Questions Setting up old 7NJS Raid

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

I have been to Chaintech support and all they did was confuse me. I
would like to set two serial hard drives up in Raid 0 and need to
know their configuration.

First of all can they both be connected to the same IDE cable? Can
they also be connected to IDE 3?Do they both set up as master?

If that is OK then I also would like to set 3 optical drives up one of
them can be designated as master. Hey if I can set up 4 I'll do that.

Thank's in advance. drker
2 answers Last reply
More about questions setting 7njs raid
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > I have been to Chaintech support and all they did was confuse
    > me. I
    > would like to set two serial hard drives up in Raid 0
    > and need to
    > know their configuration.
    >
    > First of all can they
    > both be connected to the same IDE cable? Can
    > they also be
    > connected to IDE 3?Do they both set up as master?
    >
    > If that is
    > OK then I also would like to set 3 optical drives up one
    > of
    > them can be designated as master. Hey if I can set up 4
    > I'll do that.
    >
    > Thank's in advance. drker

    my msi delta which i have mirrored and my 7njs which has just one
    drive, both use the same promise raid controller. going by the book
    from msi, here’s what you do.

    forget about the ide-3.

    my western digital sata drives came pre jumpered. i don’t know what
    brand you have. connect them with sata cables and boot to bios and
    make sure they are enabled(raid) and set boot order to scsi, save and
    exit.

    at the second boot screen for raid setup, hit ctl + f to enter the
    raid bios. item 1. auto setup, should default to preformance/raid 0
    and build.

    reboot and have a boot disk so you can fdisk and format(or use the
    windows install to do that part) partition(s).

    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    from there you install windows. when instructed to f6 for raid
    drivers, have a floppy with the promise drivers on it. do not put them
    in a folder because windows won’t see them.

    http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/Download/dl_LI.asp?DISNo=297

    and you can use up to 4 opticals on the ide1 & ide2. and again forget
    about the ide-3 because it no longer functions with the to sata drives
    connected.

    ud

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Setting-7NJS-Raid-ftopict62013.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=312856
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Thank's for the info. It may be a while before I post because I have
    yet to purchase the hard drives. I wrote the initial post to find out
    the feasability of the configuration. It totally slipped my mind that
    the serial cable doesn't even attach to the IDE port. Also the IDE 3
    port I believe is used to set up a serial hard drive and a standard
    IDE drive. I still don't understand why anyone would do that. From
    what i understand that would bring the read and write speed's down to
    the max. speeds of the IDE drive. Thank's Again UDARTS

Chaintech NAS / RAID Motherboards