1 in 5 Mac Computers Harbors Malware, Claims Sophos

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpicPeso

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
[citation][nom]Plasmid[/nom]But god told me macs did not viruses !!! How is this possible?, fuck my life[/citation]

That wasn't god, that was Steve Jobs... And guess who's still dead three days later...

rex86

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]Now lets watch as Apple proceed to try and squash such news. Lemme go fetch some popcorns and pops.[/citation]

Most likely they will sue Sophos for spreading lies. But in reality I used to clean viruses and malware for the windows machines of my friends and now it looks like that I'm gonna be cleaning the same crap from the macs of my friends.

I'm running Linux by the way. ;)

kcotton

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
[citation][nom]SpicPeso[/nom]That wasn't god, that was Steve Jobs... And guess who's still dead three days later...[/citation]

harsh...kinda funny, but harsh.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I read a different article that the windows based malware obviously don't affect the Macs, but can still be spread to windows machines. Hey Mac users, do the world a favor and run some AV to help stop the spread of digital herpes!!!

brizzelsprout

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]I read a different article that the windows based malware obviously don't affect the Macs, but can still be spread to windows machines. Hey Mac users, do the world a favor and run some AV to help stop the spread of digital herpes!!![/citation]

heh nice.

On another note. Really, stop with the Apple bashing. You guys are worse than Cubs fans.

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]I read a different article that the windows based malware obviously don't affect the Macs, but can still be spread to windows machines. Hey Mac users, do the world a favor and run some AV to help stop the spread of digital herpes!!![/citation]

Mac users will swear it gives their computer autism.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Not surprised. The majority of Mac users are technologically illiterate fools who make their purchasing decisions based on commercials and whatever is the flavor of the day.

fordry06

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]ctbaars[/nom]... because it's Windows based ? How does that work ?[/citation]

It is malware that infects windows, it cannot operate on osx, but it can still be there and it can still be spread to other computers even though it isn't functional.

[citation][nom]amdphenomx4[/nom]Misleading title is Misleading.[/citation]

not sure what is misleading about saying 1 in 5 macs are harboring malware when that is exactly what the article says.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
there are so many ignorant mac users out there....it hurts me when i tell them to purchase some kind of security software yet they seem to realize that no OS is totally secure

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Truthiness;
1 in 5 macs have malware written for windows sitting in their spam box delivered by e-mail.

PS: Any up-to-date version of BSD is completely secure, it takes action from a user to infect this OS.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Truthiness;1 in 5 macs have malware written for windows sitting in their spam box delivered by e-mail.PS: Any up-to-date version of BSD is completely secure, it takes action from a user to infect this OS.[/citation]

Gave you a thumbs up for speaking the truth but obviously that won't help.

[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]These news made my day[/citation]

Because you have a sad life? I mean seriously, why would you even give a crap about something like this (assuming you don't have a Mac?)

[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]there are so many ignorant mac users out there....it hurts me when i tell them to purchase some kind of security software yet they seem to realize that no OS is totally secure[/citation]

Security experts will tell you that most AV is outdated - yes, it's better than nothing but it's not better than being educated about computer usage.

[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Truthiness;1 in 5 macs have malware written for windows sitting in their spam box delivered by e-mail.PS: Any up-to-date version of BSD is completely secure, it takes action from a user to infect this OS.[/citation]

Nothing is completely secure and BSD (including it's derivatives) are no exception to this. Even fully updated Macs are vulnerable and they are still even more vulnerable than a PC. At least most PCs come with AV and a firewall, even if they aren't the greatest AV/firewall programs out there.

[citation][nom]brizzelsprout[/nom]heh nice.On another note. Really, stop with the Apple bashing. You guys are worse than Cubs fans.[/citation]

Most of the bashing is factual and deserved by Apple, so it's probably never going to stop, or at least it won't stop until Apple stops giving people ammunition to shoot at Apple such as Apple consistently despicable customer support, collusion, and the constant lies that they spew.For example, Apple recently stated that the graphics of the A5X is four times faster than graphics of Tegra 3 in a public statement. Apple even included a useless graph without providing any evidence supporting this when it is in fact only twice as fast, according to everyone who actually tested it.

Another excellent, recent wold be how Apple specifically ordered their tech support guys to not help Mac owners with problems related to the Flash Back trojan until this all blew up in their face. Apple also specifically said that Macs are completely immune to Windows malware, despite this article clearly telling us that a security firm discovered that one in five Macs has Windows malware and could be spreading it as we speak.

Really now, give us good reasons to not bash Apple. Apple certainly isn't giving people good reasons to stop it.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
It seems to me that Apple has a market advantage if windows-based malware continues to spread. I'm not saying they are doing it on purpose, but then again, it's kind of in their favor if they don't really try to stop it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.