CD and DVD Drives dissapeared

I have an HP Pavilion 7955 with windows XP, and it has been working fine
for several years. Just a couple months ago, however, my CD and DVD
drives started dissapearing - If i went to "My Computer" they would not
show up, and they didn't work at all. However, if i restarted the
computer, this fixed the problem. Now, though, my drives have
permanently dissapeared; even restarting the computer won't get them
back. What's going on?
Any help you could give would be great.

Thanks,
Ben

--
bnturner
1 answer Last reply

    Here's some generic help to start with:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    bnturner wrote:
    > I have an HP Pavilion 7955 with windows XP, and it has been working fine
    > for several years. Just a couple months ago, however, my CD and DVD
    > drives started dissapearing - If i went to "My Computer" they would not
    > show up, and they didn't work at all. However, if i restarted the
    > computer, this fixed the problem. Now, though, my drives have
    > permanently dissapeared; even restarting the computer won't get them
    > back. What's going on?
    > Any help you could give would be great.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ben