Glen

Can the onboard sound device (Motherboard) and a Sound card (SB16PCI) be used
in Windows XP at the same time (One set to Windows Sounds and Media and the
other set to be used with an independant program? When I go to Sound Devices
in control panel it only has the SB Soundcard in its list and not the on
board sound device. I need both of them in the list so I can chose which one
to use.. Is there anyway to do this.???

Glen

I also forgot to mention it (Onboard Sound) is set to Auto ( there is only
Auto and Disable).

"Glen" wrote:

> Can the onboard sound device (Motherboard) and a Sound card (SB16PCI) be used
> in Windows XP at the same time (One set to Windows Sounds and Media and the
> other set to be used with an independant program? When I go to Sound Devices
> in control panel it only has the SB Soundcard in its list and not the on
> board sound device. I need both of them in the list so I can chose which one
> to use.. Is there anyway to do this.???

On board sound is disabled when a PCI sound card is detected AFAIK.

r.

"Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I also forgot to mention it (Onboard Sound) is set to Auto ( there is only
> Auto and Disable).
>
> "Glen" wrote:
>
>> Can the onboard sound device (Motherboard) and a Sound card (SB16PCI) be
>> used
>> in Windows XP at the same time (One set to Windows Sounds and Media and
>> the
>> other set to be used with an independant program? When I go to Sound
>> Devices
>> in control panel it only has the SB Soundcard in its list and not the on
>> board sound device. I need both of them in the list so I can chose which
>> one
>> to use.. Is there anyway to do this.???

Glen

So in order to have the use of to sound devices on there I would have to put
2 sound cards in the computer since the onboard on automaticcaly disables.
Right?

"namniar" wrote:

> On board sound is disabled when a PCI sound card is detected AFAIK.
>
> r.
>
> "Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I also forgot to mention it (Onboard Sound) is set to Auto ( there is only
> > Auto and Disable).
> >
> > "Glen" wrote:
> >
> >> Can the onboard sound device (Motherboard) and a Sound card (SB16PCI) be
> >> used
> >> in Windows XP at the same time (One set to Windows Sounds and Media and
> >> the
> >> other set to be used with an independant program? When I go to Sound
> >> Devices
> >> in control panel it only has the SB Soundcard in its list and not the on
> >> board sound device. I need both of them in the list so I can chose which
> >> one
> >> to use.. Is there anyway to do this.???

Google search got me this document. Sorry, but I was wrong previously. It
appears as if you can use the on board soundcard as well as a PCI soundcard
as WinXp supports multiple sound.

http://www.mail-archive.com/pc-audio@pc-audio.org/msg04285.html

> So in order to have the use of to sound devices on there I would have to
> put
> 2 sound cards in the computer since the onboard on automaticcaly disables.
> Right?
>
> "namniar" wrote:
>
>> On board sound is disabled when a PCI sound card is detected AFAIK.
>>
>> r.
>>
>> "Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I also forgot to mention it (Onboard Sound) is set to Auto ( there is
>> >only
>> > Auto and Disable).

Glen

I'm trying to use 2 sound cards at the same time... On for 1 thing and one
for the computer stuff....

"Nero" wrote:

> It aint mate.

Nero was responding to my errant post.