SYNTAX board opinions, please...

I am looking at this deal

http://www.ateck.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=453056181

It is for a Syntax SV266A board with an XP 2400+ for $108 US. I am
considering using the 2400+ in my K7S5A v3.1 and putting my Duron 1.3G in
the Syntax with some SDRAM as an upgrade to my 10 year old son's homework
and internet machine (his current machine already has the SDRAM, and I'll be
swapping mine for some DDR at the show this weekend).

Seems like an inexpensive way to give both machines a boost. His gets light
use and mine gets beat on heavily.

Any opinions on Syntax boards in general or this one in particular?

thanks!

I you are going to do some system upgrades, checkout the refurb mobos
at newegg.com, there are some great deals there.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Ralph D." <raldonn2@usaor.net> wrote in message
| I am looking at this deal
|
| http://www.ateck.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=453056181
|

| It is for a Syntax SV266A board with an XP 2400+ for $108 US. I am
| considering using the 2400+ in my K7S5A v3.1 and putting my Duron
1.3G in
| the Syntax with some SDRAM as an upgrade to my 10 year old son's
homework
| and internet machine (his current machine already has the SDRAM, and
I'll be
| swapping mine for some DDR at the show this weekend).
|
| Seems like an inexpensive way to give both machines a boost. His
gets light
| use and mine gets beat on heavily.
|
| Any opinions on Syntax boards in general or this one in particular?
|

| thanks!

The Syntax is a good board, I have several running without problems. I would
put the XP2400 in this board rather than the Duron, because you may well
have problems upgrading your K7S5A to run at 133/133 especially as it is a
Rev. 3.1. If your K7S5A is running stable with the Duron, I would leave it
that way!

The only things I would say about the Syntax /XP2400 combo is that it is not
terribly cheap (it would be cheaper to buy this combo in the UK, which is
unusual) and also the motherboard CD is a bit of a nightmare to use and
setting the Syntax board up is not really for first-timers because of this.

Ralph D. wrote:
> I am looking at this deal
>
> http://www.ateck.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=453056181
>

> It is for a Syntax SV266A board with an XP 2400+ for $108 US. I am
> considering using the 2400+ in my K7S5A v3.1 and putting my Duron
> 1.3G in the Syntax with some SDRAM as an upgrade to my 10 year old
> son's homework and internet machine (his current machine already has
> the SDRAM, and I'll be swapping mine for some DDR at the show this
> weekend).
>
> Seems like an inexpensive way to give both machines a boost. His gets
> light use and mine gets beat on heavily.
>
> Any opinions on Syntax boards in general or this one in particular?
>

> thanks!

Tigerdirect.com has this board for $9.99 after rebate