Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Hi i dont know if anyone can help me but here is hoping!!!

i have just bought a: (board) mvp3 p5
(chipset) via apollo mvp3
(cpu) amd k6-2
(bios) award
the problem i have is that i have tried to put in some memmory (256 pc-133
sdram) and all im getting is an error beep (single,repeating loop) i looked
at the error beep codes on awards web site and it says memmory problem :make
sure mem inserted....

The board has two types of mem slots simms and dimms. i dont have the proper
manual for the board but i did manage to download one but after reading it
im non the wiser so please help does anyone know if this board is a pc-133
or a pc-100 type mem??????????

thank you
phil

"phil" <kim.williams20@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

" The board has two types of mem slots simms and dimms. i dont have the
proper manual for the board but i did manage to download one but after
reading it. im non the wiser so please help does anyone know if this board
is a pc-133 or a pc-100 type mem?????????? "

According to http://www.ecsusa.com/products/socket7.html , there are two
different boards for the MVP3. Do you know which one it is? What K6-2 CPU
do you have? It should run on PC100 memory anyway; I think they all did.
If your PC133 DIMM is generic, then it might not clock down to PC100. Do
you have any means of testing each individual part? (motherboard, memory,
CPU etc...)

Cuzman wrote:

> "phil" <kim.williams20@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
> " The board has two types of mem slots simms and dimms. i dont have the
> proper manual for the board but i did manage to download one but after
> reading it. im non the wiser so please help does anyone know if this board
> is a pc-133 or a pc-100 type mem?????????? "
>
> According to http://www.ecsusa.com/products/socket7.html , there are two
> different boards for the MVP3. Do you know which one it is? What K6-2 CPU
> do you have? It should run on PC100 memory anyway; I think they all did.
> If your PC133 DIMM is generic, then it might not clock down to PC100. Do
> you have any means of testing each individual part? (motherboard, memory,
> CPU etc...)

Hi,

I don't know which kind of SDRAM the specific board that phil has takes,
but there are 'low-density' and 'high-density' SDRAMs, and boards that
are built for low-density SDRAMs generally won't work with the
high-density SDRAMs and vice-versa, so maybe he has the wrong density
SDRAM for his board?

Jim

flipper

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002

On Sun, 2 May 2004 22:39:43 +0100, "phil"
<kim.williams20@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi i dont know if anyone can help me but here is hoping!!!
>
>i have just bought a: (board) mvp3 p5
> (chipset) via apollo mvp3
> (cpu) amd k6-2
> (bios) award
>the problem i have is that i have tried to put in some memmory (256 pc-133
>sdram) and all im getting is an error beep (single,repeating loop) i looked
>at the error beep codes on awards web site and it says memmory problem :make
>sure mem inserted....
>
>The board has two types of mem slots simms and dimms. i dont have the proper
>manual for the board but i did manage to download one but after reading it
>im non the wiser so please help does anyone know if this board is a pc-133
>or a pc-100 type mem??????????
>
>thank you
>phil

PC100 vs PC133 does not matter as long as it's fast enough. I.E. PC133
will work for a 100 MHz bus machine but PC100 will not work in a
133MHz bus. (with the exception that Kingston claims their PC133 won't
work in a 100 MHz bus although I'm not sure why they say so unless
they have some bizarre refresh rate).

But not all PC133 memory stick are created equal and, in particular,
most modern flavors use what's called "high density" memory chips. The
impact of this is that older motherboards cannot use them, the 'size'
seeming to be compatible notwithstanding. Often they will be seen as
'half size' or, as what appears to be your case, not work at all.

I hate to say this, as I have the same problem with a couple of my
older systems, but if the memory looks 'affordable' then odds are it
isn't going to work. For example, at one 'discount' memory supplier
the "high density" 256Meg stick is $31 whereas the "low density"
version that would work in your board is listed at $92.

The 'way to tell' they give is "This is a "High Density" memory module
and will only work in systems that can read 1.5GB or more maximum
memory." Now, they're assuming 3 DIMM slots so the point is, if the
machine will not work with 512Meg DIMMs then it won't work with "high
density" memory modules regardless of the actual 'size' of the module
in question, be it 128Meg, 256Meg, or, obviously 512Meg.

For comparison...
http://www.pcboost.com/store/listmemory.asp?IDCategory=94

TRENDING THREADS