, you can bump it up to "Turbo"
    or "Expert" if you want. These settings give you more control over
    your system (RAM CAS latency, etc) but you better know what you are
    doing before going too far!

    This entire section (starting on page 23) walks you through
    controlling the speed of your various components -- memory, CPU, and
    AGP video.

    If these POST codes (such as 75) are showing up briefly in the upper
    right corner on bootup, and going away by themselves, just ignore
    them since this is normal.

    HTH!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    A couple of points. The LED's may light when hooked up backwards and
    stay lit even though they should go out. This might cause trouble.
    Double check with AMD site as to what the specs for your CPU are by
    part number. This should give you the correct bus speed and
    multiplier. If JP3 is properly jumpered, optimized defaults in the
    BIOS should give you the proper speeds. Chaintech told me to reset
    the BIOS, boot up into the BIOS and load optimized defaults. Some of
    the settings don't seem right since I don't have need of all hardware
    or even a floppy. I installed the operating system, and then went back
    adjusting BIOS items one at a time.
    Running ME.
    All seems reasonably stable, except software issues. ATI seems to have
    issues related to the latest versions of Winamp. Something about their
    multimedia center software and Winamp maybe fighting over who has
    control of file extensions. Seems a lot like the contest of IE vs
    Netscape and several other fights that should have never originated.
    BTW, in the recent past Jason must have sold his baby to AOHell. And
    it has been buggy and troublesome eversince. Thinking I will change
    to foobar2000, which I'm testing right now. It too is having trouble
    if ATI MMC bar is running, but at least it doesn't blue screen to
    death and force cold boot.
    Also beware there seems some odd stuff relating to USB and these
    cases.
    I've noted that one pin isn't used that is shown in the usb spec and
    on the mobo manual. It is supposed to be used for some signaling,
    maybe overcurrent? Also it would be using the shielding of the case
    cable. So besides signalling with dc for overcurrent, it should also
    be acting as an ac ground, noise. And I had ran across where some of
    these cases were having shorts in the front panel jack to ground.
    Some idiot/half engineer may have solved that issue by removing the
    pin at the mobo end.

    hope this helps, some.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Good to hear. Like someone mentioned, set your clock
    speed to 200MHz to get the 400MHz FSB for you CPU.

    --

    > Here's an update:
    >
    > Finally got it to POST completely accidentally. Reset the jumper for
    > the Green Button/standby switch and it posted. Go figure :shock: .
    > After it posted and repaired the install of XP to recognize new
    > hardware from a reused HDD still running ok. However there are some
    > POST codes being displayed. Will have to look those up and see what
    > they are, but for now it runs. Also, its only showing the Athlon
    > 3000+ as a 1.2Ghz CPU, i believe. Need to look into that as well.
    > One thing at a time i guess. Keep any tips/hints coming I like
    > having a 2nd opinion.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    This mobo is crazy, anytime i change the settings in the BIOS for
    anything other than FAIL-SAFE it won't post. All the jumpers are set
    as per manual, all the components work properly. It could be that the
    HDD was pulled from a previous system that i had and there are some
    conflicts because Win XP is not stable and will reboot every so often
    or just lock up or even better the good old memory dump. I also have
    98 on this HDD and when i boot up to 98 i get no problems with it
    booting except the fact that the CPU is still not running at its
    proper speed but at 1300mhz. What do you guys think, reformat that
    HDD and do a clean install of XP or is it something else?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    > masawowrote:
    This mobo is crazy, anytime i change the settings in the BIOS for
    anything other than FAIL-SAFE it won't post.

    That mobo has heat problems:

    1. The cpu platform may not allow close contact between the heat sink
    and the cpu. Take the HS off and look to see if the grease has been
    flattened hard against the underside of the HS. Most likely you need
    to add more grease to ensure proper flow of heat from the cpu to the
    HS. This problem shows up as random reboots within a minute of
    starting, usually right away when on the 166 setting.

    2. Both of the small heat sinks on the mobo need fans. You can
    verifty that by using a house fan to blow air into the mobo and you
    should find the system stable until you take the fan away when funny
    things will start to happen. Normally this problem shows up with you
    are stable at 133 but not at 166.

    3. You need a good power supply with this mobo because it seems
    sensitive to power fluctuations.

    4. There are problems with the dual channel mode. Sometimes it just
    won't work with certain memory types.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    So far I've been lucky to NOT have these heat
    problems in spite of not having fans on the m/b
    except the cpu. I use dual channel with Kingston
    2x256MB memory.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

    "don" <orion456@excite-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > > masawowrote:
    > This mobo is crazy, anytime i change the settings in the BIOS for
    > anything other than FAIL-SAFE it won't post.
    >
    > That mobo has heat problems:
    >
    > 1. The cpu platform may not allow close contact between the heat sink
    > and the cpu. Take the HS off and look to see if the grease has been
    > flattened hard against the underside of the HS. Most likely you need
    > to add more grease to ensure proper flow of heat from the cpu to the
    > HS. This problem shows up as random reboots within a minute of
    > starting, usually right away when on the 166 setting.
    >
    > 2. Both of the small heat sinks on the mobo need fans. You can
    > verifty that by using a house fan to blow air into the mobo and you
    > should find the system stable until you take the fan away when funny
    > things will start to happen. Normally this problem shows up with you
    > are stable at 133 but not at 166.
    >
    > 3. You need a good power supply with this mobo because it seems
    > sensitive to power fluctuations.
    >
    > 4. There are problems with the dual channel mode. Sometimes it just
    > won't work with certain memory types.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    > Zillawrote:
    So far I've been lucky to NOT have these heat
    > problems in spite of not having fans on the m/b
    > except the cpu. I use dual channel with Kingston
    > 2x256MB memory.

    Prolly different batches with slightly different components or
    versions.

Chaintech Front Panel LED Monitor Motherboards