Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CT-7NJL6 w/ barton 3000+ only running at 1300

Tags:
  • Chaintech
  • BIOS
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2005 7:04:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Like so many of you good folks, I bought a barebones from Tiger Direct
and had my share of problems. It is now running stable but only at
1300 MHz. Am I missing something? Either in the BIOS or the jumpers
on the board itself. Please explain the correct jumper settings and
the BIOS settings as if I were a 3rd grader.

THX

More about : 7njl6 barton 3000 running 1300

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2005 12:09:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Thanks UD,
Tried that and still showed 1.30, so in the BIOS I changed the FSB
Frequency from 166 to 200. Still I only see a 1.30 GHz. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

THX

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:37:50 -0500, uddarts
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>"" wrote:
> > Like so many of you good folks, I bought a barebones from
> > Tiger Direct
> > and had my share of problems. It is now running stable but
> > only at
> > 1300 MHz. Am I missing something? Either in the BIOS or the
> > jumpers
> > on the board itself. Please explain the correct jumper
> > settings and
> > the BIOS settings as if I were a 3rd grader.
> >
> > THX
>
>upper left of the agp/video card there is the jumper, jp3. there
>should be a picture in the manual if you have a question on it.
>basicly just move it over 1 pin.
>
>
>ud
September 21, 2005 10:33:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Refer to page 30 of your manual, section 3-7.

This board's Optimal setting is actually underclocking your chip by a
large margin.

In BIOS, change your Freq/Voltage from Optimal to Aggressive. This
will take you to 1.99 GHz, which is still a bit low for this chip's
rating. If that is stable, you can try to overclock the chip by
kicking it up to Turbo or Expert and playing with those settings.

I left mine at Aggressive, because I am Chicken.

In my experience, on most boards you can specify the frequency; I
guess Chaintech dumbed down the process with this one.

There are no temperature sensor displays in BIOS either; too bad.
Related resources
September 22, 2005 3:37:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

What CPU do you have?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2005 5:36:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

"" wrote:
> Thanks UD,
> Tried that and still showed 1.30, so in the BIOS I changed the
> FSB
> Frequency from 166 to 200. Still I only see a 1.30 GHz. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> THX
>
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:37:50 -0500, uddarts
> <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
>
> >"" wrote:
> > > Like so many of you good folks, I bought a barebones from
> > > Tiger Direct
> > > and had my share of problems. It is now running stable
> but
> > > only at
> > > 1300 MHz. Am I missing something? Either in the BIOS or
> the
> > > jumpers
> > > on the board itself. Please explain the correct jumper
> > > settings and
> > > the BIOS settings as if I were a 3rd grader.
> > >
> > > THX
> >
> >upper left of the agp/video card there is the jumper, jp3.
> there
> >should be a picture in the manual if you have a question on
> it.
> >basicly just move it over 1 pin.
> >
> >
> >ud

that was suppose to work. i have to go out for a hour or 2. we’ll work
it out later.

ud

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-CT-7NJL6-barton...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=314336
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2005 5:37:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

"" wrote:
> Refer to page 30 of your manual, section 3-7.
>
> This board's
> Optimal setting is actually underclocking your chip by a
> large
> margin.
>
> In BIOS, change your Freq/Voltage from Optimal to
> Aggressive. This
> will take you to 1.99 GHz, which is still a
> bit low for this chip's
> rating. If that is stable, you can try
> to overclock the chip by
> kicking it up to Turbo or Expert and
> playing with those settings.
>
> I left mine at Aggressive,
> because I am Chicken.
>
> In my experience, on most boards you
> can specify the frequency; I
> guess Chaintech dumbed down the
> process with this one.
>
> There are no temperature sensor
> displays in BIOS either; too bad.

tks guy, it’s always best when someone has the board. a downloaded
manual pdf always leaves something to be desired.


ud

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-CT-7NJL6-barton...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=314389
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2005 5:49:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Tried it all and can not get the cpu up past 1.30. Cpuz.exe shows a
13X at 100 MHz and the memory at 1:1 with 100 MHz. That seems right
but why cannot I get this same coordination at a faster FSB speed?

On 22 Sep 2005 01:37:28 -0400, uddarts
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>"" wrote:
> > Refer to page 30 of your manual, section 3-7.
> >
> > This board's
> > Optimal setting is actually underclocking your chip by a
> > large
> > margin.
> >
> > In BIOS, change your Freq/Voltage from Optimal to
> > Aggressive. This
> > will take you to 1.99 GHz, which is still a
> > bit low for this chip's
> > rating. If that is stable, you can try
> > to overclock the chip by
> > kicking it up to Turbo or Expert and
> > playing with those settings.
> >
> > I left mine at Aggressive,
> > because I am Chicken.
> >
> > In my experience, on most boards you
> > can specify the frequency; I
> > guess Chaintech dumbed down the
> > process with this one.
> >
> > There are no temperature sensor
> > displays in BIOS either; too bad.
>
>tks guy, it’s always best when someone has the board. a downloaded
>manual pdf always leaves something to be desired.
>
>
>ud
September 23, 2005 5:34:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

ok...Your symptoms are consistent with JP3 set at 100 MHz. My board
came set to the higher bus frequency, so I did not have to change it.


