DVD-RW drive wont work

We have a sony vaio PCV-RS410 that is only 9 months old. Aside from our
numerous other problem our dvd drive now won't work. We have taken it in a
few times and they say nothing is wrong, but it doesn't recognize dvd's and
won't write. Usually the response is no disc. Everything worked great, and
then we tried to copy some files to disc and now nothing works. Anyone have
any suggestions.

I have read that we can uninstall our dvd driver, but we are not sure how to
reinstall.

What software are you using to:

Play the DVD?
Burn to the DVD?
www.coribright.com

"mrstaffa" <mrstaffa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a sony vaio PCV-RS410 that is only 9 months old. Aside from our
> numerous other problem our dvd drive now won't work. We have taken it in
> few times and they say nothing is wrong, but it doesn't recognize dvd's
> and
> won't write. Usually the response is no disc. Everything worked great,
> and
> then we tried to copy some files to disc and now nothing works. Anyone
> have
> any suggestions.
>
> I have read that we can uninstall our dvd driver, but we are not sure how
> reinstall.

Try uninstalling them from Device Manager (Start-Run-devmgmt.msc) by
expanding CD\DVD Drives and right click on each and uninstall them.
Then reboot and it should reinstall them for you. If this fails, try
these suggestions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

----
Nathan McNulty

mrstaffa wrote:
> We have a sony vaio PCV-RS410 that is only 9 months old. Aside from our
> numerous other problem our dvd drive now won't work. We have taken it in a
> few times and they say nothing is wrong, but it doesn't recognize dvd's and
> won't write. Usually the response is no disc. Everything worked great, and
> then we tried to copy some files to disc and now nothing works. Anyone have
> any suggestions.
>
> I have read that we can uninstall our dvd driver, but we are not sure how to
> reinstall.

David

Please also see my new posting tonight regarding a Sony
Vaio. I believe it may be an incompatibility issue with
SP2. Soemone may post some ideas. PS: I have tried the
suggestions your correspondents have made - no joy!
David

Hardware)
>www.coribright.com
>
>"mrstaffa" <mrstaffa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
9A609CDE9236@microsoft.com...
>> We have a sony vaio PCV-RS410 that is only 9 months
old. Aside from our
>> numerous other problem our dvd drive now won't work.
We have taken it in
>> few times and they say nothing is wrong, but it
doesn't recognize dvd's
>> and
>> won't write. Usually the response is no disc.
Everything worked great,
>> and
>> then we tried to copy some files to disc and now
nothing works. Anyone
>> have
>> any suggestions.
>>
>> I have read that we can uninstall our dvd driver, but
we are not sure how
>> reinstall.
>>

>.

Any luck on the DVD playback? I have a sony laptop that stopped playing
dvd's after installing sp2. Please let me know if you found anything.