Use router to selectively block file sharing on one of my ..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
February 16, 2005 10:34:51 AM

Machine 1: XP-Home, SP2
Machine 2: 98SE
Machine 3: 98SE
DSL Modem: Netopia Cayman 3341 (CenturyTel)
Router: Looking for recommendations

Situation: Recently went from dial-up on Machine 1 (which
provided ICS to Machine 2) to DSL on Machine 1.

Desired configuration:
DSL modem => Router w/Ethernet switch => Machines 1-3.
(Machines 1 & 2 will be wired via Ethernet; Machine 3 will be
wireless. So, I'm considering something like the Microsoft MN-700
for the router.) Machines 1-3 all need Internet access. Machines
1 & 2 need to have complete, unfettered file and printer sharing
with each other (entire hard drives fully shared). Machine 3
*must* be blocked from accessing the shared files and printers on
Machines 1 & 2.

How can this be accomplished? Can the router be configured to
selectively block one machine's access to another machine's
shared devices? Can some software firewall (ZoneAlarm, etc.) do
this?

Many, many thanks for any help you can provide this neophyte!

P.S. - If this is not an appropriate newsgroup for this query,
please point me to a better one.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:54:24 PM

What you would want to do is use firewall software on machines 1 and 2 to
block the IP address of machine 3.

"Roger" <router@SPAM_BE_GONE_capturingmemories.com> wrote in message
> Machine 1: XP-Home, SP2
> Machine 2: 98SE
> Machine 3: 98SE
> DSL Modem: Netopia Cayman 3341 (CenturyTel)
> Router: Looking for recommendations
>
> Situation: Recently went from dial-up on Machine 1 (which
> provided ICS to Machine 2) to DSL on Machine 1.
>
> Desired configuration:
> DSL modem => Router w/Ethernet switch => Machines 1-3.
> (Machines 1 & 2 will be wired via Ethernet; Machine 3 will be
> wireless. So, I'm considering something like the Microsoft MN-700
> for the router.) Machines 1-3 all need Internet access. Machines
> 1 & 2 need to have complete, unfettered file and printer sharing
> with each other (entire hard drives fully shared). Machine 3
> *must* be blocked from accessing the shared files and printers on
> Machines 1 & 2.
>
> How can this be accomplished? Can the router be configured to
> selectively block one machine's access to another machine's
> shared devices? Can some software firewall (ZoneAlarm, etc.) do
> this?
>
> Many, many thanks for any help you can provide this neophyte!
>
> P.S. - If this is not an appropriate newsgroup for this query,
> please point me to a better one.
February 16, 2005 11:01:24 PM

Hi

Since Routers are very inexpensive to day (some are $10-$20 on sale/rebate)
buy two Routers.

Connect one Router to the DSL Modem and connect computer 3 to it. Connect
the second Router’s WAN port to a regular port on the first Router and put
computer 1 and 2 on it.

Configure the segments as two independent Networks. All computers will be
able to access the Internet, but computer 3 will not access computers 1-2
since the Router NAT will block it. 1-2 would be able to access 3.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

!