What pins do you have shorted? Refer to you manual, page 15 and
verify that you have the jumper on pins 1 and 2. To get a higher CPU
speed, you will need to change it. If you have already set it right,
look for some foreign object that is shorting the pins.

Also, your manual, page 8 shows that you should use a multiplier of
10.5 for a 200 MHZ FSB, 13 for 166. Did you try both variations?
September 23, 2005 6:33:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

One more thing...

I have been running my system (7NJL6 w/ XP2900) since mid-Feburary
without a crash...I just rebooted my system and went into the BIOS.


Enter BIOS, Go into Frequency/Voltage control, and set the following:



System Interface: Expert
FSB Frequency: 200 MHZ
CPU Interface: Aggressive
Memory Frequency: Auto

Memory Timings: Optimal


And tell us what you get.

HTH!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2005 1:04:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

OK, good friends, I'm up to 2.16 MHz. Had to reset JP1 twice but it
finally booted with Optimized default loaded. Thanks for all the help
but will have to try again as soon as Rita goes through and we have
stabilized electricity. Being in Southwest Louisiana is not always
fun. I may be out of electricity and AC for a while but lots of
liquor and ice. I have to endure it but I don't have remember it.
Later.

THX


On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 02:33:54 GMT,
gsaults@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Guy) wrote:

>One more thing...
>
>I have been running my system (7NJL6 w/ XP2900) since mid-Feburary
>without a crash...I just rebooted my system and went into the BIOS.
>
>
>Enter BIOS, Go into Frequency/Voltage control, and set the following:
>
>
>
>System Interface: Expert
>FSB Frequency: 200 MHZ
>CPU Interface: Aggressive
>Memory Frequency: Auto
>
>Memory Timings: Optimal
>
>
>And tell us what you get.
>
>HTH!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2005 10:35:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

I would try to set the CPU for the intended bus speed, revealed by the
part number on the processor. Verify at AMD, the word is that there
are some that got rebadged to a lower speed. Also where are you
checking the speed at. My Sempron 2800 333 bus runs at a true near
2Ghz. the 2800 is a rating.
Also check if there is a label on the RAM if it is Ultra. I thought I
was getting pc3200 400MHz RAM from the ad and the BIOS detects as
such from the SPD. I found the label actually says 266MHz and
manually setting to such creates stability.
Start with BIOS reset per manual, boot to BIOS & set to optimum,
boot machine and check Device Manager for proper hardware install. I
have found that when viewing by device connection, the tree will
reveal wrong connections to computer.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2005 10:35:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

I would try to set the CPU for the intended bus speed, revealed by the
part number on the processor. Verify at AMD, the word is that there
are some that got rebadged to a lower speed. Also where are you
checking the speed at. My Sempron 2800 333 bus runs at a true near
2Ghz. the 2800 is a rating.
Also check if there is a label on the RAM if it is Ultra. I thought I
was getting pc3200 400MHz RAM from the ad and the BIOS detects as
such from the SPD. I found the label actually says 266MHz and
manually setting to such creates stability.
Start with BIOS reset per manual, boot to BIOS & set to optimum,
boot machine and check Device Manager for proper hardware install. I
have found that when viewing by device connection, the tree will
reveal wrong connections to computer.
September 23, 2005 10:35:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

ok, 2167 is the right answer. This tells me you have a 333MHz chip.

Stay safe; I grew up in Florida so I know what you're feeling!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 25, 2005 7:36:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

"" wrote:
> One more thing...
>
> I have been running my system (7NJL6 w/
> XP2900) since mid-Feburary
> without a crash...I just rebooted
> my system and went into the BIOS.
>
>
> Enter BIOS, Go into
> Frequency/Voltage control, and set the following:
>
>
>
> System
> Interface: Expert
> FSB Frequency: 200 MHZ
> CPU Interface:
> Aggressive
> Memory Frequency: Auto
>
> Memory Timings:
> Optimal
>
>
> And tell us what you get.
>
> HTH!

glad you got it. if have to clear your bios again, remember to pull
the power plug on the psu.

have fun and don’t try flying a kite. :D 

ud

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-CT-7NJL6-barton...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=314813
Related resources
!