Is my Intel board causing corruption in data?

Hi,
I bought a 160GB Western Digital HD during Christmas. The intend of
the HD is to put mostly media files. To cut a long story short, i
notice that the mp3's would jump around within a song. One time it
even jumps to another song for 5 seconds then jumps back! The problem
is not just bound to mp3's. And for those who thought I downloaded
them off kazaa, I didn't. And I'm certain that they were fine before.

So I thought it's a problem with the HD itself. I sent it back to WD
and they sent a refurbished drive to me. This was a few weeks ago. And
now I'm having the same problem again....I'm running XP Pro.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;331958#appliesto
i stumbled upon this link. I never set my computer to hibernate
though. But could this be the reason why it's causing corrupted files?
Do you know of other reasons which might cause file to get corrupted?
I've installed that patch already, by the way and I'm still getting
corrupted files with time.

Here are some testings results:
Ontrack EasyRecovery(TM) Professional v6.00 - DriveTests
Copyright) 2002 Ontrack Data International, Inc.
Report Created 4/12/2004 @ 12:21 AM
Test Selected: Full Diagnostic Test

Running Full Diagnostic Test...
Testing drive WDC WD1600JB-32EVA0...
I/O Error on sector 268435456.
I/O Error on sector 279647232.
I/O Error on sector 279647233.
I/O Error on sector 279647234.
I/O Error on sector 279647235.
I/O Error on sector 279647236.
I/O Error on sector 279647237.
I/O Error on sector 279647238.
I/O Error on sector 279647239.
I/O Error on sector 279647240.
Error count exceeded!

Test Results:
Model: WDC WD1600JB-32EVA0
Capacity: 149.05 GB
Full Diagnostic Test: Failed!

This is the result from the Extended Diagnostic Test (WD's Software)

TEST PASSED!
Congratulations! The Data Lifeguard Diagnositc utility has determined
that your hard drive is functioning properly. If you still encounter
problems on your hard drive that you feel were not identified in the
Data Lifeguard utility, please contact us for technical support.

The motherboard is an Intel D845WN. I've since downloaded the Intel
Application Accelerator & flashed my BIOS. However, I think I'm still
getting data corrupted as time passes. Is it a problem with the
motherboard or the OS? Anyone has any idea?

On 25 Apr 2004 20:17:48 -0700, sppamlui3sp1am@yahoo.com (P. Lui) wrote:

>I bought a 160GB Western Digital HD during Christmas. . To cut a long story short, i
>notice that the mp3's would jump around within a song. The problem
>is not just bound to mp3's. And I'm certain that they were fine before.

I know the answer to this one. You most likely need a new power supply.