GFX card and CPU question

Hi

I just upgraded the mobo in my main pc so mow i have my old k7s5a for
a basis to rebuild my wifes pc. Just need to get a cpu and gfx card.
Will this board accept one of the new duron 1.4, 1.6 or 1.8 cpus. If
not then im on the look out for a cheap 1600+ or 1800+ athlon xp. I
guess even a duron 1.1 or 1.3 will do as my wife dosent play games and
only really uses her pc for watching tv and dvds.

Now the gfx card. Theres a S3 32mb agp card in her pc ( currently a
slot 1 pentium 3 450 machine ) at the moment which is fine for what
she uses it for. Not sure though if it will work on the k7s5a. Will an
old geforce 2 mx work ok? I know a geforce 4mx will be ok as i had one
in there ages ago. If i do put an older card in the k7s5a what will
happen if its not compatible, will it just not boot or will it blow
up?

Regards

paul

I forgot to mention that it was a SIS305 32Mb gfx card.

tia

paul

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 19:00:21 +0100 As truth resonates honesty pberry
<pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote :

>Hi
>
>I just upgraded the mobo in my main pc so mow i have my old k7s5a for
>a basis to rebuild my wifes pc. Just need to get a cpu and gfx card.
>Will this board accept one of the new duron 1.4, 1.6 or 1.8 cpus. If
>not then im on the look out for a cheap 1600+ or 1800+ athlon xp. I
>guess even a duron 1.1 or 1.3 will do as my wife dosent play games and
>only really uses her pc for watching tv and dvds.

Check here,
http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

>Now the gfx card. Theres a S3 32mb agp card in her pc ( currently a
>slot 1 pentium 3 450 machine ) at the moment which is fine for what
>she uses it for. Not sure though if it will work on the k7s5a. Will an
>old geforce 2 mx work ok? I know a geforce 4mx will be ok as i had one
>in there ages ago. If i do put an older card in the k7s5a what will
>happen if its not compatible, will it just not boot or will it blow
>up?
>
>Regards
>
>paul

I ran a G2 MX card in my K7S5a.No probs.

for win98/SE/ME the 30.82 drivers were solid,
http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/
as were the 44.03 which I still use for my G2 Ti 200
HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de