Windows XP Wireless Problem with Orinoco Cards

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
February 16, 2005 5:56:08 AM

I have two separate Sony laptops running Windows XP. One (an SRX-87) has
wireless built in (apparently an internal Orinico card). The other laptop
(an R505TL) has an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card.

Both computers were working fine until about 2-3 weeks ago. The wireless
connections were working OK, except for the occasional disconnects that
everyone seems to be seeing.

Then, the wireless capabilities on both computers quit working. It's not my
access point, as the computers don't seem to work with any access points.

The symptoms are almost identical on both machines. In particular, when I
click on View Available Wireless Networks, no networks are visible. When I
click on Refresh Network List, the list is not refreshed. Note: When the
laptops were working, clicking on Refresh would cause a 20-30 second scan
while windows was looking for networks. Now I barely see a flash, and no
scan seems to be happening at all.

I have a VERY strong suspicion that a recent Windows Update may have
corrupted my system. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might
be????

Thanks,
--
Mike Schumann

More about : windows wireless problem orinoco cards

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 16, 2005 12:49:58 PM

Hi, Mike -

One of the things that just about everyone in networking is trying to
encourage is for people who manage wireless networks to switch their access
points from "Broadcast SSID Enabled" to "Broadcast SSID Disabled" for
security purposes.

If this is done then the wireless network does NOT show up in a Available
Wireless Networks list unless you already know the SSID and manually add it
to the list.

Could this be what happened to you?

--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have two separate Sony laptops running Windows XP. One (an SRX-87) has
>wireless built in (apparently an internal Orinico card). The other laptop
>(an R505TL) has an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card.
>
> Both computers were working fine until about 2-3 weeks ago. The wireless
> connections were working OK, except for the occasional disconnects that
> everyone seems to be seeing.
>
> Then, the wireless capabilities on both computers quit working. It's not
> my access point, as the computers don't seem to work with any access
> points.
>
> The symptoms are almost identical on both machines. In particular, when I
> click on View Available Wireless Networks, no networks are visible. When
> I click on Refresh Network List, the list is not refreshed. Note: When
> the laptops were working, clicking on Refresh would cause a 20-30 second
> scan while windows was looking for networks. Now I barely see a flash,
> and no scan seems to be happening at all.
>
> I have a VERY strong suspicion that a recent Windows Update may have
> corrupted my system. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might
> be????
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Mike Schumann

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 16, 2005 1:19:20 PM

No, that's not the problem. SSID broadcast is enabled, not just on my
Access Point, but 3 others in the immediate neighborhood that I should be
able to see.

Mike Schumann

"WLW" <WLW@EZine.Com> wrote in message
> Hi, Mike -
>
> One of the things that just about everyone in networking is trying to
> encourage is for people who manage wireless networks to switch their
> access points from "Broadcast SSID Enabled" to "Broadcast SSID Disabled"
> for security purposes.
>
> If this is done then the wireless network does NOT show up in a Available
> Wireless Networks list unless you already know the SSID and manually add
> it to the list.
>
> Could this be what happened to you?
>
> --
> William L. Whipple
> WWW.EZine.Com
>

> "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have two separate Sony laptops running Windows XP. One (an SRX-87) has
>>wireless built in (apparently an internal Orinico card). The other laptop
>>(an R505TL) has an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card.
>>
>> Both computers were working fine until about 2-3 weeks ago. The wireless
>> connections were working OK, except for the occasional disconnects that
>> everyone seems to be seeing.
>>
>> Then, the wireless capabilities on both computers quit working. It's not
>> my access point, as the computers don't seem to work with any access
>> points.
>>
>> The symptoms are almost identical on both machines. In particular, when
>> I click on View Available Wireless Networks, no networks are visible.
>> When I click on Refresh Network List, the list is not refreshed. Note:
>> When the laptops were working, clicking on Refresh would cause a 20-30
>> second scan while windows was looking for networks. Now I barely see a
>> flash, and no scan seems to be happening at all.
>>
>> I have a VERY strong suspicion that a recent Windows Update may have
>> corrupted my system. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might
>> be????
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Mike Schumann

a b F Wireless
February 16, 2005 1:53:36 PM

Hi, Mike -

If it was an O/S or Driver update that is causing the problem I would expect
to see a flood of people with the same wireless cards having the same
problem start on the same day that the update was posted.

If the wireless was working from multiple access points and on wireless
computers at your site, and then suddenly stopped on all at once without the
SSID Broadcast being disabled or other configurations changing, then you MAY
have an interference problem.

To figure this one out you need to do some troubleshooting.

First, just try switching the access points and laptops to a different
channel. You may have to try more than one alternative channel, I have seen
things like microwave ovens and refrigerators take out 3 or 4 channels.

