K7VTA3 - Normal Operating Temperature Range

My K7S5A/Duron1.3 combo seems to have given up the ghost after 2 years of
constant CPU intensive mpeg2 encoding (guess I got my $75 out of it). Fry's
had a K7VTA3/AthlonXP2200 combo on sale for $59 awhile back so I had picked
that up planning to upgrade; looks like the time had come. The upgrade went
triple quick since you only have to add 1 extra screw down point to put in
the K7VTA3. Whenever I see a CPU/MB/RAM failure (this is my 1st, but I have
helped many friends through these) I always like to replace the PSU as well
so I purchased an Enermax Coolergiant 480W PSU. My question is: the program
motherboard monitor shows a range of temperatures all over the map for the
motherboard and the PSU teperatures; they seem to average somewhere in the
90'S°F but have transients as high as 141°F and as low as 41°F. Is this
within a normal operating range? What would be considered a typical range?
The CPU chugs along at a nice constant 89°F while the MB/PSU temperatures
fluctuate.

Rex

TopoRex <TopoRex@hotmail.com> wrote in

<SNIP>
> My question is: the program motherboard monitor shows a range
> of temperatures all over the map for the motherboard and the PSU
> teperatures; they seem to average somewhere in the 90'S°F but have
> transients as high as 141°F and as low as 41°F. Is this within a normal
> operating range? What would be considered a typical range? The CPU chugs
> along at a nice constant 89°F while the MB/PSU temperatures fluctuate.

I am using Motherboard Monitor (MBM, don't recall the version number) on a
K7VTA3 (version 6), and turned off monitoring the motherboard temperature
because it was all over the place, sometimes way up there, sometimes below
freezing! I don't recall the CPU temperature, but it was pretty constant
within one or two degrees C.

I don't know whether it is a motherboard problem, or that MBM isn't set up
correctly for the K7VTA3 version that I have. [If I recall, MBM
distinguishes between K7VTA3 versions below 1.3 and above 1.3]

--
Ian Shef 805/F6 * These are my personal opinions
Raytheon Company * and not those of my employer.