Maxtor 160 Gb HD (6Y160P0) PIO Problem

New 160Gb Drive (6Y160P0), still remains in PIO mode -
Windows XP SP2, fresh install.
Tried all help from KB817472 - No Joy, changed cable
positions, problem follows drive. BIOS reports 160Gb
drive - UDMA5. Maxtor Utils report 160Gb Drive.
Cannot move the drive from PIO to UDMA.

Similar Maxtor Drive works, shows UDMA5. 5T060H6

Any suggestions please??

Thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about maxtor 6y160p0 problem

    Is there any other device on the same IDE cable?
    www.coribright.com

    "brandie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > New 160Gb Drive (6Y160P0), still remains in PIO mode -
    > Windows XP SP2, fresh install.
    > Tried all help from KB817472 - No Joy, changed cable
    > positions, problem follows drive. BIOS reports 160Gb
    > drive - UDMA5. Maxtor Utils report 160Gb Drive.
    > Cannot move the drive from PIO to UDMA.
    >
    > Similar Maxtor Drive works, shows UDMA5. 5T060H6
    >
    > Any suggestions please??
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes, another Maxtor 60Gb (5T060H6)- Shows up as UDMA 5
    Tried without extra HD, 160Gb HD still locked in PIO.

    Tried with another Brand New 160Gb Drive - Exactly same
    problem.

    Re-loaded Win XP SP1 from CD. Still shows as PIO,
    Upgraded with SP2 CD - Still PIO.

    Tried all positions on cable and with the 60Gb Drive,
    Changes to UDMA5. I suspect that Win XP can't recognise
    Maxtor chipset - Your Comments?

    I am really stumped on this one, and so are a lot of
    others with new 160Gb and 200Gb HD's

    Any more Ideas please.

    Hardware)
    >www.coribright.com
    >
    >"brandie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> New 160Gb Drive (6Y160P0), still remains in PIO mode -
    >> Windows XP SP2, fresh install.
    >> Tried all help from KB817472 - No Joy, changed cable
    >> positions, problem follows drive. BIOS reports 160Gb
    >> drive - UDMA5. Maxtor Utils report 160Gb Drive.
    >> Cannot move the drive from PIO to UDMA.
    >>
    >> Similar Maxtor Drive works, shows UDMA5. 5T060H6
    >>
    >> Any suggestions please??
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >.

    Try CS (Cable Select) and see if that makes a difference.

    > Yes, another Maxtor 60Gb (5T060H6)- Shows up as UDMA 5
    > Tried without extra HD, 160Gb HD still locked in PIO.
    >
    > Tried with another Brand New 160Gb Drive - Exactly same
    > problem.
    >
    > Re-loaded Win XP SP1 from CD. Still shows as PIO,
    > Upgraded with SP2 CD - Still PIO.
    >
    > Tried all positions on cable and with the 60Gb Drive,
    > Changes to UDMA5. I suspect that Win XP can't recognise
    > Maxtor chipset - Your Comments?
    >
    > I am really stumped on this one, and so are a lot of
    > others with new 160Gb and 200Gb HD's
    >
    > Any more Ideas please.

    Two (desperate) thoughts:
    1. During setup did to format to one 160 GB partition or more than one (all
    under 137 GB)?
    2. Could this be a motherboard limitation (ie a 32bit IDE channel and not a
    48 bit as is supposedly required to support over 137 GB)?

    In my situation I added a Western Digital 160GB HDD via a Promise
    Ultra100TX2 IDE card. With the Maxtor you would probably want the
    Ultra133TX2 to match the drive speed.

    r.

    "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > Try CS (Cable Select) and see if that makes a difference.
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "brandie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, another Maxtor 60Gb (5T060H6)- Shows up as UDMA 5
    >> Tried without extra HD, 160Gb HD still locked in PIO.
    >>
    >> Tried with another Brand New 160Gb Drive - Exactly same
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> Re-loaded Win XP SP1 from CD. Still shows as PIO,
    >> Upgraded with SP2 CD - Still PIO.
    >>
    >> Tried all positions on cable and with the 60Gb Drive,
    >> Changes to UDMA5. I suspect that Win XP can't recognise
    >> Maxtor chipset - Your Comments?
    >>
    >> I am really stumped on this one, and so are a lot of
    >> others with new 160Gb and 200Gb HD's
    >>
    >> Any more Ideas please.

    No difference at all I'm afraid.

    1. Two partions 80Gb each
    2. How could I check for certain whether it is 32 or
    48bit?

    Many thanks for your comments

    Motherboard manual if you have it otherwise visit manufacturers website for
    e-manual download (pdf file).

    One other thought. Have you gone to the motherboard manuf website to see if
    BIOS and Chipset drivers are available. This may help your situation.
    Backup data before doing any updates!!!

    My motherboard is MSI:
    http://www.msicomputer.com/support/TechSupport.asp

    If yours is MSI then look for a utility update program called MSI Live
    Monitor.

    r.

    > 1. Two partions 80Gb each
    > 2. How could I check for certain whether it is 32 or
    > 48bit?
    >
    > Many thanks for your comments

    Went to mfr site. Confirms that the BIOS correctly
    supports 48bit LBA.
    My motherboard is Asustek A7A266 with AMD Athlon 1400 CPU
    No other drivers appear to be available. I have Bios 12.

    Last thought for now:

    Is the ribbon cable connecting the 160 GB have 80 or 40 wires (one wire is
    per each little rib in the cable). It should be 80 wire cable (40
    conductors, 40 ground wires).

    r.

    > Went to mfr site. Confirms that the BIOS correctly
    > supports 48bit LBA.
    > My motherboard is Asustek A7A266 with AMD Athlon 1400 CPU
    > No other drivers appear to be available. I have Bios 12.

    It is an 80 wire cable. Cable OK, tried with other drives.

    Thanks for all your suggestions Namniar, much appreciated.

    Think this is a quick fix
    see if it helps
    email me if it works pder90@shaw.ca
    go to your ide ata/aatapi controllers
    there should be 2 controllers
    click on the corresponding controller and update it.
    window will ask to connect to window update... no
    install from a list advance
    don't search. i will choose the driver to install
    select intel ultra ata storage controllers -24db
    restart and you are at ultra dma 5.. but faster
    all done... don't forget to mail me if it helped

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:54:15 -0700, "brandie"

    >New 160Gb Drive (6Y160P0), still remains in PIO mode -
    >Windows XP SP2, fresh install.
    >Tried all help from KB817472 - No Joy, changed cable
    >positions, problem follows drive. BIOS reports 160Gb
    >drive - UDMA5. Maxtor Utils report 160Gb Drive.
    >Cannot move the drive from PIO to UDMA.
    >
    >Similar Maxtor Drive works, shows UDMA5. 5T060H6
    >
    >Any suggestions please??
    >
    >Thanks.

    Hi All ,

    Is this problem fixed?

    I think i have tried all the things mentioned on this thread already ,
    but still no lucks ,if you have already fixed this please share it with
    me.

    I'm so in the trouble with this harddisk.

    Best Regards,
    Penny2524

    --
    penny2524