Installing Hi-Speed USB 2.0 PCI Host Card: D.I.D. (Damsel ..

I purchased a 5-port USB PCI Host Card to upgrade my older USB. I keep
getting a message to upgrade because my scanner is a hi-speed device. The
directions for installling this card are not clear. It says to use the
"eject or unplug" icon in the system tray bar to eject the old card before
removing it from the PC. However, there is no such icon in my system tray.
What to do?

I have a Sony RX 752, Windows XP. I also want to install a sound card at
the same time and disable my Sis 650/740. But I need to know about ejecting
the old USB port before I open my computer up. The instructions say that if
I do not do that, I can damage the hard drive and/or the USB devices.

Please advise and thank you!
7 answers Last reply
More about installing speed host card damsel

    The eject you are speaking of is the Safely Remove Hardware icon that
    appears in the system tray. This only needs to be used when removing
    external USB devices that are not Optimized for Quick Removal. Once you
    turn the computer off, this is no longer necessary as it does the
    function for you when Windows is shutting down.

    You are saying you want to install the new USB 2.0 PCI Card? That can
    be done by just turning off the PC, open it up, push it into the PCI
    slot, and screw it in. While you're at it, you might as well stick the
    sound card in one of the PCI slots, screw it in, and close up the
    computer. Once you turn it on, you may need to install the drivers if XP
    doesn't automatically do it for you.

    Last note, you may want to disable onboard sound in the BIOS once you
    have set up your new sound card ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    PNWgirl wrote:
    > I purchased a 5-port USB PCI Host Card to upgrade my older USB. I keep
    > getting a message to upgrade because my scanner is a hi-speed device. The
    > directions for installling this card are not clear. It says to use the
    > "eject or unplug" icon in the system tray bar to eject the old card before
    > removing it from the PC. However, there is no such icon in my system tray.
    > What to do?
    >
    > I have a Sony RX 752, Windows XP. I also want to install a sound card at
    > the same time and disable my Sis 650/740. But I need to know about ejecting
    > the old USB port before I open my computer up. The instructions say that if
    > I do not do that, I can damage the hard drive and/or the USB devices.
    >
    > Please advise and thank you!

    Thank you, Nathan, for such a quick response. Yes, I want to install both
    cards, but the instructions threw me when it said I should eject first before
    taking out the old USB card. I assume that is what I have to do, is that
    right? I should take out the 1.1 USB card and replace it with the 2.0 USB
    card?

    Also, I hope I bought the right card. It says "host card." Is there a
    difference? Thanks again. I am at peace with the sound card installation,
    but am worried about the USB installation. I don't need problems right now
    as I am taking an online class. Thanks again for your help.

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > The eject you are speaking of is the Safely Remove Hardware icon that
    > appears in the system tray. This only needs to be used when removing
    > external USB devices that are not Optimized for Quick Removal. Once you
    > turn the computer off, this is no longer necessary as it does the
    > function for you when Windows is shutting down.
    >
    > You are saying you want to install the new USB 2.0 PCI Card? That can
    > be done by just turning off the PC, open it up, push it into the PCI
    > slot, and screw it in. While you're at it, you might as well stick the
    > sound card in one of the PCI slots, screw it in, and close up the
    > computer. Once you turn it on, you may need to install the drivers if XP
    > doesn't automatically do it for you.
    >
    > Last note, you may want to disable onboard sound in the BIOS once you
    > have set up your new sound card ;)
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > PNWgirl wrote:
    > > I purchased a 5-port USB PCI Host Card to upgrade my older USB. I keep
    > > getting a message to upgrade because my scanner is a hi-speed device. The
    > > directions for installling this card are not clear. It says to use the
    > > "eject or unplug" icon in the system tray bar to eject the old card before
    > > removing it from the PC. However, there is no such icon in my system tray.
    > > What to do?
    > >
    > > I have a Sony RX 752, Windows XP. I also want to install a sound card at
    > > the same time and disable my Sis 650/740. But I need to know about ejecting
    > > the old USB port before I open my computer up. The instructions say that if
    > > I do not do that, I can damage the hard drive and/or the USB devices.
    > >
    > > Please advise and thank you!

    Concerning new "Soundcard" installation - your advice is certainly correct
    for some, not for all (unless you know more than I've been able to find).
    Just yesterday I added a new Creative Audigy Live! sound card, replacing the
    on-board CMI8738/C3DX sound chip on my Asus A7V266-E m/b - having RTFM
    carefully, it too said "disable sound chip - read motherboard manual"
    (which I don't have).
    (Reason for upgrade - CMI8738 driver did not give enhanced mic. support - I
    need mic audio file in PPT presentation.)

    I went to BIOS - there's absolutely NOTHING in the BIOS that I can find (and
    I tried every screen) to disable sound chip.
    My solution - in XP Device Manager, disabled the CMI8738 entry "in this
    configuration", installed the Audigy software and card, it seems to work.
    (Isn't this just as effective as pfaffing around in BIOS? Most users have
    only one configuration...an added thought)

    On the other hand, your knowledge far outweighs mine -
    I've only ever done this twice, and first time it was possible in BIOS. So,
    if you can point me to the BIOS setting in my m/b which needs disabling,
    I'll be grateful. It certainly isn't obvious - the only remotely relevant
    entry I found was something relating to AC97, which, when disabled, did
    nothing to affect the sound chip, so re-enabled it.
    Appreciate your thoughts ?
    Sincerely, Len