Window XP won't turn off by itself....

I Just formatted my HD and clean-installed win XP PRO,
and I encountered 2 little problems: the system hangs for
a short while with blackout screen right before the XP
logo with black background appears (appx 20 seconds),
then it wil continue. And when I shutdown the system, it
show the screen "It's safe now to turn off the system",
but it doesn't turn off by itself like other Window
versions. If anyone know please help! Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about window turn itself

    It used to show this for old AT Motherboard based computers, but all ATX
    motherboards now support XP turning the computer off. You can try Off
    on the left hand side of number 76 at

    This happened to me once, but I simply reinstalled Windows and that
    fixed the problem. You may want to check the settings in the BIOS and
    make sure ACPI support is enabled as well.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Lewis wrote:
    > I Just formatted my HD and clean-installed win XP PRO,
    > and I encountered 2 little problems: the system hangs for
    > a short while with blackout screen right before the XP
    > logo with black background appears (appx 20 seconds),
    > then it wil continue. And when I shutdown the system, it
    > show the screen "It's safe now to turn off the system",
    > but it doesn't turn off by itself like other Window
    > versions. If anyone know please help! Thanks.

    I tried twice, unsuccessfully to install XP 2, and now my XP home version
    will not auto turn off like it used to...If you get an answer to your query,
    I would like to know it1

    "Lewis" wrote:

    > I Just formatted my HD and clean-installed win XP PRO,
    > and I encountered 2 little problems: the system hangs for
    > a short while with blackout screen right before the XP
    > logo with black background appears (appx 20 seconds),
    > then it wil continue. And when I shutdown the system, it
    > show the screen "It's safe now to turn off the system",
    > but it doesn't turn off by itself like other Window
    > versions. If anyone know please help! Thanks.

    It is easy to fix. Some motherboards do not tell Windows XP to allow it to
    power off the system.

    To fix:

    1) Click on "start"
    2) Click on "Control Panel"
    3) Click on "Power Options"
    4) There should now be an section wher there is an option "Use
    APM....". The option should be check on.
    Your XP should now power off when shutting down.

    Y.

    "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I tried twice, unsuccessfully to install XP 2, and now my XP home version
    > will not auto turn off like it used to...If you get an answer to your
    > query,
    > I would like to know it1
    >
    > "Lewis" wrote:
    >
    >> I Just formatted my HD and clean-installed win XP PRO,
    >> and I encountered 2 little problems: the system hangs for
    >> a short while with blackout screen right before the XP
    >> logo with black background appears (appx 20 seconds),
    >> then it wil continue. And when I shutdown the system, it
    >> show the screen "It's safe now to turn off the system",
    >> but it doesn't turn off by itself like other Window
    >> versions. If anyone know please help! Thanks.

    Sound good, but my Power Options GUI doesn't have such a checkbox. (I've
    searching for it, and in the BIOS) I have XP Pro, again just re-installed. XP
    did it on the old motherboard and Win98 does it on the same board as I have
    now. So whats going on?

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:

    > It is easy to fix. Some motherboards do not tell Windows XP to allow it to
    > power off the system.
    >
    > To fix:
    >
    > 1) Click on "start"
    > 2) Click on "Control Panel"
    > 3) Click on "Power Options"
    > 4) There should now be an section wher there is an option "Use
    > APM....". The option should be check on.
    > Your XP should now power off when shutting down.
    >
    > Y.
    >
    > "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I tried twice, unsuccessfully to install XP 2, and now my XP home version
    > > will not auto turn off like it used to...If you get an answer to your
    > > query,
    > > I would like to know it1
    > >
    > > "Lewis" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I Just formatted my HD and clean-installed win XP PRO,
    > >> and I encountered 2 little problems: the system hangs for
    > >> a short while with blackout screen right before the XP
    > >> logo with black background appears (appx 20 seconds),
    > >> then it wil continue. And when I shutdown the system, it
    > >> show the screen "It's safe now to turn off the system",
    > >> but it doesn't turn off by itself like other Window
    > >> versions. If anyone know please help! Thanks.

    Hi

    Please try the following links to Jim Eshelman's web
    site:

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/tshoot.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Marconi" <Marconi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sound good, but my Power Options GUI doesn't have such a checkbox. (I've
    > searching for it, and in the BIOS) I have XP Pro, again just re-installed.
    > XP
    > did it on the old motherboard and Win98 does it on the same board as I
    > have
    > now. So whats going on?
    >
    > "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
    >
    >> It is easy to fix. Some motherboards do not tell Windows XP to allow it
    >> power off the system.
    >>
    >> To fix:
    >>
    >> 1) Click on "start"
    >> 2) Click on "Control Panel"
    >> 3) Click on "Power Options"
    >> 4) There should now be an section wher there is an option
    >> "Use
    >> APM....". The option should be check on.
    >> Your XP should now power off when shutting down.
    >>
    >> Y.
    >>
    >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I tried twice, unsuccessfully to install XP 2, and now my XP home
    >> >version
    >> > will not auto turn off like it used to...If you get an answer to your
    >> > query,
    >> > I would like to know it1

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP