Any solution to repeatable hard drive file corruption on E..

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Has anyone come up with a solution to the "repeatable file corruption"
problem found on some ECS K7S5A motherboards (SiS 735) besides cutting
down the machine's speed?

I found I have this same problem and solved it by dropping my
FSB/memory speed from 133/133 to 100/100, but unfortunately this is a
very poor solution because my AMD XP 2000+ (1600 MHz) system is 25%
slower (1250 MHz) which is quite noticeable on some games.

Did any companies such as SiS or ECS release any drivers, new BIOS, or
patches which will fix this problem on Windows 2000? I looked at their
sites and couldn't find a single mention of this problem nor could I
find any solutions at ocworkbench.

I only have this problem when copying large amounts of data using
Windows Explorer onto NTFS partitions. With the FSB/memory speed at
133/133 I always get at least 1 file corruption per 30 GB copied (I
determine this by using Windiff on the files after copying them).
Interestingly, the problem doesn't seem to affect memory because my
machine never crashes or hangs. I never noticed this in years past
because I only used the machine for games until recently, plus I added
a WD 160 GB HD. At first I was suspicious the BIOS couldn't handle the
full 160 GB, but after swapping the 160 with a 120 and having the same
problems I knew it wasn't hard drive specific.

Would slowing down the hard drive transfer rate have the same effect
as cutting the speed from 133/133 to 100/100? I'd much prefer to slow
down my hard drive transfers a little than my CPU, but going to PIO 4
would be a bit too far. It's a pain to have to go into the BIOS and
switch back to 133/133 whenever I want to play a game, and then go
back to 100/100 when I want to do some file editing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated (preferably ones besides buying a
new mobo). Thanks.

cjt

John wrote:
> Has anyone come up with a solution to the "repeatable file corruption"
> problem found on some ECS K7S5A motherboards (SiS 735) besides cutting
> down the machine's speed?
>
> I found I have this same problem and solved it by dropping my
> FSB/memory speed from 133/133 to 100/100, but unfortunately this is a
> very poor solution because my AMD XP 2000+ (1600 MHz) system is 25%
> slower (1250 MHz) which is quite noticeable on some games.
>
> Did any companies such as SiS or ECS release any drivers, new BIOS, or
> patches which will fix this problem on Windows 2000? I looked at their
> sites and couldn't find a single mention of this problem nor could I
> find any solutions at ocworkbench.
>
> I only have this problem when copying large amounts of data using
> Windows Explorer onto NTFS partitions. With the FSB/memory speed at
> 133/133 I always get at least 1 file corruption per 30 GB copied (I
> determine this by using Windiff on the files after copying them).
> Interestingly, the problem doesn't seem to affect memory because my
> machine never crashes or hangs. I never noticed this in years past
> because I only used the machine for games until recently, plus I added
> a WD 160 GB HD. At first I was suspicious the BIOS couldn't handle the
> full 160 GB, but after swapping the 160 with a 120 and having the same
> problems I knew it wasn't hard drive specific.
>
> Would slowing down the hard drive transfer rate have the same effect
> as cutting the speed from 133/133 to 100/100? I'd much prefer to slow
> down my hard drive transfers a little than my CPU, but going to PIO 4
> would be a bit too far. It's a pain to have to go into the BIOS and
> switch back to 133/133 whenever I want to play a game, and then go
> back to 100/100 when I want to do some file editing.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated (preferably ones besides buying a
> new mobo). Thanks.

Have you run memtest on your memory?