I've been running my K7S5A v1.0 for ages using a 1900+ with no probs.
Then I put a 2600+ in it and the bios struggled. Machine didnt know what is
was
and kept booting at various different speeds.
I flashed to the latest version of the bios, so that the cpu would be
recognised.
I cleared the cmos, I've loaded setup defualts, then upped the FSB100 to
FSB133.
The machine then insists its a Duron 1400. Stable though, never changes.
Just slooow.

After downloading and flashing each version of the bios to try, i've ended
up on
020809.rom

The machine now boots as a 1900+, FSB100, about 3 boots in 5.
The other times it comes up as unknown AMD 2400MHZ. (The machine hangs after
a couple of minutes in XP). (Need to turn off then on again).

If i change the FSB to 133, it thinks its a Duron again.

BTW, I have a PCI lan card as well.(Some versions of the bios seemed to
notice, some didnt)

Any ideas as to how to get this machine going as a 2600+ FSB133 with a lan
card would be
most appreciated.

Flash to the HoneyX BIOS for your board and set the FSB/Memory to 138/138.
But FIRST, try shutting down, removing all power, and then 'clear' the CMOS
with the jumpers on the MB.
Reboot, shutdown and get back into the BIOS and set it the way you want.
I use 1209 HoneyX BIOS.

"John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been running my K7S5A v1.0 for ages using a 1900+ with no probs.
> Then I put a 2600+ in it and the bios struggled. Machine didnt know what
is
> was
> and kept booting at various different speeds.
> I flashed to the latest version of the bios, so that the cpu would be
> recognised.
> I cleared the cmos, I've loaded setup defualts, then upped the FSB100 to
> FSB133.
> The machine then insists its a Duron 1400. Stable though, never changes.
> Just slooow.
>
> After downloading and flashing each version of the bios to try, i've ended
> up on
> 020809.rom
>
> The machine now boots as a 1900+, FSB100, about 3 boots in 5.
> The other times it comes up as unknown AMD 2400MHZ. (The machine hangs
after
> a couple of minutes in XP). (Need to turn off then on again).
>
> If i change the FSB to 133, it thinks its a Duron again.
>
> BTW, I have a PCI lan card as well.(Some versions of the bios seemed to
> notice, some didnt)
>
> Any ideas as to how to get this machine going as a 2600+ FSB133 with a lan
> card would be
> most appreciated.

"John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been running my K7S5A v1.0 for ages using a 1900+ with no probs.
> Then I put a 2600+ in it and the bios struggled. Machine didnt know what
is
> was
> and kept booting at various different speeds.
> I flashed to the latest version of the bios, so that the cpu would be
> recognised.
> I cleared the cmos, I've loaded setup defualts, then upped the FSB100 to
> FSB133.
> The machine then insists its a Duron 1400. Stable though, never changes.
> Just slooow.
>
> After downloading and flashing each version of the bios to try, i've ended
> up on
> 020809.rom
>
> The machine now boots as a 1900+, FSB100, about 3 boots in 5.
> The other times it comes up as unknown AMD 2400MHZ. (The machine hangs
after
> a couple of minutes in XP). (Need to turn off then on again).
>
> If i change the FSB to 133, it thinks its a Duron again.
>
> BTW, I have a PCI lan card as well.(Some versions of the bios seemed to
> notice, some didnt)
>
> Any ideas as to how to get this machine going as a 2600+ FSB133 with a lan
> card would be
> most appreciated.

What sort of XP 2600 are you using and what FSB speed is it rated at?

Palamino 2600 266FSB?
Thorobred 2600 266 FSB?
or Barton 2600 333 FSB?

And what PSU do you have?

--
Remove ".invalid" and replace with ".co.uk" to reply by e mail

Went straight for the HoneyX BIOS 1209.rom.
Flashed fine, and the machine is now right, T'bred 2600+ FSB133/133.
Haven't tried pushing it higher yet. I will leave that for another time.

Thanks Buffalo / Mr Slow.

> Went straight for the HoneyX BIOS 1209.rom.
> Flashed fine, and the machine is now right, T'bred 2600+ FSB133/133.
> Haven't tried pushing it higher yet. I will leave that for another time.
>
> Thanks Buffalo / Mr Slow.

The reason I suggested 138/138 is because it sometimes makes the PC more
stable when using more than 1 stick of SDram.
Happy to hear its working fine.