NVIDIA TNT2 and K7S5A????

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2004 7:48:40 PM

K7S5A v 3.1 multi-boot 98SE and XP Home

My SiS AGP315p 64M video card appears to have gone belly up, so I replaced
it with a TNT2 M64 32M AGP card I had laying around (Mfg, uncertain) and
popped it in. XP Home saw it OK, but I went to the NVIDIA site and grabbed
the new drivers anyhow and it worked great. My 98SE partition, however, only
saw it as a Standard Graphics VGA and gave it only 16 colors and such, but
it was stable.

After getting the new 98 drivers from the NVIDIA site, all I get are looping
reboots until I did a scanreg /restore. I now have the machine limping on an
SiS 6326 4Meg AGP that both OS seem to get along with, but this can't
continue.

Short term fix: Are there known compatibility issues with this TNT / K7S5A
98SE combo? Any workarounds?

Long term fix: What cheap, but high def cards (I work in Paint Shop with
many plug-ins) are known as solid with this board and both of these OS's
(Shep... I know that you for one have run both on this board, for instance)?
I need to resolve one or both of these issues soon, if possible, but am on
the bargain end of the cash spectrum.

I am considering this
http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku... but do not
know how it plays with this board and these OS's, not sure why it says 128M
on top and 64 below, and wish it had TV, Digital etc (but need to watch the
cash).

Any ideas appreciated.

thanks

ralph

--
Winter's just the curtain...
Spring will take the bow.

More about : nvidia tnt2 k7s5a

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2004 10:57:07 PM

"Ralph D." wrote:

> K7S5A v 3.1 multi-boot 98SE and XP Home
>
> My SiS AGP315p 64M video card appears to have gone belly up, so I replaced
> it with a TNT2 M64 32M AGP card I had laying around (Mfg, uncertain) and
> popped it in. XP Home saw it OK, but I went to the NVIDIA site and grabbed
> the new drivers anyhow and it worked great. My 98SE partition, however, only
> saw it as a Standard Graphics VGA and gave it only 16 colors and such, but
> it was stable.
>
> After getting the new 98 drivers from the NVIDIA site, all I get are looping
> reboots until I did a scanreg /restore. I now have the machine limping on an
> SiS 6326 4Meg AGP that both OS seem to get along with, but this can't
> continue.
>
> Short term fix: Are there known compatibility issues with this TNT / K7S5A
> 98SE combo? Any workarounds?
>
> Long term fix: What cheap, but high def cards (I work in Paint Shop with
> many plug-ins) are known as solid with this board and both of these OS's
> (Shep... I know that you for one have run both on this board, for instance)?
> I need to resolve one or both of these issues soon, if possible, but am on
> the bargain end of the cash spectrum.
>
> I am considering this
> http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku... but do not
> know how it plays with this board and these OS's, not sure why it says 128M
> on top and 64 below, and wish it had TV, Digital etc (but need to watch the
> cash).
>
> Any ideas appreciated.
>
> thanks
>
> ralph

Ralph,

You might try going to http://www.driverguide.com, and search for an
older Nvidia driver. I have a TNT2 AGP on another motherboard (not an
ECS), and had problems with the latest drivers from Nvidia. I found an
older driver on Driverguide, which fixed the problem.

Just a suggestion, but if you try it, can you please post back, as I'm
thinking of getting a K7S5A Pro myself...

Jim
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2004 1:01:02 AM

If you do get another card, spend $3 more and get the same 9100 that does
have TV out, etc.
Check on Pricewatch.com.
I use an 128MB Radeon8500LE from Sapphire that I am happy with.
Curious, did you install the Nvidia Drivers in Win98 AFTER uninstalling your
old vid card drivers?

"Ralph D." <raldonn2@usaor.net> wrote in message
> K7S5A v 3.1 multi-boot 98SE and XP Home
>

> My SiS AGP315p 64M video card appears to have gone belly up, so I replaced
> it with a TNT2 M64 32M AGP card I had laying around (Mfg, uncertain) and
> popped it in. XP Home saw it OK, but I went to the NVIDIA site and grabbed
> the new drivers anyhow and it worked great. My 98SE partition, however,
only
> saw it as a Standard Graphics VGA and gave it only 16 colors and such, but
> it was stable.
>
> After getting the new 98 drivers from the NVIDIA site, all I get are
looping
> reboots until I did a scanreg /restore. I now have the machine limping on
an
> SiS 6326 4Meg AGP that both OS seem to get along with, but this can't
> continue.
>
> Short term fix: Are there known compatibility issues with this TNT / K7S5A
> 98SE combo? Any workarounds?
>

> Long term fix: What cheap, but high def cards (I work in Paint Shop with
> many plug-ins) are known as solid with this board and both of these OS's
> (Shep... I know that you for one have run both on this board, for
instance)?
> I need to resolve one or both of these issues soon, if possible, but am on
> the bargain end of the cash spectrum.
>
> I am considering this
> http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku... but do
not
> know how it plays with this board and these OS's, not sure why it says
128M
> on top and 64 below, and wish it had TV, Digital etc (but need to watch
the
> cash).
>

> Any ideas appreciated.
>

> thanks
>
> ralph
>

> --
> Winter's just the curtain...
> Spring will take the bow.
> Richard Shindell

a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2004 4:24:11 AM

Decided to leave the sleeping dog lie, STS. The 32M card won't do what I
need... so there's no need to chance buggering the system worse over drivers
I'll uninstall in a few days anyhow.

