cmos memory wrong

bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

HI guys,

I hope you can help me with this one, I bought the k7s5a mb with 1.4
athlon on it. I've been having this for a month, my problen is its
constantly crashing and when it reboot it says "CMOS MEMORY SIZE WRONG".

Is there anybody of you guys familiar with this, what can i do t fix this.

Thanks
Bernie

Smoker

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004

"Bernie" <bernimlg@centurytel.net> wrote in message
> HI guys,
>
> I hope you can help me with this one, I bought the k7s5a mb with 1.4
> athlon on it. I've been having this for a month, my problen is its
> constantly crashing and when it reboot it says "CMOS MEMORY SIZE WRONG".
>
> Is there anybody of you guys familiar with this, what can i do t fix this.

A lot of people running a 1.4 Tbird on K7S5A can't use newer BIOSes and find
the Nov.21, 2001 BIOS to work best.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 05:43:48 GMT, "Smoker" <nospam@x.y> wrote:

>"Bernie" <bernimlg@centurytel.net> wrote in message
>> HI guys,
>>
>> I hope you can help me with this one, I bought the k7s5a mb with 1.4
>> athlon on it. I've been having this for a month, my problen is its
>> constantly crashing and when it reboot it says "CMOS MEMORY SIZE WRONG".
>>
>> Is there anybody of you guys familiar with this, what can i do t fix this.
>>
>A lot of people running a 1.4 Tbird on K7S5A can't use newer BIOSes and find
>the Nov.21, 2001 BIOS to work best.

Just curious but what is it about the "newer BIOSes" that prevents their
being used successfully with the 1.4 Tbird (aka "the space heater")?

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:32:26 GMT, Rich Webb
<bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 05:43:48 GMT, "Smoker" <nospam@x.y> wrote:
>

>>"Bernie" <bernimlg@centurytel.net> wrote in message
>>> HI guys,
>>>
>>> I hope you can help me with this one, I bought the k7s5a mb with 1.4
>>> athlon on it. I've been having this for a month, my problen is its
>>> constantly crashing and when it reboot it says "CMOS MEMORY SIZE WRONG".
>>>
>>> Is there anybody of you guys familiar with this, what can i do t fix this.
>>>
>>A lot of people running a 1.4 Tbird on K7S5A can't use newer BIOSes and find
>>the Nov.21, 2001 BIOS to work best.
>
>Just curious but what is it about the "newer BIOSes" that prevents their
>being used successfully with the 1.4 Tbird (aka "the space heater")?

If the answer to your question was known, the newer bioses would work
just fine.
Pj

bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

PJx wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:32:26 GMT, Rich Webb
> <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 05:43:48 GMT, "Smoker" <nospam@x.y> wrote:
>>

>>>"Bernie" <bernimlg@centurytel.net> wrote in message

>>>A lot of people running a 1.4 Tbird on K7S5A can't use newer BIOSes and find
>>>the Nov.21, 2001 BIOS to work best.
>>
>>Just curious but what is it about the "newer BIOSes" that prevents their
>>being used successfully with the 1.4 Tbird (aka "the space heater")?
>

> If the answer to your question was known, the newer bioses would work
> just fine.
> Pj

Thanks,

I will try to find that old bios and let you know how it comes up

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:11:43 -0500, PJx <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:32:26 GMT, Rich Webb
><bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 05:43:48 GMT, "Smoker" <nospam@x.y> wrote:
>>

>>>"Bernie" <bernimlg@centurytel.net> wrote in message

>>>A lot of people running a 1.4 Tbird on K7S5A can't use newer BIOSes and find
>>>the Nov.21, 2001 BIOS to work best.
>>
>>Just curious but what is it about the "newer BIOSes" that prevents their
>>being used successfully with the 1.4 Tbird (aka "the space heater")?
>
> If the answer to your question was known, the newer bioses would work
>just fine.

Roger that. If I may rephrase, what failures occur when using a 1.4
Tbird and a newer BIOS. Does it not boot at all?

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Rich Webb wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:11:43 -0500, PJx <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:32:26 GMT, Rich Webb
>><bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:

>>>Just curious but what is it about the "newer BIOSes" that prevents their
>>>being used successfully with the 1.4 Tbird (aka "the space heater")?
>>
>>If the answer to your question was known, the newer bioses would work
>>just fine.
>

> Roger that. If I may rephrase, what failures occur when using a 1.4
> Tbird and a newer BIOS. Does it not boot at all?

It does boot, but it always reboot. It get so hot so easy, i have 3 fan
case and still get hot so fast.

Smoker

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004

"Rich Webb" <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 05:43:48 GMT, "Smoker" <nospam@x.y> wrote:
>

> >"Bernie" <bernimlg@centurytel.net> wrote in message
> >> HI guys,
> >>
> >> I hope you can help me with this one, I bought the k7s5a mb with 1.4
> >> athlon on it. I've been having this for a month, my problen is its
> >> constantly crashing and when it reboot it says "CMOS MEMORY SIZE
WRONG".

> >> Is there anybody of you guys familiar with this, what can i do t fix
this.

> >A lot of people running a 1.4 Tbird on K7S5A can't use newer BIOSes and
find
> >the Nov.21, 2001 BIOS to work best.
>
> Just curious but what is it about the "newer BIOSes" that prevents their
> being used successfully with the 1.4 Tbird (aka "the space heater")?
>
> --
Changes had to be made to the board in order to qualify for AMD's list of
approved mobos for the XP processor. The K7S5A was on AMD's list prior to
the XP and when it came out the board was dropped. It seems as though ECS
quit paying attention to Athlon and Duron users and concentrated on making
the board work for XP and the same with their BIOS updates. A newer BIOS can
cause various problems if you're using a Tbird, especially a 1.4 and the
problems go away when you reflash to an older version. For most of us the
newest BIOS we can use is the Nov 21, 2001.

Vic

I'm using the 1.4 with a K7S5APro no problems.I was using the K7S5A but it
went belly up when my power supply blew(chicken or the egg?).Capacitators
bulging.New board seems stable after 2 weeks with 400w Allied PS..None of
the lost cmos errors I have heard on this board.Of course I got it from
Newegg($42) just in case.The old board lasted 2.5 years,hope this one lasts
as long.I'll probably pop in a 2.4XP as soon as prices bottom out.By the way
the 1.4 runs at 40 idle 45-47 load with two case fans upper back lower front
and Speeze "WhisperRock II" CPU Cooler.