ASUS DVD/CDROM player (E616P) cannot read disks on limited..

Hi,

My ASUS DVD/CDROM player (E616P) cannot read (any kind of) disks if I log on
with a limited account (on Windows XP Home Edition SP2, but there is no
difference with SP1 as far as this issue is concerned).

I get the following messages:
"Disk not formatted.
Windows cannot read from this disk.
The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not
compatible with Windows."

There is no problem if I log on with my administrator account. So what's the
problem, you may ask. Well for security reasons I'd really like to use my
administrator account for administrative purposes.
I have faithfully gone through all the steps on:
"How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

All to no avail.
There is a site in a slavonic language which deals with this issue - I
think- on:
http://www.elitesecurity.org/tema/61938
Does anyone speak this language here? Any ideas would be welcome.

JJ
3 answers Last reply
More about asus cdrom player e616p read disks limited

    I have the same problem.
    I am seeign this more and more on the newsgroups and I don't have an answer.
    Could it be a recent security patch ? I am going to remove some of mine.

    Don't know what has happened but on Sunday suddenly both my external USB
    CD-Rom and Internal CD Rom drives
    on my laptop suddenly stopped reading cd-rom disks containing data.
    Audio cds play fine but any data discs such as backups, games or software
    discs result
    in the same message if browsed in explorer:-
    Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could
    be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.

    I have re-installed drivers, been through google but nothing I could find or
    do made a difference.
    I did a virus scan with f-prot and a spyware scan with spy-doctor but
    nothing helped.

    I also removed the USB cd-rom drive and plugged it into my other laptop and
    it worked fine.

    very annoying

    "pc" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My ASUS DVD/CDROM player (E616P) cannot read (any kind of) disks if I log on
    > with a limited account (on Windows XP Home Edition SP2, but there is no
    > difference with SP1 as far as this issue is concerned).
    >
    > I get the following messages:
    > "Disk not formatted.
    > Windows cannot read from this disk.
    > The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not
    > compatible with Windows."
    >
    > There is no problem if I log on with my administrator account. So what's the
    > problem, you may ask. Well for security reasons I'd really like to use my
    > administrator account for administrative purposes.
    > I have faithfully gone through all the steps on:
    > "How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
    >
    > All to no avail.
    > There is a site in a slavonic language which deals with this issue - I
    > think- on:
    > http://www.elitesecurity.org/tema/61938
    > Does anyone speak this language here? Any ideas would be welcome.
    >
    > JJ

  2. You can use the google translate feature or many other websites that will translate the web page for you
  3. You can also read the date on the top of a post before replying.

Asus DVD Windows XP