CT-7NJL6 w/ barton 3000+ only running at 1300

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Like so many of you good folks, I bought a barebones from Tiger Direct
and had my share of problems. It is now running stable but only at
1300 MHz. Am I missing something? Either in the BIOS or the jumpers
on the board itself. Please explain the correct jumper settings and
the BIOS settings as if I were a 3rd grader.

THX
13 answers Last reply
More about 7njl6 barton 3000 running 1300
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Thanks UD,
    Tried that and still showed 1.30, so in the BIOS I changed the FSB
    Frequency from 166 to 200. Still I only see a 1.30 GHz. Any
    suggestions would be appreciated.

    THX

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:37:50 -0500, uddarts
    <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

    >"" wrote:
    > > Like so many of you good folks, I bought a barebones from
    > > Tiger Direct
    > > and had my share of problems. It is now running stable but
    > > only at
    > > 1300 MHz. Am I missing something? Either in the BIOS or the
    > > jumpers
    > > on the board itself. Please explain the correct jumper
    > > settings and
    > > the BIOS settings as if I were a 3rd grader.
    > >
    > > THX
    >
    >upper left of the agp/video card there is the jumper, jp3. there
    >should be a picture in the manual if you have a question on it.
    >basicly just move it over 1 pin.
    >

    >ud
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Refer to page 30 of your manual, section 3-7.

    This board's Optimal setting is actually underclocking your chip by a
    large margin.

    In BIOS, change your Freq/Voltage from Optimal to Aggressive. This
    will take you to 1.99 GHz, which is still a bit low for this chip's
    rating. If that is stable, you can try to overclock the chip by
    kicking it up to Turbo or Expert and playing with those settings.

    I left mine at Aggressive, because I am Chicken.

    In my experience, on most boards you can specify the frequency; I
    guess Chaintech dumbed down the process with this one.

    There are no temperature sensor displays in BIOS either; too bad.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    What CPU do you have?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > Thanks UD,
    > Tried that and still showed 1.30, so in the BIOS I changed the
    > FSB
    > Frequency from 166 to 200. Still I only see a 1.30 GHz. Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > THX
    >
    > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:37:50 -0500, uddarts
    > <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
    >
    > >"" wrote:
    > > > Like so many of you good folks, I bought a barebones from
    > > > Tiger Direct
    > > > and had my share of problems. It is now running stable
    > but
    > > > only at
    > > > 1300 MHz. Am I missing something? Either in the BIOS or
    > the
    > > > jumpers
    > > > on the board itself. Please explain the correct jumper
    > > > settings and
    > > > the BIOS settings as if I were a 3rd grader.
    > > >
    > > > THX
    > >
    > >upper left of the agp/video card there is the jumper, jp3.
    > there
    > >should be a picture in the manual if you have a question on
    > it.
    > >basicly just move it over 1 pin.
    > >

    > >ud

    that was suppose to work. i have to go out for a hour or 2. we’ll work
    it out later.

    ud

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-CT-7NJL6-barton-3000-running-1300-ftopict62386.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=314336
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > Refer to page 30 of your manual, section 3-7.
    >
    > This board's
    > Optimal setting is actually underclocking your chip by a
    > large
    > margin.
    >
    > In BIOS, change your Freq/Voltage from Optimal to
    > Aggressive. This
    > will take you to 1.99 GHz, which is still a
    > bit low for this chip's
    > rating. If that is stable, you can try
    > to overclock the chip by
    > kicking it up to Turbo or Expert and
    > playing with those settings.
    >
    > I left mine at Aggressive,
    > because I am Chicken.
    >
    > In my experience, on most boards you
    > can specify the frequency; I
    > guess Chaintech dumbed down the
    > process with this one.
    >
    > There are no temperature sensor
    > displays in BIOS either; too bad.

    tks guy, it’s always best when someone has the board. a downloaded
    manual pdf always leaves something to be desired.

    ud

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-CT-7NJL6-barton-3000-running-1300-ftopict62386.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=314389
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    Tried it all and can not get the cpu up past 1.30. Cpuz.exe shows a
    13X at 100 MHz and the memory at 1:1 with 100 MHz. That seems right
    but why cannot I get this same coordination at a faster FSB speed?

    On 22 Sep 2005 01:37:28 -0400, uddarts
    <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

    >"" wrote:
    > > Refer to page 30 of your manual, section 3-7.
    > >
    > > This board's
    > > Optimal setting is actually underclocking your chip by a
    > > large
    > > margin.
    > >
    > > In BIOS, change your Freq/Voltage from Optimal to
    > > Aggressive. This
    > > will take you to 1.99 GHz, which is still a
    > > bit low for this chip's
    > > rating. If that is stable, you can try
    > > to overclock the chip by
    > > kicking it up to Turbo or Expert and
    > > playing with those settings.
    > >
    > > I left mine at Aggressive,
    > > because I am Chicken.
    > >
    > > In my experience, on most boards you
    > > can specify the frequency; I
    > > guess Chaintech dumbed down the
    > > process with this one.
    > >
    > > There are no temperature sensor
    > > displays in BIOS either; too bad.
    >
    >tks guy, it’s always best when someone has the board. a downloaded
    >manual pdf always leaves something to be desired.
    >

    >ud
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    ok...Your symptoms are consistent with JP3 set at 100 MHz. My board
    came set to the higher bus frequency, so I did not have to change it.