"ohaya" <ohaya_NO_SPAM@NO_SPAM_cox.net> wrote in message

> "Ralph D." wrote:
> >
> > K7S5A v 3.1 multi-boot 98SE and XP Home
> >
> > My SiS AGP315p 64M video card appears to have gone belly up, so I
replaced
> > it with a TNT2 M64 32M AGP card I had laying around (Mfg, uncertain) and
> > popped it in. XP Home saw it OK, but I went to the NVIDIA site and
grabbed
> > the new drivers anyhow and it worked great. My 98SE partition, however,
only
> > saw it as a Standard Graphics VGA and gave it only 16 colors and such,
but
> > it was stable.
> >
> > After getting the new 98 drivers from the NVIDIA site, all I get are
looping
> > reboots until I did a scanreg /restore. I now have the machine limping
on an
> > SiS 6326 4Meg AGP that both OS seem to get along with, but this can't
> > continue.
> >
> > Short term fix: Are there known compatibility issues with this TNT /
K7S5A
> > 98SE combo? Any workarounds?
> >
> > Long term fix: What cheap, but high def cards (I work in Paint Shop with
> > many plug-ins) are known as solid with this board and both of these OS's
> > (Shep... I know that you for one have run both on this board, for
instance)?
> > I need to resolve one or both of these issues soon, if possible, but am
on
> > the bargain end of the cash spectrum.
> >
> > I am considering this
> > http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku... but do
not
> > know how it plays with this board and these OS's, not sure why it says
128M
> > on top and 64 below, and wish it had TV, Digital etc (but need to watch
the
> > cash).
> >
> > Any ideas appreciated.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > ralph
>

> Ralph,
>
> You might try going to http://www.driverguide.com, and search for an
> older Nvidia driver. I have a TNT2 AGP on another motherboard (not an
> ECS), and had problems with the latest drivers from Nvidia. I found an
> older driver on Driverguide, which fixed the problem.
>
> Just a suggestion, but if you try it, can you please post back, as I'm
> thinking of getting a K7S5A Pro myself...
>
> Jim
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2004 4:27:37 AM

Check this out:

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=3...
M3FPJHL9P8L0TGRUK1J2E99BAA2

Hope that wraps allright.

Seems to be the same card with DVI and TV for a dollar less... or am I
missing something? I need something that's cheap, gets along with both 98SE
and XP Home on a K7S5A ***and*** can handle very detail and render intensive
stuff with Paintshop that is running a gazillion Photoshop plug-ins.

I'm seriously thinking I will pull the trigger on this one.

ralph

--
Winter's just the curtain...
Spring will take the bow.

> If you do get another card, spend $3 more and get the same 9100 that does
> have TV out, etc.
> Check on Pricewatch.com.
> I use an 128MB Radeon8500LE from Sapphire that I am happy with.
> Curious, did you install the Nvidia Drivers in Win98 AFTER uninstalling
your
> old vid card drivers?
>

> "Ralph D." <raldonn2@usaor.net> wrote in message
> > K7S5A v 3.1 multi-boot 98SE and XP Home
> >

> > My SiS AGP315p 64M video card appears to have gone belly up, so I
replaced
> > it with a TNT2 M64 32M AGP card I had laying around (Mfg, uncertain) and
> > popped it in. XP Home saw it OK, but I went to the NVIDIA site and
grabbed
> > the new drivers anyhow and it worked great. My 98SE partition, however,
> only
> > saw it as a Standard Graphics VGA and gave it only 16 colors and such,
but
> > it was stable.
> >
> > After getting the new 98 drivers from the NVIDIA site, all I get are
> looping
> > reboots until I did a scanreg /restore. I now have the machine limping
on
> an
> > SiS 6326 4Meg AGP that both OS seem to get along with, but this can't
> > continue.
> >
> > Short term fix: Are there known compatibility issues with this TNT /
K7S5A
> > 98SE combo? Any workarounds?
> >

> > Long term fix: What cheap, but high def cards (I work in Paint Shop with
> > many plug-ins) are known as solid with this board and both of these OS's
> > (Shep... I know that you for one have run both on this board, for
> instance)?
> > I need to resolve one or both of these issues soon, if possible, but am
on
> > the bargain end of the cash spectrum.
> >
> > I am considering this
> > http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku... but do
> not
> > know how it plays with this board and these OS's, not sure why it says
> 128M
> > on top and 64 below, and wish it had TV, Digital etc (but need to watch
> the
> > cash).
> >

> > Any ideas appreciated.
> >

> > thanks
> >
> > ralph
> >

> > --
> > Winter's just the curtain...
> > Spring will take the bow.
> > Richard Shindell

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2004 6:12:03 PM

My k7s5a pro ver 5.0 is running the NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 in winme
and win2k just fine, driver version 4.5.2.3
PJ

!