You can try to verify if the laptops are still working on wireless and if
the access points are still working as well. You could take one of the
laptops to a known good wireless network elsewhere and check to see if it
can see the wireless there. Possibly take one of the access points and a
laptop home or some other place and see if the laptop can see the access
point there. If they work fine somewhere else then you are probably
experiencing interference where they don't work.

Another thing you might try is to set both laptops to talk to each other
instead of to the access points and see if they can see any signal.

Hope this helps,
--

> No, that's not the problem. SSID broadcast is enabled, not just on my
> Access Point, but 3 others in the immediate neighborhood that I should be
> able to see.
>
> Mike Schumann
>
> "WLW" <WLW@EZine.Com> wrote in message
>> Hi, Mike -
>>
>> One of the things that just about everyone in networking is trying to
>> encourage is for people who manage wireless networks to switch their
>> access points from "Broadcast SSID Enabled" to "Broadcast SSID Disabled"
>> for security purposes.
>>
>> If this is done then the wireless network does NOT show up in a Available
>> Wireless Networks list unless you already know the SSID and manually add
>> it to the list.
>>
>> Could this be what happened to you?
>>
>> --
>> William L. Whipple
>> WWW.EZine.Com
>>

>> "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I have two separate Sony laptops running Windows XP. One (an SRX-87) has
>>>wireless built in (apparently an internal Orinico card). The other
>>>laptop (an R505TL) has an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card.
>>>
>>> Both computers were working fine until about 2-3 weeks ago. The
>>> wireless connections were working OK, except for the occasional
>>> disconnects that everyone seems to be seeing.
>>>
>>> Then, the wireless capabilities on both computers quit working. It's
>>> not my access point, as the computers don't seem to work with any access
>>> points.
>>>
>>> The symptoms are almost identical on both machines. In particular, when
>>> I click on View Available Wireless Networks, no networks are visible.
>>> When I click on Refresh Network List, the list is not refreshed. Note:
>>> When the laptops were working, clicking on Refresh would cause a 20-30
>>> second scan while windows was looking for networks. Now I barely see a
>>> flash, and no scan seems to be happening at all.
>>>
>>> I have a VERY strong suspicion that a recent Windows Update may have
>>> corrupted my system. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might
>>> be????
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> Mike Schumann

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 16, 2005 5:59:11 PM

try restoring to the point before you did your updates. I really dont think
the update is causing the problem though.

And as far as your comment about everyone experiencing disconnects. I have
had a wireless network since 1998, using Proxims HRF protocol, then moves to
HRF2.0 then to 802.11b and eventually 802.11g and have yet to EVER
experience an unexplained disconnect.

Robert....

"Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have two separate Sony laptops running Windows XP. One (an SRX-87) has
>wireless built in (apparently an internal Orinico card). The other laptop
>(an R505TL) has an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card.
>
> Both computers were working fine until about 2-3 weeks ago. The wireless
> connections were working OK, except for the occasional disconnects that
> everyone seems to be seeing.
>
> Then, the wireless capabilities on both computers quit working. It's not
> my access point, as the computers don't seem to work with any access
> points.
>
> The symptoms are almost identical on both machines. In particular, when I
> click on View Available Wireless Networks, no networks are visible. When
> I click on Refresh Network List, the list is not refreshed. Note: When
> the laptops were working, clicking on Refresh would cause a 20-30 second
> scan while windows was looking for networks. Now I barely see a flash,
> and no scan seems to be happening at all.
>
> I have a VERY strong suspicion that a recent Windows Update may have
> corrupted my system. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might
> be????
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Mike Schumann

February 16, 2005 10:54:18 PM

Hi

Wireless is a little tricky when it comes to debugging, since a simple cable
is replaced with rather complicated Electronic system.

Your problem might be Wireless related, or it can be Windows Network setting
related and not a wireless problem per-se. Check your Network settings.

If you have the capacity to try the computers on a Wired connection, it
might be easier to “Fix” the problem.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have two separate Sony laptops running Windows XP. One (an SRX-87) has
> wireless built in (apparently an internal Orinico card). The other laptop
> (an R505TL) has an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card.
>
> Both computers were working fine until about 2-3 weeks ago. The wireless
> connections were working OK, except for the occasional disconnects that
> everyone seems to be seeing.
>
> Then, the wireless capabilities on both computers quit working. It's not
my
> access point, as the computers don't seem to work with any access points.
>
> The symptoms are almost identical on both machines. In particular, when I
> click on View Available Wireless Networks, no networks are visible. When
> click on Refresh Network List, the list is not refreshed. Note: When the
> laptops were working, clicking on Refresh would cause a 20-30 second scan
> while windows was looking for networks. Now I barely see a flash, and no
> scan seems to be happening at all.
>
> I have a VERY strong suspicion that a recent Windows Update may have
> corrupted my system. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might
> be????
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Mike Schumann