How does KOTOR stack up against JA and Outcast?

Archived from groups: alt.games.jedi-knight (More info?)

I remember seeing some guy playing it at a LAN (on his PC) party and the
graphics looked bad (at least relative to Jedi Knight: Outcase or JA). Is it
all third person?

"Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
> I remember seeing some guy playing it at a LAN (on his PC) party and the
> graphics looked bad (at least relative to Jedi Knight: Outcase or JA). Is
it
> all third person?
> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

The graphics are not really as good, but they are not bad - you just tweak
the settings for your PC.

But that is the least of the differences.

KotOR is a RPG, meaning that you do not 'aim', you select an attack and your
hit/miss and damage are based on the d20 system.

However, the story, and all the quests and stuff to do in KotOR are what
have made it a big hit even among non-RPGers. It is truly a great game of
epic sweep.

Mike

Archived from groups: alt.games.jedi-knight (More info?)

So there really isn't any skill in lightsabre duels at all then. That bites,
hard.

> So there really isn't any skill in lightsabre duels at all then. That
bites,
> hard.

Well, it is more strategy in approaching a battle than skill in a duel.

KotOR is an awesome, epic game. It is not in any way an 'action' game in
the aim and shoot (or swing) style.

Mike

"Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
> > So there really isn't any skill in lightsabre duels at all then. That
> bites,
> > hard.
> >

> Well, it is more strategy in approaching a battle than skill in a duel.
>
> KotOR is an awesome, epic game. It is not in any way an 'action' game in
> the aim and shoot (or swing) style.
>
> Mike

I have just brought KotOR a couple of days ago and i cant stop playing it, i
think its great altho i havnt play JK so i guess im a bit biased at this
stage.

darth_ramoth

Archived from groups: alt.games.jedi-knight (More info?)

Mike, I'd think lightsaber duels that don't require player skillz would be
really boring. For example, I can kick ass against most of the bots in Jedi
Outcast or JA but there are some human players that are just unreal.

>Well, it is more strategy in approaching a battle than skill in a duel.
>
>KotOR is an awesome, epic game. It is not in any way an 'action' game in
>the aim and shoot (or swing) style.
>
>Mike

Archived from groups: alt.games.jedi-knight (More info?)

I got KOTOR for the X Box, and IMHO, i believe and feel it is no where near
as good as JA or JO, i found the graphics very nice, and the game play and
story line was quite good, just i've realised that i definately don't like
RPG games!

"Paul Cotgrave" <PAUL@NOSPAM4me.com> wrote in message
> <snip> just i've realised that i definately don't like
> RPG games!

That's the whole thing - if you don't like RPG's, you'll only get so far in
enjoying KotOR. If you like them, you'll likely think that it is one of the
best games ever.

Just like I know there are great RTS and tactical and other-genre games ...
I just don't like the genres.

Mike

> "Paul Cotgrave" <PAUL@NOSPAM4me.com> wrote in message
> > <snip> just i've realised that i definately don't like
> > RPG games!
> >

> That's the whole thing - if you don't like RPG's, you'll only get so far
in
> enjoying KotOR. If you like them, you'll likely think that it is one of
the
> best games ever.
>
> Just like I know there are great RTS and tactical and other-genre games
> I just don't like the genres.
>
> Mike

I finally got my hands on a copy of JA on friday and I have to admit im not
a great lover of FPS, I do prefer a good RPG or RTS anyday.

I found JA good but IMHO I liked KotOR so much more, so much more infact
that i clocked it twice within the first week and a half of owning it,
needless to say i was suffering from a major lack of sleep that week.

I found the story line much more engaging in KotOR the in JA and the general
playability was better as well but as I said earlier im quite impartial
towards RPGs.

anyway thats my 2 cents worth

Darth Ramoth

"Darth Ramoth" <darth_ramoth@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> I found JA good but IMHO I liked KotOR so much more, so much more infact
> that i clocked it twice within the first week and a half of owning it,
> needless to say i was suffering from a major lack of sleep that week.

I played it back-to-back as well ... took longer than a week for me, though
;) I tend to clock ~60+ hours per play (I've played through 4 times now and
am starting a 5th).

> I found the story line much more engaging in KotOR the in JA and the
general

Find a RPG with a story that is *not* more engaging and deep than any FPS
and I'll show you a new set of coasters ;) Seriously, a good FPS is at best
like a short story, whereas a good RPG should be like an epic novel.

Mike

> "Darth Ramoth" <darth_ramoth@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> > I found JA good but IMHO I liked KotOR so much more, so much more infact
> > that i clocked it twice within the first week and a half of owning it,
> > needless to say i was suffering from a major lack of sleep that week.
> >

> I played it back-to-back as well ... took longer than a week for me,
though
> ;) I tend to clock ~60+ hours per play (I've played through 4 times now
and
> am starting a 5th).
>
> > I found the story line much more engaging in KotOR the in JA and the
> general
>
> Find a RPG with a story that is *not* more engaging and deep than any FPS
> and I'll show you a new set of coasters ;) Seriously, a good FPS is at
best
> like a short story, whereas a good RPG should be like an epic novel.
>
> Mike

I never thought of it like that before, and now that you mention it that
sounds right, most of the rpg that i have played in the past have been
pretty in depth with the story line.

darth ramoth