send to Mail Recepient does not work

Hello:

After downloading recent microsoft windows updates the
function to right click and "send to Mail Recepient"
gives an HTTP error 404. This function was working fine
from last 4 years. I have tried windows knowledge base
but the suggestions to go to control panel and select IIS
and intmgr are not available on my computer.

Thanks in advance

Sachbole

Malke

sachbole wrote:

> Hello:
>
> After downloading recent microsoft windows updates the
> function to right click and "send to Mail Recepient"
> gives an HTTP error 404. This function was working fine
> from last 4 years. I have tried windows knowledge base
> but the suggestions to go to control panel and select IIS
> and intmgr are not available on my computer.

This really doesn't have anything to do with wireless networking, but:

1. What email client are you using?
2. Do you use Hot Mail for your main email?

If you do, then the problem didn't occur because of Windows updates but
rather because of changes in Hot Mail. See if this helps (information
from MVP Ramesh):

If you're using Hotmail as the default mail handler, when you type the
mailto:mymail@abc.com to compose message to an email address, the
following screen appears with HTTP 404 error:

Server Error in '/' Application. The resource cannot be found.
dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is
temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure
that it is spelled correctly.

Requested Url: /secure/start

Workaround:

The address bar shows this entry:

http://www.hotmail.com/secure/start?action=compose&to=mymail@abc.com

Changing the above to the following line helps:

http://www.hotmail.msn.com/secure/start?action=compose&to=mymail@abc.com

To make this permanent, try these steps:

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail

Create a new REG_SZ value named posturl. Double-click posturl and set
its value exactly as given below:

http://hotmail.msn.com/secure/start

Malke
--