back up external hard drive for my laptop

I have a dell laptop (inspiron 4150) and I want to buy an external
hard drive so that if my internal hard drive crashes I can easily
obtain all my data from my external hard drive. I'd like to copy not
just my data files but my operating system (XP home edition) and all
my other programs (eg Photoshop, etc). I've read that BootIT NG does
allows you to do this on your external hard drive but I am a novice on
the computer and I'm not familiar with partitions, etc. Is there a
step by step set of instructions somewhere on the internet for
non-techie like me to follow to do this?

Thanks...Mike Salazar
4 answers Last reply
More about back external hard drive laptop

    Try look for the "Norton Ghost" program from Symantic (see
    symantic homepage : http://www.symantec.com/index.htm) ,
    usually not very expensive and it is doing just the thing
    you need it to do. It works for me ,that is !
    A fine backup program is Iomega ,
    .. (http://www.iomega.com/global/index.jsp) which sometimes
    contains the Ghost software too .

    What you need is an 'imaging program' such as True Image, Norton Ghost,
    BootitNG. These programs will make an exact copy of your system to your
    external drive and allow you to make a bootable recovery disk so in the
    event of an unrecoverable error you can boot with the disk and recover your
    system/data. Of the three programs I noted, I use True Image that is both
    efficeint and easy to use. There is no 'best' program, they all do much the
    same for all practical purposes, the principal difference being the user
    interface.

    "Mike Salazar" <mikesal3731@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a dell laptop (inspiron 4150) and I want to buy an external
    > hard drive so that if my internal hard drive crashes I can easily
    > obtain all my data from my external hard drive. I'd like to copy not
    > just my data files but my operating system (XP home edition) and all
    > my other programs (eg Photoshop, etc). I've read that BootIT NG does
    > allows you to do this on your external hard drive but I am a novice on
    > the computer and I'm not familiar with partitions, etc. Is there a
    > step by step set of instructions somewhere on the internet for
    > non-techie like me to follow to do this?
    >
    > Thanks...Mike Salazar

    Maybe you can help me...I am trying to backup my Dell
    Dimension desktop using the XP backup utility. I thought
    I'd be able to backup just to a series of CDs, but it
    doesn't seem to allow me to do this. I don't have an
    external hard drive. Do you think I need to have one to do
    this?
    Thanks.

    Vickie

    While I don't use the WINXP backup utility, I believe I am correct in saying
    it does not write directly to a CD or an external drive. You could backup
    to your fixed drive then write the file to the CD. The obvious solution is
    to load a third party backup program, there are many available, all of which
    will allow writing directly to a CD and to external drives.

    "Vickie" <vickier@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Maybe you can help me...I am trying to backup my Dell
    > Dimension desktop using the XP backup utility. I thought
    > I'd be able to backup just to a series of CDs, but it
    > doesn't seem to allow me to do this. I don't have an
    > external hard drive. Do you think I need to have one to do
    > this?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Vickie

Laptops Hard Drives External Hard Drive Windows XP