N2U400-A Great, but LAN causes 98SE hang on shutdown....

Great board, typing on this machine right now. Only problem is that
once I go to shutdown, I know it's gonna hang. I know it's a 98SE
problem as much as anything, but is anybody else experiencing this??
Any solutions?? I've tried lots of stuff already but the only way to
make 98SE shutdown easily is to either "disable" this LAN in device
manager or remove it completely. (nVidia MCP network controller)

I'm asking here though there's very little on Google about this board.
If anybody has a better suggestion for places to ask, I'm up for
suggestions. TIA
3 answers Last reply
More about n2u400 great 98se hang shutdown
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:23:25 -0700, red <redgtxdi@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Great board, typing on this machine right now. Only problem is that
    >once I go to shutdown, I know it's gonna hang. I know it's a 98SE
    >problem as much as anything, but is anybody else experiencing this??
    >Any solutions?? I've tried lots of stuff already but the only way to
    >make 98SE shutdown easily is to either "disable" this LAN in device
    >manager or remove it completely. (nVidia MCP network controller)
    >
    >I'm asking here though there's very little on Google about this board.
    >If anybody has a better suggestion for places to ask, I'm up for
    >suggestions. TIA

    I bought one of these and it was DOA. Returned it and got another
    DOA.
    Got my money back and got an MSI -- no problem.

    Don
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Wow, that was helpful. Actually, I find more problems are user-error
    related regarding ECS boards due to the # that are sold via Fry's
    electronics. I've even used their "returned" boards with success &
    can only imagine what the original user/builder was doing/thinking.

    In this case, the board is working flawlessly. Smooth as silk, good #
    of options (thought obviously not an Abit af7/nf7 series type board)
    but for the price can't be beat. Running an Athlon 3000+(400fsb) w/
    some Golden Dragon DDR433 and a Sapphir 9600 w/ Samsung
    chips.......(cookin' w/ gas!). Back to the original
    question..........

    Anybody run into the Nvidia MCP network controller causing a hang? I
    got initial reponse from ECS, but it's only preliminary. Gotta wait
    for a "human" to answer. If no-joy after that, I'll just install XP &
    be done. TIA

    don@donsautomotive.com (Donald Lewis) wrote in message news:<4072b3ba.42882078@news-server.austin.rr.com>...
    > On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:23:25 -0700, red <redgtxdi@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Great board, typing on this machine right now. Only problem is that
    > >once I go to shutdown, I know it's gonna hang. I know it's a 98SE
    > >problem as much as anything, but is anybody else experiencing this??
    > >Any solutions?? I've tried lots of stuff already but the only way to
    > >make 98SE shutdown easily is to either "disable" this LAN in device
    > >manager or remove it completely. (nVidia MCP network controller)
    > >
    > >I'm asking here though there's very little on Google about this board.
    > >If anybody has a better suggestion for places to ask, I'm up for
    > >suggestions. TIA
    >
    > I bought one of these and it was DOA. Returned it and got another
    > DOA.
    > Got my money back and got an MSI -- no problem.
    >
    > Don
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    OK, got an answer from ECS...........(c&p below).......

    As per ECS--------->"This is a WIN98 issue because the chipset is too
    new to be supported in WIN98 and this is causing resource or driver
    conflict. In order to resolve the issue, I suggest that you upgrade to
    either WIN2000 or WINXP. The onboard LAN is "Nvidia MCP network
    controller", the "VT6103L" is a PHY." <-------------

    Oh well, so much for 98SE. Guess I'll have to (ahem) 'install' XP
    home. And for anyone wondering, I had asked why Device Manager showed
    it as "NVidia MCP network controller" while the manual reads nothing
    of the sort & only refers to "VT6103L" (actual onboard chip
    designation..."physical layer device") as the PHY. Usually most of
    these onboard LAN's (realtek, Sis, etc.) showup as what they're called
    in the manual.

    > > >Great board, typing on this machine right now. Only problem is that
    > > >once I go to shutdown, I know it's gonna hang. I know it's a 98SE
    > > >problem as much as anything, but is anybody else experiencing this??
    > > >Any solutions?? I've tried lots of stuff already but the only way to
    > > >make 98SE shutdown easily is to either "disable" this LAN in device
    > > >manager or remove it completely. (nVidia MCP network controller)
    > > >
    > > >I'm asking here though there's very little on Google about this board.
    > > >If anybody has a better suggestion for places to ask, I'm up for
    > > >suggestions. TIA

Elitegroup LAN Shutdown Motherboards