ASUS DVD/CDROM player (E616P) cannot read disks on limited..

September 27, 2004 9:58:24 PM

Hi,

My ASUS DVD/CDROM player (E616P) cannot read (any kind of) disks if I log on
with a limited account (on Windows XP Home Edition SP2, but there is no
difference with SP1 as far as this issue is concerned).

I get the following messages:
"Disk not formatted.
Windows cannot read from this disk.
The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not
compatible with Windows."

There is no problem if I log on with my administrator account. So what's the
problem, you may ask. Well for security reasons I'd really like to use my
administrator account for administrative purposes.
I have faithfully gone through all the steps on:
"How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

All to no avail.
There is a site in a slavonic language which deals with this issue - I
think- on:
http://www.elitesecurity.org/tema/61938
Does anyone speak this language here? Any ideas would be welcome.

JJ
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 9:54:03 AM

I have the same problem.
I am seeign this more and more on the newsgroups and I don't have an answer.
Could it be a recent security patch ? I am going to remove some of mine.

Don't know what has happened but on Sunday suddenly both my external USB
CD-Rom and Internal CD Rom drives
on my laptop suddenly stopped reading cd-rom disks containing data.
Audio cds play fine but any data discs such as backups, games or software
discs result
in the same message if browsed in explorer:-
Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could
be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.

I have re-installed drivers, been through google but nothing I could find or
do made a difference.
I did a virus scan with f-prot and a spyware scan with spy-doctor but
nothing helped.

I also removed the USB cd-rom drive and plugged it into my other laptop and
it worked fine.

very annoying

"pc" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My ASUS DVD/CDROM player (E616P) cannot read (any kind of) disks if I log on
> with a limited account (on Windows XP Home Edition SP2, but there is no
> difference with SP1 as far as this issue is concerned).
>
> I get the following messages:
> "Disk not formatted.
> Windows cannot read from this disk.
> The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not
> compatible with Windows."
>
> There is no problem if I log on with my administrator account. So what's the
> problem, you may ask. Well for security reasons I'd really like to use my
> administrator account for administrative purposes.
> I have faithfully gone through all the steps on:
> "How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
>
> All to no avail.
> There is a site in a slavonic language which deals with this issue - I
> think- on:
> http://www.elitesecurity.org/tema/61938
> Does anyone speak this language here? Any ideas would be welcome.
>
> JJ

April 3, 2009 2:11:48 PM

You can use the google translate feature or many other websites that will translate the web page for you
April 3, 2009 4:12:46 PM

You can also read the date on the top of a post before replying.
!