Getting right processor speed on K7S6A

I've just bought a K7S6A and the 1.4 GHz Athlon that's installed in it runs
at 1.04 GHz according to Windows. Now, I know the problem is probably down
to that bank of multiplier jumpers on the board but I have no idea which
setting to use. Could someone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Erik

flipper

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:01:50 +0100, "Erik Jälevik"
<erik.jalevikDELETE@ntlworld.THIScom> wrote:

>I've just bought a K7S6A and the 1.4 GHz Athlon that's installed in it runs
>at 1.04 GHz according to Windows. Now, I know the problem is probably down
>to that bank of multiplier jumpers on the board but I have no idea which
>setting to use. Could someone enlighten me?
>
>Thanks,
>Erik

It defaults to 100MHz FSB. Set it to 133.

"Erik Jälevik" <erik.jalevikDELETE@ntlworld.THIScom> wrote in message

" I've just bought a K7S6A and the 1.4 GHz Athlon that's installed in it
runs at 1.04 GHz according to Windows. Now, I know the problem is probably
down to that bank of multiplier jumpers on the board but I have no idea
which setting to use. Could someone enlighten me? "

The Thunderbird 'B' gets its 1.4Ghz from a multiplier of 14 x the FSB of
100/100. The Thunderbird 'C' gets its 1.4Ghz from a multiplier of 10.5 x
the FSB of 133/133. What you have to do is figure out which of these you
have, and you should find this from the markings on the CPU. Just input
them into Google and you should be able to find the specs. It sounds as
though you have a Thunderbird 'C' that needs the motherboard set at 133/133
instead of 100/100, but it's always best to double-check.

You then need to figure out from the manual how to adjust the FSB on the
motherboard to that of your CPU. If you don't have a manual, then you can
find it at the following locations:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/dw_spec.asp?product_id=238
http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/manual_k7s.html

"flipper" <flipper@fish.net> wrote in message

> It defaults to 100MHz FSB. Set it to 133.

Yep, just realised this after I'd changed the multiplier setting to 10.5 and
the processor still was running at 1050 MHz.

So I found the CPU Host Clock setting. I've now set it to 133/133/33 MHz. I
know I've got PC 2100 RAM (which is 133 MHz isn't it) but as all three
numbers could be set separately, I'm not really sure all three are right.
Why would you want to set them differently?

Thanks,
Erik

flipper

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:47:45 +0100, "Erik Jälevik"
<erik.jalevikDELETE@ntlworld.THIScom> wrote:

>"flipper" <flipper@fish.net> wrote in message
>>
>> It defaults to 100MHz FSB. Set it to 133.
>
>Yep, just realised this after I'd changed the multiplier setting to 10.5 and
>the processor still was running at 1050 MHz.
>
>So I found the CPU Host Clock setting. I've now set it to 133/133/33 MHz. I
>know I've got PC 2100 RAM (which is 133 MHz isn't it) but as all three
>numbers could be set separately, I'm not really sure all three are right.

133/133/33 is right

>Why would you want to set them differently?

If you didn't have PC2100 RAM, as one example.

"Erik Jälevik" <erik.jalevikDELETE@ntlworld.THIScom> schreef in bericht
> "flipper" <flipper@fish.net> wrote in message
> >
> > It defaults to 100MHz FSB. Set it to 133.
>
> Yep, just realised this after I'd changed the multiplier setting to 10.5
and
> the processor still was running at 1050 MHz.
>
> So I found the CPU Host Clock setting. I've now set it to 133/133/33 MHz.
> know I've got PC 2100 RAM (which is 133 MHz isn't it) but as all three
> numbers could be set separately, I'm not really sure all three are right.
> Why would you want to set them differently?
>
> Thanks,
> Erik

if you have speedier ram idd, but it is not advised to that mostly.