    What pins do you have shorted? Refer to you manual, page 15 and
    verify that you have the jumper on pins 1 and 2. To get a higher CPU
    speed, you will need to change it. If you have already set it right,
    look for some foreign object that is shorting the pins.

    Also, your manual, page 8 shows that you should use a multiplier of
    10.5 for a 200 MHZ FSB, 13 for 166. Did you try both variations?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    One more thing...

    I have been running my system (7NJL6 w/ XP2900) since mid-Feburary
    without a crash...I just rebooted my system and went into the BIOS.

    Enter BIOS, Go into Frequency/Voltage control, and set the following:

    System Interface: Expert
    FSB Frequency: 200 MHZ
    CPU Interface: Aggressive
    Memory Frequency: Auto

    Memory Timings: Optimal

    And tell us what you get.

    HTH!
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    OK, good friends, I'm up to 2.16 MHz. Had to reset JP1 twice but it
    finally booted with Optimized default loaded. Thanks for all the help
    but will have to try again as soon as Rita goes through and we have
    stabilized electricity. Being in Southwest Louisiana is not always
    fun. I may be out of electricity and AC for a while but lots of
    liquor and ice. I have to endure it but I don't have remember it.
    Later.

    THX

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 02:33:54 GMT,
    gsaults@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Guy) wrote:

    >One more thing...
    >
    >I have been running my system (7NJL6 w/ XP2900) since mid-Feburary
    >without a crash...I just rebooted my system and went into the BIOS.
    >

    >Enter BIOS, Go into Frequency/Voltage control, and set the following:
    >

    >System Interface: Expert
    >FSB Frequency: 200 MHZ
    >CPU Interface: Aggressive
    >Memory Frequency: Auto
    >
    >Memory Timings: Optimal
    >

    >And tell us what you get.
    >
    >HTH!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    I would try to set the CPU for the intended bus speed, revealed by the
    part number on the processor. Verify at AMD, the word is that there
    are some that got rebadged to a lower speed. Also where are you
    checking the speed at. My Sempron 2800 333 bus runs at a true near
    2Ghz. the 2800 is a rating.
    Also check if there is a label on the RAM if it is Ultra. I thought I
    was getting pc3200 400MHz RAM from the ad and the BIOS detects as
    such from the SPD. I found the label actually says 266MHz and
    manually setting to such creates stability.
    Start with BIOS reset per manual, boot to BIOS & set to optimum,
    boot machine and check Device Manager for proper hardware install. I
    have found that when viewing by device connection, the tree will
    reveal wrong connections to computer.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    I would try to set the CPU for the intended bus speed, revealed by the
    part number on the processor. Verify at AMD, the word is that there
    are some that got rebadged to a lower speed. Also where are you
    checking the speed at. My Sempron 2800 333 bus runs at a true near
    2Ghz. the 2800 is a rating.
    Also check if there is a label on the RAM if it is Ultra. I thought I
    was getting pc3200 400MHz RAM from the ad and the BIOS detects as
    such from the SPD. I found the label actually says 266MHz and
    manually setting to such creates stability.
    Start with BIOS reset per manual, boot to BIOS & set to optimum,
    boot machine and check Device Manager for proper hardware install. I
    have found that when viewing by device connection, the tree will
    reveal wrong connections to computer.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    ok, 2167 is the right answer. This tells me you have a 333MHz chip.

    Stay safe; I grew up in Florida so I know what you're feeling!
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > One more thing...
    >
    > I have been running my system (7NJL6 w/
    > XP2900) since mid-Feburary
    > without a crash...I just rebooted
    > my system and went into the BIOS.
    >

    > Enter BIOS, Go into
    > Frequency/Voltage control, and set the following:
    >

    > System
    > Interface: Expert
    > FSB Frequency: 200 MHZ
    > CPU Interface:
    > Aggressive
    > Memory Frequency: Auto
    >
    > Memory Timings:
    > Optimal
    >

    > And tell us what you get.
    >
    > HTH!

    glad you got it. if have to clear your bios again, remember to pull
    the power plug on the psu.

    have fun and don’t try flying a kite. :D

    ud

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-CT-7NJL6-barton-3000-running-1300-ftopict62386.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=314813

Chaintech BIOS Motherboards