Explorer doesnt see USB Flash

I have a 32meg flash drive that, when plugged into a Win
XP machine, is recognized by the system (shows up on the
taskbar), but never shows up in Explorer. If I go to the
ADMIN TOOLS and click on disk management, it shows up,
but not with a letter assignment, just as DISK 0. I have
taken this same flash disk and installed on (4) XP
machines at work, and none of them will show it in
explorer. If I try it on a Win2000 it shows up
immediately, and everything works great. According to the
manufacturer, there is no need for drivers in XP or
Win2000, but ?? This flash drive works fine on a Win98
machine after installing the drivers, so I am guessing
its an XP issue, and not the drive.
3 answers Last reply
More about explorer doesnt flash

    click Disk Management). Disk 0 is reserved for your first hard drive.
    It should show up as Disk 1 or something else. If it is there, right
    click on it and assign it a drive letter. If it isn't there, expand
    Removable Storage, click on Media, right click on the device, click
    Properties, make sure to check Enable Media, click OK. Now see if it
    works. If not you may need to try this:

    Remove the device from Device Manager by right clicking on it, then
    uninstall it, then remove the device from the computer (physically). Now
    open Registry Editior (Start-Run-regedit). Navigate to
    HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\USB. Open each of the folders until you find the
    one that contains info on your USB Device. Right click on the folder
    that starts with Vid_Xxxx that contains the info about your USB device,
    click Permission and allow full control. Then right click and delete
    the folder. Now reboot, then plug the device back in. Hope that works
    for ya, cause if it doesn't, you may need to do a clean install of
    Windows or something else.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Buckshot wrote:
    > I have a 32meg flash drive that, when plugged into a Win
    > XP machine, is recognized by the system (shows up on the
    > taskbar), but never shows up in Explorer. If I go to the
    > ADMIN TOOLS and click on disk management, it shows up,
    > but not with a letter assignment, just as DISK 0. I have
    > taken this same flash disk and installed on (4) XP
    > machines at work, and none of them will show it in
    > explorer. If I try it on a Win2000 it shows up
    > immediately, and everything works great. According to the
    > manufacturer, there is no need for drivers in XP or
    > Win2000, but ?? This flash drive works fine on a Win98
    > machine after installing the drivers, so I am guessing
    > its an XP issue, and not the drive.

    Unfortunately, this did not work. It shows up everywhere
    BUT Explorer, or anywhere else that I could possibly
    access it! I have already formatted this HD, for the same
    reason I posted here. This is obviously an XP error, and
    another wiping of the HD wont fix it. Thanks for your
    help.

    Then it is an issue with the USB Flash drive. You may want to contact
    the manufacturer as their device is clearly not XP compatible assuming
    you have done everything right (including installing the USB drivers
    (chipset/motherboard drivers)).

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

Explorer Windows XP