Questions Setting up old 7NJS Raid

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 13, 2005 6:33:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

I have been to Chaintech support and all they did was confuse me. I
would like to set two serial hard drives up in Raid 0 and need to
know their configuration.

First of all can they both be connected to the same IDE cable? Can
they also be connected to IDE 3?Do they both set up as master?

If that is OK then I also would like to set 3 optical drives up one of
them can be designated as master. Hey if I can set up 4 I'll do that.

Thank's in advance. drker
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2005 8:46:29 PM

"" wrote:
> I have been to Chaintech support and all they did was confuse
> me. I
> would like to set two serial hard drives up in Raid 0
> and need to
> know their configuration.
>
> First of all can they
> both be connected to the same IDE cable? Can
> they also be
> connected to IDE 3?Do they both set up as master?
>
> If that is
> OK then I also would like to set 3 optical drives up one
> of
> them can be designated as master. Hey if I can set up 4
> I'll do that.
>
> Thank's in advance. drker

my msi delta which i have mirrored and my 7njs which has just one
drive, both use the same promise raid controller. going by the book
from msi, here’s what you do.

forget about the ide-3.

my western digital sata drives came pre jumpered. i don’t know what
brand you have. connect them with sata cables and boot to bios and
make sure they are enabled(raid) and set boot order to scsi, save and
exit.

at the second boot screen for raid setup, hit ctl + f to enter the
raid bios. item 1. auto setup, should default to preformance/raid 0
and build.

reboot and have a boot disk so you can fdisk and format(or use the
windows install to do that part) partition(s).

http://www.bootdisk.com/

from there you install windows. when instructed to f6 for raid
drivers, have a floppy with the promise drivers on it. do not put them
in a folder because windows won’t see them.

http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/Download/dl_LI.asp?D...

and you can use up to 4 opticals on the ide1 & ide2. and again forget
about the ide-3 because it no longer functions with the to sata drives
connected.

ud

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Setting-7NJS-Ra...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=312856
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2005 3:32:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Thank's for the info. It may be a while before I post because I have
yet to purchase the hard drives. I wrote the initial post to find out
the feasability of the configuration. It totally slipped my mind that
the serial cable doesn't even attach to the IDE port. Also the IDE 3
port I believe is used to set up a serial hard drive and a standard
IDE drive. I still don't understand why anyone would do that. From
what i understand that would bring the read and write speed's down to
the max. speeds of the IDE drive. Thank's Again UDARTS
!